Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Gunpowder $3.50/Lbs

Boolit Master

Cheap Gunpowder $3.50/Lbs

Gentlemen,
    Ballistic Solutions called me yesterday with an offer. They have 147,000lbs of H-870 equivilent (20mm) of the new formula that does not decay near as fast and is more moisture resistant. This is pulldown, but is done with a new vacuum procedure that leaves the powder almost as pure and uncontaminated as the day it was made.

Here's the kicker, to get that price you have to buy it all. The next batch they are selling after this one is going up $2 per pound. However, it can be purchased and split up by as many parties as need be. They will also provide 60-90 days of humidity controlled storage, with security provided by the U.S. Army, for free.

If there are any investers, or ammo companies out there that would consider getting in on this, give me a shout. I don't have half a million dollars laying around at the moment to buy it all, but I reall want to see this in the hands of American citizens, because this will load a BUNCH of .338, .300 Win mag, the ultra mags, weatherby's, and many more thumpers.

Anyone with intrest feel free to contact me with questions. It would be cool if we could run this like one huge, professional group buy, but I think that would be dang near impossible. (Does Phillipians 4:13 apply to stuff like this?)

Good Day shooters,
    Aaron Fouraker

IN GOD WE TRUST.

I sure would like to have 20-30lbs of that... But I checked and I also don't have an extra half a Mill laying around.?

If every member on the board bought 5 pounds, all of us still couldn't use up THAT much.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I sure would think we could do this... there is over 16,000 of us now... that is only 9lbs / $35 each... If we were to take it in 100lb lots that would only require 1,470 of us... lets make this happen!

Boolit Buddy
    I have nothing to shoot it in, maybe it's my reason to buy a 50.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Bigger is better ?

It took me forever to use up ONE pound of H870. It was even a little too slow for the 300 Win Mag I had at the time.
    Now, If I had some more of these 30mm Vulcan cases laying around, maybe...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unknowncartridge1.jpg  
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I'd LOVE to have some, but I think I'll wait for another entrepreneur to pick it up so I can buy the smaller quantity I need. C'mon... 100 pounds? Even if I had an extra $350 laying around (I don't), I'd wear out my 7mm Mag (that LOVES 870) long before I ever used it up. Surely someone will grab it. Possibly Bartlett in TN.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Maybe they will sweeten the deal if there are no takers.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned

a case full of slow powders like this can make some good cast boolit loads.
    in cases like the mausers and 308 and even the 0-6.
    put's them out around 2k fps.
    1500 guys at 100 lbs each couldn't be that hard.
    the drop shipping would be the hard part.

Boolit Buddy

Smile Cheap Gunpowder

I'm good for twenty (20) pounds.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Smile H870 powder

wow 147000 lbs of smokless powder. Plus hasmet charges by the way. It must be at a dock in Ohio? I wonder if powder like that can be ground up like coffee beans to speed up the burning rate?
    Honestly, when I was young I would want a bunch of it for no apparant reason, however, I still use the remaining 5 lbs I purchased from Hogdon 50 some years ago at fifty cents a pound (50 lbs of a 100 lb lot). I have used and used it, given some away and still can't use it up. Don't shoot 30 caliber matches anymore and Elk hunting is a thing of the past. So just how much powder stock DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED? THINK ABOUT TI!!! Be Safe

Boolit Master
    I would take 1000 lb if you can figure out how to get it here.
    I think it can be barged to Anchorage and I can pick it up there.
    If anyone thinks its too slow for thier use think again. I shot in the top 10 scores at the Quiggley using H870 in the 45/70. I was shooting it duplex and it shot clean and accurate pushing a 500gn boolit to 1400 fps.
    Its also an outstanding performer in the 7mm mag with bullets over 150gn.

rough guess of 1/10 pound per 20mm round, that means 1.5 million 20mm rounds were broken down?

I'm guessing this stuff would be good for 50 cal shooters.

who would buy this amount?
    got mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Who's going to repackage it?

16,000 bags of powder to be weighed out and shipped is a full time job for someone.

Boolit Master
    I would be in for 200lbs.

Boolit Grand Master
    H-870 and WC-860/872 made sense to try at $4/lb. Now that those milsurps are pushing $9-$10/lb., not so much. Perhaps one of the re-sellers like Bartlett will jump on all or part of this. $3.00/lb was what I paid Bartlett for WC-860 not too many years ago. I think for a re-seller to be attracted to this lot, the vendor will need to sharpen his pencil considerably.

With a 6.0 grain booster of IMR-4198, 48.0-50.0 grains of these powders runs a 405 grain 45-70 boolit at 1300 FPS and leaves no bore trash. In 6.5 x 55 with 140 grain J-words, a 100% density load gives 2450 FPS, which is about 1893 ballistics--quite usable. 60.0 grains behind #311291 runs about 2100 FPS--leaves no bore trash--and shoots pretty well. Having quite a bit of this stuff in stock, I'm looking around for ways to use it up.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 11-04-2010 at 06:53 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Maybe contact Midway or Graf's or even powder valley inc? One of those guys may be interested and could pass the savings down................

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I would probably take 25 to 50 pounds depending on what all it can be used in and what month/time of month it was so I would have the money available.

Anyone have a link to info on what all it can be used in or do I just look up data for H-870?

Michael Grace

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    For everyone complaining how slow this powder is.......... it was my favorite powder speed (actual powder was AA 8700) for the midsize 30 caliber buffered loads. It produces good velocity and accuracy when loaded right. I would take about 800 lbs myself.

Boolit Grand Master

I used it in the 25-06 with 117 and 120gr Sierra seconds years ago. That was H-870. Very accurate, I have no idea of velocity, I didn't have a chronograph in those days. Sold the gun when the oldest was born, he's now 29.

I'd love to try it in my 8x56R's with the Oldfeller Frankenstein boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast