MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 410 slug load questions

Boolit Mold

410 slug load questions

I'm kicking around a couple ideas for a short range .410 slug load.

I've got Magtech brass, Circle Fly overpowder and cushion wads, and a 38-55 (0.379" dia) bullet that casts at 325 grains which equates to the old 3/4 oz shot load.

What I'm considering is paper patching the 38-55 soft lead bullet up to my .410 full choke's "as slugged" diameter, and using Fg black powder duplexed. After having a good chat with the boys in Lewiston, also known as CCI, their info relates that smokeless loads in the Magtech brass causes swelling of the base of the case, which then requires full length sizing with a special die to get the base dia of the brass reduced back down to specs. I'm hoping to avoid that by duplexing, which should also keep the fouling down.

I'm going to chronograph and adjust to establish a velocity of ~1100 fps, which is within specs for the old 3/4 oz 410 loads.

I guess that, long story short, I'm going to try and (re)create a 40 cal black powder cartridge that fits my 410 for use in fairly heavy brush where shooting distances are short.

Anyone have any experience trying this, can see any pitfalls, or have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by 40cal View Post
    <snip> smokeless loads in the Magtech brass causes swelling of the base of the case, which then requires full length sizing with a special die to get the base dia of the brass reduced back down to specs. <snip>
    No special die needed --- just a little bit of improvizing --- Lee brand name 45ACP carbide factory crimp die --- remove the top screw and crimp sleeve so just straight through carbide ring in steel thread tube --- put in reloading press --- take any shell holder --- tape/stick/glue dime to top of shell holder

Place 410 shell whatever type and make on top of dime on top of shell holder and depress press lever --- adjust die depth so that there is just a bbig enoug gap inbetween top of dime and bottom of die so that the rim of the shell doesnt get squeezed down thinner --- lower press ram and 410 shell still stays stuck in die (sized all the way down to rim by doing this way --- the point of whole deal) --- take short length of 3/8 wood dowel and rubber hammer and tap shell out of die downwards --- repeat --- repeat --- repeat

All shells sized down all the way to top of rim --- no prob.

Boolit Mold
    tommygirlMT,

Good idea. Sounds kinda like using the old lyman hand sizer die and punch, but the Lee is a lot easier to find. Thanks for the tip.