RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 bmg

Boolit Mold

Cool 50 bmg

Hi guys,

I was tooling around and found an old thread from 05 about reloading 50bmg rounds. I just recently acquired a 50 cal single shot and have reloaded every other cal ive ever had. Got my self a nice reloading press and now id like to get a casting mold for it. Id like to be at around 660 grains and about .510 diameter. Has anyone gotten a successful mold? And if so where can i find one! Also Did anyone ever figure out an appropriate load for this round with a gas check bullet? I love being able to cast and reload my own rounds simply for the knowledge that i know its done the way i want it. Any help available would be absolutely awesome!!!!

Boolit Master

Wow, you like a challange. I have heard of turning bullets from bronze rod but not casting.
    On the plus side, it will be easier to work with a .5 diameter to make your mould. On the otherhand, that's a lot of case space.
    10 Gr. of Unique may not work in that milsurp.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy
    Contact Rockrat.... He is a wealth of information on loading cast for the 50BMG...

Also Widners has a deal on WC867/WC872 Powder and CCI#35 primers.....

http://www.wideners.com/componentspecials.cfm

.....And THAT is why I love this forum..... Hand cast in a 50 BMG--and someone here knows something about it Gotta love the vast amount of knowledge that clusters together!

10 Gr. of Unique may not work in that milsurp.
    Shooter, I think you're probably right on that one--might need to bump it to 12 or so.

Hey Mill3rman3, you DO realize we expect a full detailed range report as you work that one up, right?
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Banned

The GC's you'll want will be the 512L's in the GB login section.

Jim at CBE in AU does a BMG mould.

Update no. 6 on this link. But it is only 975gr................

http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Mold
    What's life without a challenge? And i will definatly post full detailed reports on my loading experience. I really appreciate all the accumulated knowledge here and have refferanced many things off this site! ill keep posted as i go. At the moment i just got a scope and the reloading press. Time to find a forgiving range and have a little fun making once fired cases!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for that link jeffinNZ that is exactly what i was looking for!!! Gotta dig for some more change in the couch and i will be contacting them!

Boolit Buddy
    NOE offers Rockrats 50BMG boolit as a small group buy if there is enough interest..... You can see it on page #4 in the OP here....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65575

Ya might want to paper patch to keep the lead from touching any of the barrel so you can crank up the speed.

Boolit Mold
    ok this is probably a ridiculously simple question but how does one paper patch a bullet into a casing? Ive never really read anything specifically describing the process. And what kind of paper would i use?

There are 2 whole forums full of paper-patching if you go down the main index page a little way. There is a stickie in the Black powder paper patch forum that covers the basics and there about 13 pages of info in the Smokeless paper-patch section for more specific details including discussions of the different paper types. Lots of helpful enablers down there.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Check out Accurate Moulds, Tom has a boolit around 650gr show in his online catalog that you might be interested in, and I MIGHT have one, three cav. 850gr mould left, if you are interested.

Paper patching is a no-no if you have a muzzle brake. I had a PP mould I was going to try in mine until I was warned about it. Now , I have to relegate it to my 50AK or 50-70

Boolit Mold
    Rockrat id definatly be interested in a mold if you have one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mill3rman3, PM sent

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know of a good loading book besides the lee book that lists any loads for the 50BMG jacketed or gc boolits?

Banned
    Hogdon Powders has loading date for 650gr to 800 gr bullets. If that helps any.

Boolit Mold
    I'll piggyback on your topic with a question if ok. has any one used any of the WC867 or WC872 Widners has on sale? Any opinions good or bad?

Boolit Mold
    Joe thats fine hahaha. And thanks Starnbar ill go tomarrow to pick that book up from the local gunshop. Even if it doesnt have exactly what i want its still never a bad thing to have another loading book!

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone has a mold with interest of selling, please PM me.