Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Freedom Arms 97 - 45 Colt loading?

Boolit Master

Freedom Arms 97 - 45 Colt loading?

For personal use I have been loading my FA Model 97s with Saeco 300-grain bullets. Someone will be moving in with me who finds my heavy AND moderate 300-grain loads a little much.

I seek a 250-grain ± 5 grains bullet to load in a 97. Those of you with experience loading a plain base OR gas check bullet in the 97's shorter cylinder, please identify bullet [molds] that shoot reasonably accurately in your 97 while not requiring "special" loading procedure to load to correct length.

Correct length is very important. The first 97 bullet I loaded was RCBS' 270-grain SAA. Its length required me to crimp over the front band. Accuracy was poor. Saeco's bullet, on the other hand, loads blandly and uneventfully - but it's 300 grains.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Banned

If you have something that shoots right, teach the other person to shoot it.
    I pulled a trick on my girlfriend before we got married long ago by sticking full house loads in the .44 BH, between light loads. She shot them all and I asked if there was a difference. She said a few were LOUDER!
    Please, just how bad are they?

Lyman 454190/9.2 gr Unique

The H&G68, the Mihec 200gr HP 45ACP bullet, or almost any 45 acp bullet for that matter, also work well in lighter loads.

-ktw

Boolit Buddy
    11.5 hs6 and 250 gr swc, sized properly to bore/throats. 1000fps, mas or menos. accurate in three 45 colts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobke View Post
    11.5 hs6 and 250 gr swc, sized properly to bore/throats. 1000fps, mas or menos. accurate in three 45 colts.
    What specific 250-grain mold do you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Lyman 454190/9.2 gr Unique . . . -ktw
    This bullet's nose does not force crimping over front band to meet length requirements in FA 97?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    This bullet's [454190] nose does not force crimping over front band to meet length requirements in FA 97?
    It's a round flat with no front band or crimp groove. The nose is short enough. You crimp to the nose at a point of your choice below the ogive, or in the top lube groove if that suits you.

Other designs that are short enough in the nose and do have a crimp groove are the Lyman 452423 (a short nosed Keith @ ~240gr) and Lyman's Silver Star (452664, large meplat roundflat @ ~250gr). BABore offers a modified version of 454190 with a crimp groove.

I prefer a regular 454190 as that has flown true for me at much longer distances when pushed at moderate velocities than any other bullet I have tried.

-ktw

bhn22
    If you're interested in going the custom route, Veral at LBT can cut you a mould for a 250 gr 45 Colt (or any other weight for that matter) that will fit your cylinder perfectly. It's just a matter of crimp groove placement. Lyman Keith moulds could be an issue since they never seemed to make any 2 moulds alike. I personally favor the most effective bullet designs I can find. My thinking is that spending a little more on a custom mould now will most certainly prevent my having to buy a slightly different mould later. You can use a high performance design where you might get away with a round nose, but going the other direction never seems to work out well for me.