88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester M70

64 72.73%
  • Browning A-Bolt

24 27.27%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 70 or Browning A-Bolt

Winchester 70 or Browning A-Bolt

I'm looking to get a rifle in a WSSM chambering. Something to go in the truck to deer/varmint/coyote hunt with and have a spot and stalk rifle to take out west next year.

I'm not familiar with either the A-Bolt or Model 70 in the super short action. Either costs about the same.

Anyone with personal experience with either of these rifles?

And as far as which chambers, 223-243-25 all have their strengths, so I'm gonna get the first one I find on a good deal and be happy with it.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

I own several Winchester Model 70s from 1939 to about 1990 and they're all fantastic rifles that never let me down. The latest, a M70 FWT .308 is a little picky on what it likes, but it's never failed me.

I never owned a Browning A bolt, or any of the new super short magnums,so I can't comment on them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Buddy

I have a model 70 target in 30-06 which I used to shoot high power matches sometime ago. It is excellent and is the most accurate rifle I have. Trigger is excellent, no problems.

Boolit Master
    Last I heard they are both currently made by the same Company. Maybe that explains why the are both around the same price. Either would be fine. IMO

Winelover

Boolit Master

Talking

You are going to find more after market things for the Winchester like stocks, scope bases and triggers.

Banned

I voted winchester. Not that the browning isnt just as good it just that the win featherweight stock fits me better then any thing else on the market. Nothing is more of a natural pointer for me.

I'm headed into the city this afternoon in hopes of putting my hands on a Winchester. I doubt I'll find a browning around.

Theodore Roosevelt

Working as a gunsmith and having built quite a few of the WSSM guns, I take a very dim view of them. I would recommend a rifle in normal calibers over ANY WSSM, for many reasons. As for the poll, I'd take a M70 over an A bolt any time. Especially an older one with the real M70 trigger, not that new thing they are putting on them.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with Nobade on both points and I can not say enough about the trigger. It can be made both light and reliable.
    Last edited by old turtle; 11-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    All I buy in rifles is model 70's
    wouldn't think of even lookin @ them super short suckers
    just stick with tried and true
    best o luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

After alot more reading and looking around, there's a reason they didn't hit it big. Barrel life. Chrome lined bores to help with the crazy erosion, problem is, the chrome line wasn't very good from what I read. Between that and a lousy brass configuration, I think I'm going back to the drawing board.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I dislike tang safeties and am not fond of the A-bolt. They are not a shaby rifle, I had one, but I like the 70 and 700's better. It really boils down to personal opinion.

Boolit Master
    I have never owned a WSSM or any of the other new fat cartridges and probably never will. i am also not a fan of Magnums in general though I have owned several in the past. I have owned Model 70s and A Bolts in the past though and have a definate opinion on them. The A Bolts are good solid rifles that shoot well however, I would buy a Model 70 over one of them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The M 70 to me is everything a bolt action rifle should be especially the ones built before 1964

Boolit Master

Voted Win 70 because they are what I know. No matter the cartridge, finding one that will fit all future requirements can't be done. What better reason for more than one . You mentioned coyotes to big game? That calls for more than one.

My inclination on future rifle (s) would lean toward semi custom. Look around for a shot out beater Win 70 or Rem 700. Then get a good barrel and have a good gunsmith put it together. Should be about 300 for barrel and 300 to chamber and fit. Jumping on the bandwagon too.... I just don't like the short mags and less so the super short mags. There are plenty of "normal" cartridges out there.

You can't go wrong with an M70 in .30/06! It's such a flexible cartridge, there's always new things to explore with it, (espescilly when you cast boolits for it!).

I remember an article by the late Jack O'Conner singing the praises of the 7mm Mauser, (he did leave the .270 home once in a while). Saying the little 7mm was all most people would ever need, (as I recall his wife was very fond of the little 7mm which probably promped Jack to write about it). Now a days I look at what'll make a good cast boolit rifle, so far it's a .30/06 I built on a WWII Mauser action with a 26" #5 Shillen barrel, but I'm looking at some .338s and .35 calibers based on standard cartridges, (.338 Federal-.338/06-.358 Winchester-.35 Whelen) just for fun and cast boolit hunting. I got a bubba'ed 1917 action around here somewhere...
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Grand Master
    Browning A-Bolts aren't bad rifles, but I grew up on M-70s. The Winchester would gete the nod.

Zero experience with the WSSMs, and that is intentional. Dunno what sort of "Western hunting" you had in mind, but I live out here--and if I had to get by with one rifle and caliber it would be a bolt action 30-06. As shooters and hunters, we can get overly influenced by ballistics tables and their minuteae--when we SHOULD be spending time on the range getting to really know our rifle and its load. A 30-06, 280 Remington, or 270 allows enough shooting to get acquainted with your rifle without significant throat erosion, and without hammering your shoulder at the bench. To paraphrase the late Townsend Whelen--"The 30-06 is never a mistake".

The belted magnums only start making sense to me at the 338 Win Mag level. The 375 H&H isn't bad, either. Both enable quite a bit of shooting without worries about erosion, but benchrest work lacks the comfort of the 30-06. Truth to tell, the 180 grain premium bullet in the 30-06 loaded to modern potential in a bolt rifle (2700 FPS) is one fine game load.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Both should make you happy but my vote goes for the M70.

The new line of big base rounds are designed to shorten barrel life. Just as simple as that.

Or you can go ahead and think politicians are honest.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    The new line of big base rounds are designed to shorten barrel life. Just as simple as that.

Or you can go ahead and think politicians are honest.

Yup.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    That may very well be the most ignorant thing I've read on this board....

I suppose that was the purpose of the .308 winchester too?

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast