RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Boolit for .600

Boolit Bub

Boolit for .600

Guys,
    I am having a .600 BPE double rifle built. It is going to be using 20 gauge barrels turned down to fit inside of a very large SxS. I am going to use 20 magtec brass that are 2.45". The barrels are 1/28 twist. What weight boolit do you think I should go for? I already have a .577 and shoot 535 and 560 grain cast boolits.
    Thanks, TC
    Last edited by fredw1324; 11-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.

For my 600 NE I had Tom from Accurate Molds make me a dual weight/ 2 cavity mold. 550 and 675 for light weight boolits. It normally tosses out a 900 grn J-word.
    IMO for a BPE I'd try to keep it aound 450- 500 grains for a light weight boolit.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I how about the overall length? Do you think a light weight will fly ok?

Boolit Master

Here is a site that you can plug your twist and velocity in and get the boolit length for that twist.

http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/index.htm

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Bob, I'll check it out
    Let Freedom ring!!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    For fun just to get going do not overlooks Round balls.
    Easy to cast and will be more than sufficient to tackle any critter less than angry griz or charging bison.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    I have read a little about round balls, and found that they can be quite accurate too. I will try them, but might have a little trouble getting some that are already cast without buying another mold.

I could send some of mine down when you get ready to play. If you like them then get Tom to build a mold that works.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

My brother and I are experimenting with his H&R rifled 20 gauge. He wants a bear defense round. We are using Blue Dot, MagTech brass shells and three .626 round balls of 350 grains each. Payload is over 1000 grains. We are at 925 fps, our goal is about 1100 fps.

The smile on his face is something to behold.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    Cat, Is that a rifled barrel? and what kind of groups are you getting?
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Thanks AKMike for your offer. The gun will not be finished until this coming spring though if thats ok?

Couple of questions. What is the groove diameter.

Have you considered CBE for a mould. Check update 13 http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0051.html
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Bub
    .610 lands and .615 grooves

Boolit Master

Fred,

It is rifled, very heavy and has .626 grooves. We haven't been shooting for groups yet. This round is a totally new reloading experience for me, so we've been going slowly & carefully.

We shot it yesterday. We used the 15 yard range as it seems to have the best light for the chronograph. The top load we fired averaged 1011 fps and the three balls print clusters that are 3/4 of an inch on centers. He says the recoil is about where he wants it and so I think we'll stop there.

These loads produced some leading for the first three inches of the barrel. The bore is .626 and the balls measure .6255. We rolled 'em in Lee's liquid lube. I'm thinking we need to add some tin to the wheel weights to see if we can get the balls a bit bigger.

Now he has to reload his brass and we'll start shooting for groups and get his rifle sighted in.

This has been fun!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    Very good shooting, I will definately have to try some, How are you closing off the top?

My mold tosses them out at .622 with WW. Maybe too big for your set up?
    Drop me a PM if and when you get around to needing them.

Boolit Man
    Fred how are you building your rifle? are you using rifled 20 gauge or are you turning down rifle barrels to fit inside the shotgun barrel/monoblock? What action are you using? I wanted to build one based on a 50-70, 600 seems like it would kick a bit more than I would want.

Boolit Bub
    fiatmom,
    sorry for not getting back to you (Holidays) The gun is a Zabal 10 gauge with ER Shae barrels. I use magtec 20 gauge brass and will us varied powders including holy black

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A lot of good answers here Fredw1324 ...
    http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/...ad.php?t=97081
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all of the information folks. Will be looking forward to getting my .600 back from the gunsmith probably in the spring. I sent him some brass and the mold that tom made which was a double cavity of 675 and 700 grains. both for soft lead as I personally will never go to Africa, but may go to Alaska for large Brown. i do expect that the charge of powder will be similar between the two guns just a bit more for the .600. right now johan at accurate is working up some loads for the .577 using their 5744 powder as i also want to shoot smokless from time to time..........Have fun, its important!!