Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: bore solvent

Banned

bore solvent

Hi,
    I've been trying many different bore solvent on a used rifle and have some discoloration at the muzzle. I'm assuming that maybe it will be that way and I have to accept it, or maybe it can be corrected.

Without a bore scope, it's really difficult to see the left over, burnt carbon from neglect of previous owners. What will work, as per my decription, and I hope someone else has experienced this too, to remove neglect?

Please define "discoloration" a little better. What color is it now? & what color is the rest of the barrel? Can you post a pic?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned
    sorry no pics..... light black and gray. Although with a bore light it's shiny as can be. At the muzzle with a light and a magnifier I see the light black and gray.

I think you are worrying about nothing. If the rifle shoots fine, then forget about it.

Banned
    I just see build up where the lands meet the grooves. I think my 270 can do better. My cleaning regiment isn't good enough. I haven't been using a brush, until recently.
    A gunsmith said you don't have to use them. I see now you do. SO I know that I'm dealing with neglect. The gun doesn't shoot like it use to. With all the cleaning I've been doing lately I see the lands are more pronounced.

Boolit Bub
    color my be just that, color. residue is another story, and should come out. I would start by patching in some hoppe's 9 and let it sit overnight wet, dry patch in the morning and see if the color transfers to the clean patch. if you get color on the patch, repeat or move on to some serious chemicals like sweets but be careful and don't leave it in too long. follow the directions on that stuff. #9 is safe and will give you an indication of what it may be, and if it will come out.

Boolit Bub
    hey, I'm a boolit "BUB". what is that exactly? I'm feeling a case of boolit envy coming on here. someone help me out on this.

Boolit Master
    It sounds to me that your 270 has fouling buildup in the grooves. I forget the stuff I used but I bought a rifle some years ago that had this problem. I bought some foam bore cleaner that advertized that you could leave it in the bore for a day and it would lift residue and copper fouling. Well I tried it and it worked as advertized but I had to make three appications before I was able to get down to the base metal of the barrel. The end result was that the rifle shot much better than when I got it.

Banned

get some "wipe out" spray in, let it soak for a few hours, patch out, repeat one more time, should have a clean bore. At least that's always worked for me.