Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: .45-60 brass

Boolit Bub

Question .45-60 brass

My nephew recently purchased a rifle in ,45-60 caliber. He is looking for a source of brass with the proper rim thickness. While .45-70 brass can be used the rim is just a little bit to thick. Closing the bolt is difficult. Is there an inexpensive source for correct brass out there some where? What is the source. He wanted a unique rifle for his cowboy shooting activities and he got one. The problem now is feeding it. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Tom

Properly headstamped brass in .45-60 Winchester is available from Quality Cartridge: http://www.qual-cart.com/exotic.htm

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you'll see it listed. Midway is selling some of their products, but I don't know if they're carrying that specific one.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    You might try a piece of cut down 45-70 as it may chamber.
    My old Win 1876 does nicely with it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom308 View Post
    My nephew recently purchased a rifle in ,45-60 caliber. He is looking for a source of brass with the proper rim thickness. While .45-70 brass can be used the rim is just a little bit to thick. Closing the bolt is difficult. Is there an inexpensive source for correct brass out there some where? What is the source. He wanted a unique rifle for his cowboy shooting activities and he got one. The problem now is feeding it. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Tom
    Buffalo Arms has that brass. It is a little pricey no matter who you get it from. They have excellent customer service and could answer any questions you have on the dimensions of the brass. www.buffaloarms.com

According to Midway USA's website they no longer handle .45-60 brass.

I read somewhere that Starline was making .45-60 brass now, but can not confirm that looking through their website.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I had my Uberti 45 Colt highwall rechambered to 45-60 using cases with minimum headspace based on the Winchester 45-70 cases I had. Later, some lots of 45-70 cases were tight for rim thickness, some were not. Remington 45-70s usually work ok when shortened except for the odd case in my chamber.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Bub
    I noticed the Remington cases have a thinner rim. I'll shoot a few of them next outing and save the cases for him to try. If these rims are acceptable all I'll need will be a case trimmer and he can start reloading. I just hope the Remington brass works. I have mostly WW and Rem. there are a few Federal cases as well. Whether it works or not. Thanks for ALL the good advise. It really helps.
    Tom

You can always thin the rim a bit.
    Just get you a file that has one side smooth so it does not cut, then spin the case and take a tiny bit off, just make sure you take it off the front side of the rim.

Michael Grace

Boolit Master
    Another option is to deepen the chamber for the thicker rims. I can't imagine you will need more than a couple thousandths removed from the rim cut and then any 45-70 brass would be usable.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.