Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Barrel question for autoloader folks-

Boolit Buddy

Unhappy Barrel question for autoloader folks-

Gents,
    I'm an old, dedicated revolver guy, having owned and shot countless S&W revolvers, a very few Ruger SSMs, and an odd Colt rimfire or two. Never an autoloader-- too complicated for me with all those slide releases, safety, mag release, etc, etc-
    40 years of revolvers leaves me kind of comfortable with them-
    Problem is-- both my sons-in-laws are autoloader guys-- can't get them to even try a Smith. They both marvel at the groups I shoot so casually with an older target revolver, and they think adjustable sights are un-necessary!
    Anyway, I don't have the knowledge to help them with problems with their XD-40 Springfield and H&K pistols. The XD-40 is back at Springfield right now having trigger problems taken care of-- a really long, spongy pull that goes on forever.
    Andrew's H&K 40 has one of those polygonal bores, and I can't get it to digest any load with cast boolits at all. At 25yds they are tumbling- I've read this is not unusual for a polygonal bore, but--
    Does anyone make a replacement barrel for H&K with standard land&groove rifling?
    Where would we look for this animal, and do you experts think this change might help?
    I've been loading the Mihec 160gr 401, sized 401 w/BAC lube over 5.5gr Unique with WSP primers. This load works well in the XD, but absolutely no accuracy at all in the H&K-
    Where do I turn?
    Thanks for listening!
    Chuck 358wcf

Boolit Master
    Try Bar-Sto Pecision for the H&K barrel.

Recently they moved to Stugis, SD and have reduced the line of barrels they make but I think the H&K is still on the list

Boolit Grand Master

While I have not done it personally, I have read that a polygonal bore will shoot lead,
    but you have to fit it properly. Slug the bore first and make sure you are not trying under
    sized. Get the true "groove" diam and add .001 or .002 for your 'as sized ' diameter.
    Undersized boolits are probably THE most common problem, esp for 9mms.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Jarvis makes rifled replacement H&K barrels. My 6 H&K USPs all shoot wonderfully using the factory H&K barrels and gas checks.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    While I have not done it personally, I have read that a polygonal bore will shoot lead, but you have to fit it properly. Slug the bore first and make sure you are not trying under sized. Get the true "groove" diam and add .001 or .002 for your 'as sized ' diameter. Undersized boolits are probably THE most common problem, esp for 9mms.

Bill
    What Bill said... I shot .40 and 10mm for years from a polygonal rifled handgun (Springfield Omega) in competition with outstanding accuracy, provided the boolit sizing was correct and the lube was sufficient. .001" over 'groove' diameter is just the ticket. The harder boolits (water quenched wheel weight) shot better than the softer ones.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Grand Master

I think the "you can't shoot lead in a polygon barrel" is a myth. The rifling is just different and you have to load accordingly. Some of the early MLs were in a polygon barrel. I shot my glock 22 with it and had no leading. The boolits just need to be large enough to fit proper just like any other gun. The 40 autos tend to like TC lead boolits, I would try those. You need to slug the barrels to make sure you are getting the proper boolit fit.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I load lead in 9m/m, 40S&W, 10m/m, and 45Auto for use in my Glocks and 45Auto for my HKs. I have not tried 40S&W lead loads in a HK (don't have one) but can't see why one couldn't. Loading lead for polygonal barreled guns sometimes takes more time for development than loading for conventional rifled barrels but, where there is a will there is a way.