RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 429383

Boolit Mold

Lyman 429383

Hi there! Just wondering how many of you guys have used the lyman 429383 boolit and what did you use it in? Supposed to be 245 grns, it has a round nose.
    Just picked up a double cavity mold a while ago, it was in the discount bin at the store, the paper inside said it was made in 2000 but it is brand new.
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is my most accurate bullet I use in my .44 Specials. Beats my Keith-style SWC versions, hands down, in terms of target accuracy at 25 yards. Yeah, it may not pack the wallop of a heavier SWC, but all I shoot are targets, so I don't care.

Boolit Master

Very accurate in the .44 Special case and that's what I use mine for. I hollow-pointed one and it makes a nice, accurate plinking bullet. Very similar to the old 429251 which was the factory clone of the .44 Special./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

RemSoles, I also bought a brand new Lyman 429383 2-cav on the clearance rack, for $25.

Earlier this week, I cast about 270 of them, but I haven't had a chance to load and shoot any in my Ruger Flattop 44 Special. With my alloy, they weigh about 248-249 grains each. I'm going to load some test rounds with HP38/W231 and Red Dot to see how they do. I expect them to be pretty accurate.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks fellas! Now I might be forced to buy something to shoot them in. Aww nuts!

Boolit Buddy

Resurrecting this thread to follow up on my earlier post.

As mentioned above, I had cast about 270 of these a few months back. Well, I finally got around to shooting a few at 15 yards and 25 yards this morning in my Ruger 44 Special Flattop.

After I warmed up a bit, I found both of the below loads very accurate. I was shooting at the NRA 50-ft slow fire targets that have the small bullseye for the 15 yard shots, and the NRA 25-yard slow fire targets with big bullseye at 25 yards. I'm no pistolero, but I kept 21 out of 25 shots in the black, standing with two-handed hold and lazy eye closed. Next time, I'll try shooting from the bench at 25 yards.

8.9 grains of AA#5 (.57 cavity, as memory serves, of my Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure)
    5.7 grains of Red Dot (.82 cavity)

The two loads were equally accurate. Note that both loads are warm.

Previously, I've shot a few with 5.2 grains of HP-38, which performed pretty well, but not as well as these. Of course, the problem could have been me, not the load.

This seems like a great bullet for small game to me. The round nose should cause less damage to edibles, and being such a large, heavy bullet would still have plenty of authority even at low velocities.

I was thinking powders like Tightgroup and Bullseye or RedDot may be ideal for velocities from 750-900 FPS.

Anybody use it for this purpose?

Boolit Grand Master
    5.5 grains of Red Dot in my 44 Flattop shoot better than anything else, though my carry load is the "Skeeter" load 429-421 and unique.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4501zzz-vi.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	277656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4502xzzz-vi.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	277657

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Dutchman, those pics look awfully familiar. Are you sure you weren't messing around on my reloading bench? That revolver seems to resemble mine, too. If you're not a cat burglar, then I have to accuse of you good taste.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Some info on your mold-design:

I'm looking at that design for a .44 AutoMag - Keith Lomont back in the 70s said that it's excellent for those.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Like the big brother to the 358311..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek