RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: that darn puff of smoke?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Kinda negates the allure of tumble lubing boolits when you have to hand paint each one, doesn't it?
    You're darn right it does.

If I was going to do that, and you can bet I won't, I would lube them in the Lyman 450. The beauty of tumble lube is you can lube a mountain of boolits in a few minutes. The next day one can load and shoot them.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    LLA and Bullseye. Lots of smoke!
    That's right, if you have no cover, make some!

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    It is not much compared to Black powder. Quit yer sniveling.

Boolit Master

Why is it a problem if you are mostly shooting targets?

Boolit Master
    one, i dont care for it. two, other people around me dont care for it. I know there is not much of anything wrong with it, but you have got to realize how many ignorant people there are out there that will make a fuss / assenine comments about it. Since I also use my 40 ammo to qualify every six months at the SWAT qualifications, I need to minimize the smoke.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I load 45acp LLA / bullseye and had considerable smoke. I now wipe off the bases with solvent and it diminished the smoke considerably but not completely.

Ron

Banned

101, take Doby's advice if you want to cut the smoke. Keeping the LLA off the bases isn't going to solve your problem. Also, if you choose to use a faster powder in the .40, I would certainly use softer boolits than straight linotype, try something like air-cooled wheel weights with a little tin added and keep the velocity around 800 fps to keep pressures under control. BD, HS6, and Longshot all smoke just a little bit more than the faster powders with either Felix lube or Carnauba Red, that is to say with the slower powders and the sun coming from the right direction you might notice it.

Gear

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    one, i dont care for it. two, other people around me dont care for it. I know there is not much of anything wrong with it, but you have got to realize how many ignorant people there are out there that will make a fuss / assenine comments about it. Since I also use my 40 ammo to qualify every six months at the SWAT qualifications, I need to minimize the smoke.
    Before I had given smoke a thought, I didn't care for lube contacting the powder,,,probably not an issue, but.
    I just took a scrap piece of my liner material and rubbed it off after dry, while the liner material was laying flat on a table. I still had a touch of smoke but not every round. When a buddy noticed it I just smiled and said, "kinda adds to the nostalgia of shooting a round that's older than you and me combined"

Now if you don't like it, that's one thing. If shooting in a match and the director complains, that's another. But for those that like to complain or be asses about most anything they disagree with,,,,well they can take it or leave it I figure.
    Kinda like those few that are making some fuss, or just generally being a pita at the range I go to,,,,,When I had enough, I break out the 6mm with the JP brake, put in the ear plugs besides the Pro Ears, and send a few down range. By the 3rd round, I have a all the room I want and no pestering,,,just the way I like it so I can concentrate on my shooting
    Last edited by onesonek; 10-30-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lyman Super Moly, not bad if you soak the excess up by rolling them thru mica. I didn't care for the black color or the way it sticks to the bore, but have absolutely no complaints about it's performance at higher velocities.
    But, like the others, I've become a fan of Carnuba Red- Dang good lube.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I use dacron filler on most cast boolit rifle loads. Recently, a nearby shooter at the local rifle range asked me, "what kind of powder are you using?" He said each shot was followed by a pronounced "fizzing or crackling" sound.

I believe it may be caused by the rapid heating of the dacron followed by cooling as it hits the air. Although I don't hear the sound itself, I can see a small "cloud" of dacron falling to the ground in front of the bench after each shot. - CW
    Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. - Patrick Henry, March 1775

Banned

That's strange, I've been using Dacron for years and never have seen the cloud or dust from shooting it, but I use it in mostly fairly high-pressure applications. I suppose it is either consumed in the barrel or gets blown far enough downrange I don't see it.

Gear

Boolit Man

Love the smell of burning Alox at the range...
    When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilliams2 View Post
    Love the smell of burning Alox at the range...
    ...in the morning?

Boolit Master
    To take the lube off the base of the boolit, I use a peice of carpet 3" X 5" stapled to the bench right next to the loading press. Being right handed I put it on the left side. I use my left hand holding the boolit uprignt and wipe the base of the boolit over the carpet no mineral sprits or any kind of liquid the base of the boolit will come up very clean. I get the carpet at a carpet store for free. They always have some commercial carpet remnents laying around. I have used this method for at least 25 years, and have wiped the bases of boolits that were lubed with LLA and have been stored for longer than six months. Be sure to get carpet with a very low knap ie "commercial" carpet, like the kind used in offices. A piece of carpet 18" wide by 4 or 5 feet long goes a long ways. I change the piece of carpet after about 4 or 5 hundred boolits.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 11-11-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Boolit Mold
    i kind of like the smoke from my blackhawk!lla and reddot makes sum.that reminds me i got to get to casting sum bullets for my ruger old army and get it ready for muzzy deer season in dec.

Boolit Master
    Many people have shot alox based lubes for decades. So .... it's workin for somebody.

I got an early lesson decades ago when I shot bullets that had air holes in the bases of my bullets. These naturally filled with lube in a conventional lubricisor. It remained even though I wiped the base. I didn't care then, it was load and go. When the slugs were recovered, it was still there. Over time, I learned that if I had smoke, it was gone all the time. If it was gone off the base, was it gone off the slug?

Smoke was an indication that something was not right. Seal is on the verge / will be / has been lost somewhere for some reason. I do shoot BE and LLA with minimal smoke that only smells like powder in the air. Not very fast, but it still works. It works right up until the bullet begins to obturate and use it up / require more. Then I smoke. And lead.

So is the lube really the problem? Will it be the cure?
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12