Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing sized/lube boolits

Boolit Master
    Last time I bough a cigr box it was 2 bucks. Been a few years but I think that might still be about right.

I figure after the guy sells all the cigars in them he has no cost in the box itself so if he try's to get to much for them they'll just get thrown out.

Boolit Master
    One more for peanut butter jars.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master

Plastic coffee cans - tough, durable, and air tight.

Just dump them in whatever container suits your fancy. It you use soft lube like a do, a dusting of powder mica in the box will keep them from sticking together, and keep the lube in place.

Boolit Mold
    thanks for all the ideas guys. Unfortunately, I have more time to cast or reload than i do to shoot currently.

Thank you again for the replies, very helpful.

Boolit Buddy

Why do some of you guys stack your boolits neatly into boxes as opposed to pouring them into jars or cans?
    Do you think the boolits will deform? I'm nervous now, I have 100's of lbs. of cast projectiles stored in various jars and cans.

Boolit Grand Master

My reason is simple. The base of the bullet is critical. I don't want ANY dings on the bullets base.

I want the lube to stay in place. Stacking does all of that for me.

I size and lube my bullets shortly after casting. I want them READY when I need them. I have about ten thousand ready to load (.32's, .38/.357's, .44's, and .45's. When they are split amongst the various calibers, it is really not so many.

Further, I LIKE the looks of all of those bullets lined up like soldiers ready to perform.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have seen boolits nicked and dented from rough handling so prefer the stack sized and lubed boolits.
    Raw castings on the other hand can stay in coffee cans until processed further.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a fairly soft lube. I think the company is out of business. Was called "Micro-LUbe" I think. Still have over a hundred sticks.

If you stack them in the neat little layers after sizing and lubing, no lube on the noses to get in your dies. When running a progressive with "messy" bullets I don't want to have to worry about seating depth changes.

And besides, as Dale53 said, all those tins with the little bullet soldiers in them ready to go looks pretty neat.

Steve

Boolit Master
    I use 4 x 4 plastic boxes and stack them nose up.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Springfield Slim sells bullets and he has a neat way of packing them. He puts them in the Styrofoam ammo carriers that may be purchased at Midway or picked up at most ranges. He then wraps them in the clear plastic wrap for storing foods. Lube stays fresh and bullets don't deform. Now that I've told you about a neat way to store them I just toss them all together in cigar boxes. I don't stand them up like little soldiers but toss them like a salad.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

I use cigar boxes, my FIL smokes like a train. The local smoke shop will give you the box if you buy the last cigar, so I've gotten a few nice wooden ones that way, too.

I stack the boolits in rows and layer with heavy, waxed posterboard found on the backing of shrink-wrap automotive gasket packages cut to fit the cigar boxes.

My reasons for stacking in neat rows and layering are many, and have mostly been covered: Plain-based boolits get nicks and dings in the bases when piled in a jar/can, and that does affect accuracy some. I use fairly soft lubes, and they get smeared or make a mess in Texas heat if not stacked neatly. I can flip the lid on a box and count how many are there quickly by adding up the columns and rows. Also, if I'm running a bunch on the progressive, I can keep track of how many I've loaded by precounting the boolits in the box and determining a stopping point. One more thing, they are really easy to place in the box when sizing, and even easier to remove for loading, as they are all pointing up and I can grab the next one in the row without looking, which gives me more focus on the press and reloading process rather than digging for a boolit in a can.

Gear

Boolit Master

USPS small flat rate box is perfect.

YUP
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I have a wooden plank shelf above my loading bench. I have screwed many peanut butter jar lids to the bottom of the shelf and store my boolits in the jars that fit the lids. I can look up and see what I've got to work with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Zip locks, coffee cans.
    +1
    This is how I do it.

Boolit Master
    Ihave to be diffrent. I only lube what i think i will need in the near future.I store my sized bullets (i size after casting)in mayo and 1lb butter tubs.
    There are a couple of reasons for this.
    1. I water drop most everything i cast.Have not been doing this long enough to know for sure but have been told that after time the bullets will become softer.If they actually do i can heat treat to the desired hardness.
    2. I had a rifle that i had cast a bunch of bullets for that i sold(buyer wanted it way more than me) I was left with over 400 lubed and gas checked bullets that i remelted.Lot of lube up in smoke and trying to clean the gas checks was not worth the effort.
    3. If i want to experment with diffrent lubes or hardness for the same gun or a diffrent one the door is still open.
    4. If i stumble across a better bullet i can remelt the bullets without any loss.I currently have about 200 lubed and gas checked bullets that shoot good enough for most things but found a better load/bullet combination and as usuall the two bullets do not shoot to same point of impact.
    Dwight
    Last edited by PacMan; 10-31-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    The raw bullets go into the boxes that my brass was sent in, and the lubed bullets go into old Speer bullet boxes that my son buys the J-word bullets in. I also have some of the white boxes that Midway sells to put a few into, but I really don't keep too many sized and lubed boolits laying around for any length of time before they get loaded...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Go into your local blood collection clinic and ask for the Styrofoam tube holders that they store their vacu tubes in.

They are Styrofoam and in blocks of 100, they have holes big enough to hold my .460" boolits.

Free and work very well, just what I look for

Mike

Boolit Master
    The little tin boxes Altoid mints come in. About 50 .38's in one.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Mold
    Found some cigar boxes that are both plentiful, and cheap. They should hold appx 1800 lubed 38 148 grn WC for me and look great. Cost me a dollar a box, they fit in my reloading cabinets and shouldn't be too heavy when full. They will also stack well.

Pic posted shortly after I finish lubing and sizing another 1k or so.

I have the next 8 days off from work and plan to spend 90% of my time casting and getting my garage/reloading set up better organized and ready to rock!

SO excited. Thank you all for everything. More coming soon. Dang I am stoked.