Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing sized/lube boolits

Boolit Mold

Storing sized/lube boolits - FOUND!!!

Sorry, I feel like this is a dumb question; however, I have started producing enough boolits that I have to ask.

How are you guys storing your boolits once they are sized and lubed? Up until recently, all mine got loaded almost immediately once they were ready. I recently got a 4-20 Lee melter and my production has gone way up and tossing them all on top of each other in a tupperware doesn't seem right. . . In addition, the lube I am making is pretty soft and I am concerned that it will not stay in the bands as it should.

Advice, suggestions, pictures are all welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by rugerp89ipsc; 11-04-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Banned
    All of mine are placed in cartridge trays, generally the speer 40/45 trays.

Boolit Master

I use peanut butter jars, or sometimes plastic mayonnaise jars. But are really tough clear plastic.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    All of mine are placed in cartridge trays, generally the speer 40/45 trays.
    Is this something midway would carry? Is this something that's intended purpose is storing bullets, or is this just another use and I should search for some sort of storage box?

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Boolit Master
    Cigar box's are the "traditional" boolit storage systems!

You can usually get these at most smoke shops, I prefer all wood to the cardboard ones but they usually go for a few xtra dollars.

Thankfully my boss got hung up on being a "gentleman" cigar smoker, came right after his dabbling in fly fishing, and I now get some real nice wood box's after he empties them.

Generally I stack the bottom full then use a thick piece of construction paper on the first layer to form another "floor" then fill that level.

Some times I can get three layes in a good sized box depnding on the length of the boolit of course!

Check out a local smoke shiop and you'll see what I mean!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you so much. There happens to be one in my district that I work. Gonna go check that out. Trying to get my reloading room, I mean garage, better organized and stackable is what I am looking for.

Can you give me a rough price idea?

If the boolits are lubed with a hard lube, then I just bulk pack them & don't worry about it. If they are lubed with a soft lube, then I try to pack them so that they are all standing on end & not bumping into each other. If they are lubed with Lyman Super Moly lube, then I pack them in an air tight container, otherwise the Moly lube dries out & shrinks a lot.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

I stack mine on their base in rows in plastic boxes. The particular box shown is my favorite size. The lid has a latch on each of the four sides and is air tight (no dust or insects). I use Carnauba Red lube so it is not bothered by high or low temps normally encountered. The boxes are purchased from my local super market.

Dale53 (from Utah on a borrowed computer)
    Last edited by Dale53; 10-28-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Just recentley I found a plastic bag of .38 caliber boolits, they were placed on an odd shelf in the cellar next to the coal bin, These were lubed with straight Bees Wax, and except for the 1/4 inch of dust and grit on the bag they were perfect, must have been placed there 30 years ago, for reasons unknown.............................steg

Boolit Master
    i stand mine on their base in a beer flat, then keep stacking flats on top for every layer of boolits. works ok and the price is right.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

In Remebrance

Zip locks, coffee cans.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a basement full of "cookie tins", round metal containers with lids. I find them at yard sales, generally around .25, or you can buy them new at Wally World. The best time of year to get them for free is around Christmas. Lots of cookies and candies given away in these and after the goodies are gone the tins go in the garbage.

I stand up all my bullets after sizing and once the bottom layer is full, cut a circular cardboad divider from something like a cereal box and start the next layer. The 6" to 8" diameter tins are really handy and a whole lot easier to move than the 12" to 14" ones. I have two of the larger ones that are designated for H&G wadcutters that hold approx 2500 bullets each (stacked in 3 layers). When one gets empty, it is time to cast, size, and fill the other one. Keeps me from running out.

Also, I store these on the bottom shelf of my reloading benches. With severl hundred pounds of sized and lubed bullets down there, I don't have to worry about my bench moving or wobbling even when doing re-sizing or swaging.

Steve
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 10-28-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: put in wrong H&G number - deleted

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    +1 on the coffee containers
    Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    I use peanut butter jars, or sometimes plastic mayonnaise jars. But are really tough clear plastic.
    Apparently great minds think alike. My wife is always ready with the comments when I wash out a peanut butter jar or another clear plastic container to take to the shop, but they are the most convenient containers for me.

I learned the hard way that lubed boolets don't need to set exposed to the air for a long period of time. I've got some boughten boolets that I got several years ago and the hard lube has dried even harder and shrunk to where I need to relube or tumble lube.

John
    W.TN

used coffee cans, ziplock bags, USPS free mailing boxes even used candy boxes.

Any type of glass jars and zip lock baggies too.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I use the Dillon storage boxes, small size. Perfect for single layer rifle boolits, double layer pistol boolits. I've been using them about 8-9 years now with no failure of the hinge.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con..._Boxes__small_
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

USPS small flat rate box is perfect.

Boolit Grand Master
    they usually don't last that long
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

white eagle, I was thinking the same thing, shoot more