RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tumbler

Boolit Mold

Homemade tumbler

Has anyone tried to make a homemade tumbler or has plans on how to make one. I'm too frugal to buy one and I've got a lot of brass I want to clean before I try and trade some of it away for a caliber I need. Thanks.

Moore, yes, I made my own vibratory tumbler from scratch and it works great! They are nothing more than a motor mounted to a container of some kind that is suspended by springs from a base so it can vibrate freely. The motor shaft has a off center weight that creates the vibration. I used cheapie tupperware bowl as my container. Very easy to build really. Mine has a slower vibration rate that is much quieter then my commercial made one and it cleans just as well.
    Take care, Moptop

I built a rotary using a five gallon bucket. It uses a two horizontal parallel shafts on bearings for the bucket to lay on. One shaft is connected to an elect motor via v-belt pulleys. The shafts are covered in heater hose to provide friction.

Works OK. I use my old tumbler media in it with NuFinish to do large bulk lots. I then later finish with my little vibratory tumbler when ready to load.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had plans for several bookmarked until a computer crashed and we lost A LOT of info.

Do a search of the sight as well as the web.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

Old roller skate wheels, a Bar-B-Q roterissie motor, a large #10 (?) can, a 1/4" socket from a socket set. Weld the socket to a thin piece of steel in the center end of the can. Mount the motor at same height as can on wheels. Cut a piece of 1/4" square rod to connect motor to can socket. Cut out opposite end of can and put several agitators in the can, pop rivet 1/4" angle rib metal. Put brass and media in can, put on lid and start motor. I used this type tumbler for about 3 years when I first started loading back in the `50`s.Robert

for a grin ...scroll down to post #28

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...t=94878&page=2

but then remember with that grin that it works ......

Boolit Mold
    You know, I love the treadmill idea. Just happen to have one but I bet my wife would kill me if I told her I was going to use it to tumble brass. I think I'll try the 5 gal. bucket idea. Thanks everyone for the input and I'll post pictures once I get it done.

Here's a picture of the one I built. Hope that helps inspires someone to maybe make a better one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0987.jpg  
    Take care, Moptop

better as in looks or working ? ( and it's the last that counts , then comes durability ) quite a piece of engineering amigo !

" You know, I love the treadmill idea. Just happen to have one but I bet my wife would kill me if I told her I was going to use it to tumble brass."

ummm she'd be impressed by the miles u racked up on it.....until she found out why ( and ummm why do i suspect she uses it the most ? )

Boolit Master
    Well the treadmill with 3 jugs has great capacity anyway.

I used a rotisserie motor (free), old garage door rollers and a ½ gallon salsa jug,
    plywood frame.
    Hardest part was cutting a square hole in the bottom of the jug to fit on the rotisserie shaft.
    Had to keep a finger on the hole when loading or unloading.
    Being a square jug the corners acted as agitators.
    It was pretty slow.

And I thought I was the only one who has used a treadmill for a tumbler!!!!!The treadmill sat there unused, so I found a use for it.It drove my wife so crazy, she went out and bought a tumbler(Frankfort Arsenal) to get me to stop using it! LOL
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Boolit Mold
    What about the exersize bicycles? I bet we could rig up a bracket to support a tumbler drum and turn it as you peddle it it'll turn the drum and after a mile or so you'll have clean polished brass.

sure why not ? have u seen the foto of the foreign guy peddling one that runs a generator that powers his lap top ? funny stuff if i could find it again i'd share it ( i think it was captioned " microsofts help fone support "

anything that turns it in the media should work , some better than others , i always liked the concrete mixer ones but ... i never had that much brass that needed cleaning at a time , thought i saw that midway had the FA one down to 39-40 on sale last nite while i liked the older 1292 the new one does work
    anyone recall ye olde vibra tech ones ? the ones that are on a block of wood ? they used a gallon plastic ice cream tub on a flat piece of metal attached to a 2x8 ( or 2x20 depending upon the model ) those were some noisy dudes !! i still have a large one i'd sell for the right song ( ie; about a $20 -30 concert ticket )

Boolit Mold
    I've seen the Microsoft support guy peddling. You've got to ask yourself if it could be true sometimes.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Somebody else has a Vibra-Tech noisemaker! I still use mine…outside next to an annoying neighbor's house as early as legal on Saturday mornings. Adjust the wheel for maximum "buzz," and leave it alone. Sometimes I even run it empty. I also keep my metal chop-saw in that quadrant of the yard, and have been known to cut scrap for no real reason, also early in the morning.

I just LOVE this neighbor…

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moore View Post
    Has anyone tried to make a homemade tumbler or has plans on how to make one. I'm too frugal to buy one and I've got a lot of brass I want to clean before I try and trade some of it away for a caliber I need. Thanks.
    How about using an old tire (with no wheel)? Put your brass and polishing media in to fill the bottom and roll it around for a couple of hours.

lolz @ typecaster ...i gave one to a bud once ( yes i admit i had two of them ) he threw it away [gasp] stated it was too noisy ..i agree they are noisy and perhaps not the best but they do work and if fined tuned per load they work decent , not great but adequate , set it on a upside down cookie sheet for maximum ummm buzz/rattle ( mite have to velcro it in place tho )

Boolit Grand Master

youtube has a bunch of ideas...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...tumblers&aq=1m

Ball mills, rock tumblers, brass tumblers, da same kind.
    Also search for "homemade brass tumbler".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance

OMG, just don't make one like this guy did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8uzk681Fco

Did he just burp??????

And, did he suggest that if, "she doesn't behave, just beat her?"

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    I changed my mind and made a vibrator. Doesn't look the like much but it sure turn the sand I used to try it out with. It was cheap too, got only $4 in it. I'll check out our local Southern States and see if they have ground corncob media then I'll really see how good it works. Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vib (Small).jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast