Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Sizing die in .411 rant

Moderator Emeritus

Sizing die in .411 rant

OK,
    what's the deal ?
    why doesn't Lee or Lyman offer a sizing standard die in .411 ?

I know the 41 Mag is more of a cult following and not much of a "standard"
    but, I'd assume many of us (41 shooters) are casters, do most that cast for 41 not size .001" over ?

If this is a stupid question, feel free to call me out on it.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Probably the same reason they don't make .432" and .433" for the .44s, and they are far from cult.

Boolit Master

Good question? Why not in .432 and .460" also. I had my .411 made custom as well as my .432 and .460.

Seems to me as long as Lyman is set up to hone sizers, it would be quite easy to tweak the grinder for .411,.432 and .460 just as easy as .410, .431 and .459.

Out of about 90 sizer dies that I have, I don't think that more than a dozen are what is stamped on them. The remainder are too big and too small by a big tolerance in some cases.

My machinist shooting partner says they should be able to hold +/-.0003".

Wonder what the problem is??????/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

I buy most of mine from Rick (Buckshot), anyway!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Lap it out to the size that you need or get Buckshot to do it for you. I wish that they made sizers in "Over" diameter too. Lathesmith can also build them.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Seems like most manufacters of sizing dies follow the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook reccommended bullet sizes. I.E. 410 for 41 Mag and 429 for 44 Mag, etc.

A friend reamed out my Star 410 die to 411 because that's what he wanted for his boolits.

I would like to see a reloading manual that use a selection of S&W and Ruger pistols and publish real results.

We are lucky that the members of Cast Boolits has done this and are willing to share thier results.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Banned

I quit following most of the advice in Lyman's books the day I found this site. You don't always need to go over groove diameter with your boolit size, but it does seem to be a pretty good rule of thumb. With revolvers, especially those with oversized cylinder throats, I find myself lapping boolit moulds and honing sizing dies and reloading dies also to get as much as .003" over groove diameter in some cases. If you shoot cast and want the best possible accuracy and functionality, you will likely need to modify standard production stuff or buy custom.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I shoot 41´s and lap out all my stuff. .411 & .412 ... I even have a .413..
    Why I even shoot 414 supermag and my next Marlin project (336) will be a 414 sm...
    But I agree.. you think Lyman would WAKE UP!!!!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Looks like it will be DIY time for the 41.
    The majors won't make a rifle for the 41. Their killing their own sales. Go figure.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The 41 mag having the large primer actually should have been a 414 supermag all along. The straight up 41 mag should have had the small primer from the beginning. The Marlin in standard form makes the recoil of the 41 maggies very tolerable even for the most sensitive folks. The 41 recoil is a joke compared to the fully loaded 45 colt using the 300 plus grainers. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold
    I ended up just shooting my cast bullets un-sized. The 50 yard group of sub-1" from my Marlin 1894 carbine suggests that sizing of this bullet may be unnecessary. I am working on becoming proficient at 100 yards to see if my reload will work again without sizing the bullets.

Boolit Master
    I use a Saeco sizer and with the cost of dies i have started buying one size smaller dies than i need just in case they size a little large. If need be they can be laped out. I have had Lathsmith lap several and he does real good work. I am now laping my own if when i need .001 or less.Go much larger and then you may need a larger pin to solve lube problems which Lathsmith can furnish.

Case in point i was about to order a .411 die for my newly aquired .41 mag but after sluging the barrel and cylinder throats i found that sized to .411 may caues problems with some bullet designs.I will now order the .410 and if need be lap out the die.
    Dwight

Sounds like a group buy project...................

Boolit Grand Master

I don't even think about getting the size I need from the factory I just buy something close and slightly under and lap till it shoots. Chances are that if you bought a 411 you would find out you need a 412. Just buy the 410 and go to work on it.

Boolit Bub
    The "inertia" show by many firearms and reloading equipment manufacturers is, I believe, a result of several factors.

• First, cartridge firearm development took place over many decades and specifications of successful products became "institutionalized". As time passed the reasons for the various specifications and standards grew vague and less relevant, but they were still standards. It's the old "don't argue with success" issue.

• Over the years old-line arms companies are acquired by marketing conglomerates with no interest whatever in product changes that won't have significant positive impact on bottom line. Holding companies' product is market share not arms products and their customers are not shooters and reloaders but potential stockholders.

• In a corporate environment like the above, any change in a product with a high perceived liability is vetted by legal departments on many levels. Changes for safety and liability reasons are much more likely to succeed than changes for marketing reasons. However, even safety reasons don't make the cut until the SHTF.

So, wanna .411-.412 die from Lyman? Ha! Lotsa luck. Best to look on what is available as raw material for a lapping rod.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Banned

my thoughts on it are.
    they can't make a mold that pours over .410 why would you wanna size over 410.

Boolit Master
    RCBS makes this one, will fit the Lyman but is pricier. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=768820
    will need s little lapping is all.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Cupla things with the 41 mag. I had a Ruger and the barrel slugged .411" I got a reamer (still have it) and reamed the cylinders to .412". I also had Buckshot make me up a series of dies in .001" increments. I think I now have from .408" to . 417" but there may be a break in there somewhere.
    The cartridge that really prompted the die set was the 405 Win which between original and replica guns seem to run anywhere between .410" and .415" groove diameters.