Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my FA breaks again

Boolit Master

my FA breaks again

i currently own 3 FA revolvers, i now usually shoot about 4 to 5 hundred rounds a year from each gun with about 90% of those loads in the 1100 to 1450 fps range . but i used to shoot more!
    this one was my first 454 casull so its been shot more and has had more full loads through it than the others .
    well for the first 7 or 8 years i had no problems ! in the past 6 years its broken patrs 4 times right before hunting season . i think this pistol was built by a animal rights advocate that likes shooting ?, 2 times the trigger spring broke in half , last year the hammer main spring got weak and i was getting missfires, no problem just replace the parts they sent me ! this year the nose of the firing pin broke off ! for the repair i have to send it back to FA in order to get my gun retrofitted to the replacable firing pin assy conversion cost $85.00 plus shipping and ins both ways.
    im not really complaning as with cars if you use them thing will break or wear out !
    i guess im not happy unless i cant fix it myself and then have to spend the extra $ to pay someone else to !
    and yes i can and do fix my own cars im a retired master auto technican with a amature gunsmith asprations. bob
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 11-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    i currently own 3 FA revolvers, i now usually shoot about 3 to 4 hundred rounds a year from each gun with about 90% of those loads in the 1100 to 1450 fps range .
    this one was my first 454 casull so its been shot more and has had more full loads through it than the others .
    well for the first 7 or 8 years i had no problems ! in the past 6 years its broken patrs 4 times right before hunting season . i think this pistol was built by a animal rights advocate that likes shooting ?, 2 times the trigger spring broke in half , last year the hammer main spring got weak and i was getting missfires, no problem just replace the parts they sent me ! this year the nose of the firing pin broke off ! for the repair i have to send it back to FA in order to get my gun retrofitted to the replacable firing pin assy conversion cost $85.00 plus shipping and ins both ways.
    im not really complaning as with cars if you use them thing will break or wear out !
    i guess im not happy unless i cant fix it myself and then have to spend the extra $ to pay someone else to !
    and yes i can and do fix my own cars im a retired master auto technican with a amature gunsmith asprations. bob
    I won't comment on Freedom too much because I get in trouble.
    My SBH just exceeded 61,000 rounds with no wear of any kind that can be measured. I did replace the mainspring every so often as accuracy would go down so I use Wolff over power springs now.
    In my opinion, Freedom should pay for repairs and shipping. I think you should have called and argued about it.
    I hope you got the other parts FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    My SBH just exceeded 61,000 rounds with no wear of any kind that can be measured. I did replace the mainspring every so often as accuracy would go down so I use Wolff over power springs now.
    In my opinion, Freedom should pay for repairs and shipping. I think you should have called and argued about it.
    when are you not in trouble. lol. I don't own a FA, but I was thinking the same thing. given how much they cost, they should pay for the repairs, shipping, etc. but then you would probably having people doing stupid stuff. I just think 2300 is a bit much for a premier.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Banned

bummer about that bobthenailer. If I paid that much for a FA I'd hope that NOTHING EVER breaks on it, and it shouldn't!

Boolit Master
    If I paid that much for a gun I'd expect it to kill the deer, clean it, carry it back to camp and maybe even throw it up on the buck pole for me.....

Banned

Ive got two a 454 and a 475 the 454 is older and has no doubt at least 10k rounds through it with absolutely no problems and the 475 probably half that again no problems. I guess its like buying a car. two people can buy the same car and one will last 200k and the other will die at 80. Poor luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I have about 18000 rds through my 97. From ACP to very heavy. No problems to this point but I have to agree with you 100%. Even after the use I've given my revolver and the years I've owned it I'd be on thier butt to fix this gun/investment without much monetary imput on my part. My freedom is by far the most expensive gun I own and I would expect them to treat me well if I had a problem.

How do you guys keep track of how many rounds you have through your guns. I have no idea how many rounds I've fired in any of my guns, not very many would be my guess as I don't get to go out and shoot near as much as I would like to.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    How do you guys keep track of how many rounds you have through your guns. I have no idea how many rounds I've fired in any of my guns, not very many would be my guess as I don't get to go out and shoot near as much as I would like to.
    I don't know about the other guys but for me it is pretty simple. I use my reloading log. I keep of record of every round manufactured and know which gun/guns the rounds were made for. I usually add "field notes" or "range reports" to the log to give me a understanding of how the rounds/gun are performing.

I've started threads asking about note taking before and it seems a lot of folks have a notebook page for each gun with notes on what it likes and what they have shot with it. I find that with exception of .44 mag and .45 ACP...I don't shoot any calibers that I have more than two guns for so I find that the notes within my reloadin log are adequate. I still find it amazing going back through the notes how you can see a "learning curve" or can tell what you were thinking just by looking at older loading data.

Most likely more of an answer than you were looking for but that is how I keep track

Not sure any of us shoot "as much as we would like"

Boolit Master
    I open primer boxes to keep count. In other words, if I open a box (1000) of small pistol primers, it is marked for .... say my FA Model 97, 357. I also have an 8 3/8 ths Model 27, a 4" 627. Each gets it's own box and those are tallied with the end flap of that box thrown in the gun's case. Same with 22LRs. But round count is everything for me.

So if you ask me how many rounds, I know I have been through 2000 primers for the Freedom 357. Another box for that gun has been opened, so I am somewhere over 2000, but once I get to 2,000, I pretty much round off after that. If it get's too cluttered in there, I add'em up and put the total inside, then start flapin again. But 2000 is the deciding line where the decision is made to keep a gun or not.

And the count isn't anal either. I may grab from another box if I don't have enough primers on stock. And I will put back too if I remember. So the count helps me to keep a primer inventory cushion also. Most important during this last shortage period for sure where I was lucky enough to never missed a beat.

But round count drives my schedule for everything from die cleanings and inspections to detailed gun cleaning and disassembly to lead recovery. Too much work diggin and screenin if there ain't enough lead out there to make it worthwhile.

Memory is just a recipe for failure anymore. So it pays dividends for me to keep a count. For others .... maybe not so much.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Grand Master
    My FA 83 has given me zero problems.

If your guns are the Premier model, they have a lifetime warranty. Mine is a field grade, so only had a 1 year warranty. That makes no sense to me, the Premier and field grade are constructed of the exact same components, the only real difference is cosmetics.

But the "lifetime warranty" does not really save money or inconvenience in any firearm. I own several Taurus revolvers, the one time I used warranty repair, it cost me $55 for shipping and insurance, plus a 3 month wait for it's return.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

the FA in question is a field grade [ no warntee] . i bought it slightly used from a friend . the other 2 are field and a premier grade also bought slightly used , all at a reasonably price.
    as for the parts i paid for them as the field grade is the one that keeps breaking. but the parts were not expensive and i did the work myself.
    yea ! what about a factory recall! i checked my other FA and they dont have the new type firing pin retrofit either. but i think $85.00 is a fair price for the conversion/retrofit its the shipping and insurance that gets me ticked! off it will probley be at least another $50.00 for that maybe each way ?
    the lifetime warntee on a premier grade is only to the orgional owner and cannot be transfered so in my opion a premier grade used is not worth more than $200.00 more than a field grade used! ive made some allowence for the brighter finish and the wood grips and fully adj click sight.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 10-28-2010 at 09:31 AM.

is there two different types of firing pins? an old and a new? and the new is better. If so seems they should do that for free. but the shipping is the kicker .
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Banned

Never had a problem with Ruger. Sent back a few used guns and they fixed them free and paid postage. They never asked anything.
    Remington will direct you to a service shop and no charge is made no matter how old the gun or how many owners.
    Buy a scope and it breaks after 20 years and they fix it.
    Sorry, I will not get on the money first bandwagon!

Boolit Grand Master

I am not "down on my luck" and have an adequate income. Frankly, I could buy about any gun I want. However, I will NOT be paying over $2000 for a revolver any time soon. My Ruger single actions, with just a bit of trigger work, shoot extremely well. My .45 Colts did benefit from reaming the cylinder throats (did several of these myself - I was trained as a machinist). At any rate, for less than $600.00 my Ruger SS Bisley .45 colt/.45 ACP Convertible offers great accuracy at reasonable ranges ( 100 yards) and when reloaded properly, the "Ruger only" loads offer all the power this ol' deer hunter could conceivably want.

That is just one recent example. My Ruger .44 Lipsey Special, by any reasonable test you could give it is a "Premium" revolver. You know what they cost - MOST reasonable. The only thing I had done to it was a trigger job. I could go on and on about other Rugers and S&W's but you get the idea where I am coming from.

At one time I seriously considered FA. However, when I saw that after you spent $2000+ on the gun they still wanted extra for a trigger job. That did it for me - I haven't thought about an FA since. Funny thing, I have never missed one, either

On the other hand, if an FA is your "cup of tea" have at it!

FWIW
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 10-30-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I am not "down on my luck" and have an adequate income. Frankly, I could buy about any gun I want. However, I will NOT be paying over $2000 for a revolver any time soon. My Ruger single actions, with just a bit of trigger work, shoot extremely well. My .45 Colts did benefit from reaming the cylinder throats (did several of these myself - I was trained as a machinist). At any rate, for less than $600.00 my Ruger SS Bisley .45 colt/.45 ACP Convertible offers great accuracy at reasonable ranges ( 100 yards) and when reloaded properly, the "Ruger only" loads offer all the power this ol' deer hunter could conceivably want.

That is just one recent example. My Ruger .44 Lipsey Special, by any reasonable test you could give it is a "Premium" revolver. You know what they cost - MOST resonable. The only thing I had done to it was a trigger job. I could go on and on about other Rugers and S&W's but you get the idea where I am coming from.

At one time I seriously considered FA. However, when I saw that after you spent $2000+ on the gun they still wanted extra for a trigger job. That did it for me - I haven't thought about an FA since. Funny thing, I have never missed one, either

On the other hand, if an FA is your "cup of tea" have at it!

FWIW
    Dale53
    That is true, I heard it was close to $100 for a trigger job.
    I did one for a friend and found the metal parts were just fine but the trigger spring was just too strong. It took me 15 minutes to wind a new one that took it to 1-1/2 great, creep free pounds.
    Is that what they charge $100 for, a lighter spring? I bet they have a bin full of them waiting when they could have put them in at first. I also notice most other things like grips and scope bases are not to be found except from Freedom at a premium prices and the gun needs drilled and tapped.
    Buy a Caddy and need a $500 starter that is the same as the $30 Chevy starter but it is pride of ownership I guess.
    I have built some mighty fancy custom guns in my life that most would never take in the field but when they left here, they were perfect and they shot as good as they looked. I never, ever wanted to see one come back for any reason, none ever have! Most important is those fellas that own them are still life long friends.
    I could never look a man in the face and tell him it would cost $75 to do a Ruger trigger when it takes me 20 minutes. Done too many FREE! I could not sleep at night after cheating a man.
    A custom Springfield with a $300 hunk of wood with fancy checkering, thick hand rubbed finish, trigger and other metal work, scope mounting, tuned to 1/2" at 100 yards, I never, ever came near the cost of a Freedom----Darn it, I could be rich today!
    What do I have? PRIDE AND FRIENDS, best there is.
    I see it here on this site every day. Fellas that will do anything for a guy even if he is new.
    Look at yourself and then look at some companies! Don't you see a difference?

Googly-moogly...would you tone it down, your scaring my model 83 .475 linebaugh!!

Banned

There is not a single difference in the field and premier except the finish. Last premier I had here was nothing more then Scotch-Brite and I removed a scratch with the stuff.
    The extra cost is warranty.

Banned

there is also a differnce in the rear sight and grips. Fitting a set of grips as well as FA does takes alot of time and is probably the biggest differnce in price between the fitted grips of a premier and the *** rubbers on a field.

Boolit Master
    I don't own one, but after shooting a brand new one last month my thoughts have changed. I have shot a pile of Ruger revolvers and can not say I have ever shot one that came close to grouping like the FA. Of all the IHMSA shooters I know, I have heard of 0 problems with the FA's.
    I know a lot of guys dry fire. I have always thought it to a bad habit and cringe every time I see or hear of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast