Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Exposure

Banned

Salmonella here....
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-04-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Banned

On to the mountains and jungles with a Kalashnikov..

Banned

Sipping an adult beverage on the Mekong.. .....

Boolit Master

A Big Guy like you drinking out of a straw?! What is this world coming to... Next you'll say you are trading in your lever actions for one of the new plastic-stocked polygonal rifled .375 Whiz-bang Magnums because you read about it in the latest Gunshooter Magazine...

Just starting stuff.... Glad to hear you are better.

Bruce

Banned

At least I'm not using my tea cup pinky..

Boolit Grand Master

Our bodies are wonderful and beautifully made. Each one is different, and different biochemically. There are enough commonalities that many meds work, but with varying and different secondary (side) effects. All of our bodies make colesteral, it's necessary. Some do a better job making it, some do a better job removing it from the blood. Same with lead or any other harmful substance - some bodies are better at removing it from the blood than are others. If you don't believe that, look at the differeing reactions to alcohol across individuals! Why do some smoke all their lives and never get lung cancer or stroke while others come down with lung cancer having never smoked?

Pat, we know that all of the heavy metals are bad for us, especially for developing children. It's not just lead.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Talking

With the depeleting ozone layer just think of it as radiation shielding! Casters-reloaders-shooters will be the only people left in 50 years!
    What a wonderful world it will be.

Boolit Master
    A question. If lead is so bad for us, how did folks get along so long with lead paint, lead water pipes and leaded gasoline, lead pencils, etc... I'm am NOt suggestiong that we all go out and eat lead pain chips and start chewing on lead bullets as the latest nervous habit, but heck, people use to even eat and drink off of pewter plates and cups. Seems to me I see more "damaged" children now than then. Is lead just one of the vouge boogeymen?

Thoughts?

Ron

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    With the depeleting ozone layer just think of it as radiation shielding! Casters-reloaders-shooters will be the only people left in 50 years!
    What a wonderful world it will be.

LOL...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ron brooks View Post
    A question. If lead is so bad for us, how did folks get along so long with lead paint, lead water pipes and leaded gasoline, lead pencils, etc... I'm am NOt suggestiong that we all go out and eat lead pain chips and start chewing on lead bullets as the latest nervous habit, but heck, people use to even eat and drink off of pewter plates and cups. Seems to me I see more "damaged" children now than then. Is lead just one of the vouge boogeymen?

Thoughts?

Ron
    And the average life expectancy was what, 40 years? That's not to say people didn't live longer, just more died early. Infant/child mortality was approaching, I think, 30%. I don't have the research in front of me at the moment.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master
    Wayne,

True, but alot of that had to do with deaths due to WWII, either from actual combat, colleteral damage, or lack of food and medicines due to the break down of the supply chain.

Ron

When the University of Alberta team uncovered the frozen bodies of the lost Franklin expedition they did tissue samples on the bodies. All had extremely high levels of lead and were indeed suffering from lead poisoning. The British Navy at the time sealed their tin goods with lead solder and tea at one time was packaged in lead packaging. Their tin drinking cups were also soldered with lead. My Grand-dad used to melt the bags down to make bullets for my .41LC.

Both Canada and the US began setting standards for food preparations around the turn of the century because of some questionable practices of food processors at the time, like putting salt in sugar bags, coke in Coke. The latter worked great for developing customer loyalty!

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    coke in Coke. The latter worked great for developing customer loyalty!

I bet it did!! Puts new meanintg t the slogan, "Have a Coke and a smile" doesn't it.

Ron

Boolit Buddy
    I believe one of thier original ad sayings was "the pause that refreshes" well I bet it did. DM

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by D.Mack View Post
    I believe one of thier original ad sayings was "the pause that refreshes" well I bet it did. DM

Actually you are confused that quote "the pause that refreshes" is what you saw in the men's room.
    Jim

PS
    I remember the Coke ad also.
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ron brooks View Post
    Wayne,

True, but alot of that had to do with deaths due to WWII, either from actual combat, colleteral damage, or lack of food and medicines due to the break down of the supply chain.

Ron
    Gentlemen, I'm speaking from Roman times (introduction of lead water pipes) to relatively modern times. There is research suggesting that the Polio scare of the 40's-50's was as likely caused by lead poisoning as a virus. Symptoms of lead poisoning are found in the literature as far back as Roman liturature. I'm no MD or biochemist but can tell you that the results of specific heavy metal poisoning are well known and some are gereral to the class of heavy metals and some specific to the metal. There is no question that heavy metals cause a spectrum of disorders that cause developmental disorders in children and early death in adults.

Granted, there are multiple causes for the decrease in infant/child mortality in western countries, but the control of heavy metal exposure is part of it.
    Wayne the Shrink

Banned

One of these days, I'm going to buy some test strips.

I'm gonna test the coffee mugs from china, that I drink my coffee from every day.

I'm gonna swab the handles on the presses, and other items around the bench (all just for the heck of it).

Plates in the kitchen too. What if there was one thing like your coffee mug, leaching lead? I'm sure the inspectors in china wouldn't allow such a thing to happen...

Boolit Master
    OK, so what ARE the symptoms of lead poisening?

David

Banned

I went and ordered a test kit cause more than anything, I want to check our ceramic dishes.

Found this David:

THE FACTS ABOUT LEAD POISONING

Lead is practically everywhere in today's environment. It enters our bodies from many sources including defective glazes (pottery), drinking water, contaminated soil, airborne particulate, leaded gasoline, paint and several other sources. Symptoms of lead poisoning are stomach pains, constipation, diarrhea, aggressiveness, anxiousness, hyperactivity, muscle pain, weakness, weight loss, learning disabilities, convulsions and eventual death with chronic lead poisoning! Lead poisoning victims usually become anemic. This symptoms usually persist for about 2 weeks from time of exposure, then settle into the organs, bones and even hair! We still do not know the long term effects of lead exposure!

These symptoms are sometimes overlooked by doctors and are not properly diagnosed as lead poisoning, since they are vague.

The Centers for Disease Control considers lead to be the greatest environmental health risk to children as their immune systems are still in the developmental stages!

Boolit Master
    Thank you pat

David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast