WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 33 wcf loads

Boolit Mold

33 wcf loads

I am looking for some load data for a 1886 in 33 wcf? The rifle is one of the winchesters that was made in the 1890's' but has been converted to 33 wcf (it's been checked over and given the ok by a gunsmith) and I know it's former owner shot factory jacketed loads in it so it works with full power 33 wcf loads. But I have no idea where to start with load data. I saw on loaddata.com they had starting loads for cast loads for 200 gr. and 205 gr. with IMR 4198 starting at 24 grs. Is this a good low pressure starting load? I also saw Ken Waters list a load for lyman 338320GC of IMR 3031 at 35 grs. but don't know if this is max (Hornady lists 33.3 as starting for there jacketed slug). Also, I know this is about cast bullets but I have some Hawk 200 gr. jacketed bullets and don't know where to start with them (some web forums say hornadys data is too hot but I don't know) Is the starting load of 33.3 gr. of IMR 3031 a good starting load for the hawk bullets?
    Sorry for all the questions but the 33 wcf seems to be kind of hard to find loading data for. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

my hornaday books {all three} have data for this round. i know a couple fellas that "make" their own cases outta 45/70 cases by re-forming. they both hunt elk with them with success in the west mountains of oregon.

i let my "33" get away from me years ago when my uncle had one that i allowed to go to somebody elses home and from their i lost track. hang onto yours and happy shooting and hunting with a little used rifle/calibre now-a-days.

Boolit Master

33 WCF... love that forgotten, under-rated cartridge! It's been a while since I shot my 86 in that caliber but it is one of my best shooting Winchester lever guns. Mine are originals so my data should be fine in your modern version. First- Yes! Hornady data tends to be on the hot side so I avoid it.

I would imagine that the 200 Hawk Jbullet would be similar to the 200 Hornady Jbullet given the same weight. My most useful powders for the 33 include the medium ones like 3031 and IMR 4895. With the 200 gr Hornady Jbullet flatpoint my best load is 34 gr 3031. With a 200 cast GC bullet my best load is 32 gr of IMR 4895. One powder for reduced, cast bullet loads I have not tested is 5744 but it should be a good one for that purpose.