Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: I dont like to chase brass.

I dont like to chase brass.

I got to go try out my "new" SKS today. Used some 125gn sp and H335 and some 311466 over 5744. all loads cycled the action very well and the 466 put down a nice 1" group at 50yrds.
    I had a hard time keeping up with the brass with all the leafs on my backyard range. So I took the gas piston out and worked it as a bolt action. I was at this point the groups came in. Not sure if it had anything to do with it or i just didnt have to worry about finding the brass..
    I hope to get some more range time with this rifle and mabe a peep sight or scope, as the irons are a bit hard fo me to see. Any recomendations for sights on an SKS?

MICHIGAN,but rather be in alaska,or montanna
    i cant help with sights im sorry to say, but i have solution to catching 100% of your brass,,that cost 30.00 you can buy locally. and WORKS! interested? pm me.

Boolit Master

Take a look at 'TechSights'; they have a rear sight similar to the AR-15/M-16. As for the brass, I rake the leaves up first.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Bub
    Spread a blanket/tarp in the landing zone.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by megafatcat View Post
    Spread a blanket/tarp in the landing zone.
    Good advice. Works for me.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I use a brass catcher from.............

http://www.elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have a scoped AR. Didn't want to chase brass, either. I made a brass deflector that drops the brass right beside the rifle. It uses a piece of coat hanger that goes between and around the scope bases, and a piece of cloth (camo looks nice for this job) with a small pouch in the bottom that holds several quarters to add a little weight. Maybe when I get home I'll shoot a couple of photos and add them to this post so you can see how simple it is. Having a wife with a sewing machine helps, but this is a very simple, inexpensive solution that works very well. I already had the camo cloth and the wire coat hanger, so the most expensive part was the three quarters.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Smile My AR brass catcher

Here is a pic of my 'custom' brass catcher.

I merely tie a bandana around my scope rings.

I shoot from the left shoulder.

The brass ends up between my legs when in the sitting position.

Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    I use a 3 Bucc brass catcher on my ar & fal. Don't know if they make one for SKS. I've had EL catchers. Prefer 3 Bucc.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

A lot of times turning the gas piston off like on a fal,yugo sks or m1a will shrink groups.I hate chasing brass too, I use a tarp.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    For bench shooting I made an A frame that has 3 foot tall legs and front to back is 2 feet. The one A frame section is just short enough to fit into the other so it folds flat. Covered it with that green plastic screen. I do not chase brass with any semi auto rifle.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will just hang up one of my camo tarps for know..
    As fo the sights I think i will try and adapt a reciver mount peep sight from a winchester 94. both have sharp flat sides..
    Thanks again, Josh

Boolit Master

I sometimes use a metal detector. Sweep the area with the detector first to eliminate false positives.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    Don't get a 10mm Auto self shucker. Mine throws the brass 30'-40'. I put down two tarps. One where I stand for when I shoot my M1 Garands, the other yonder where the 10mm brass falls.