Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Reloading Manuals for Cast Bullets ?

Boolit Master

Best Reloading Manuals for Cast Bullets ?

I have a dozen Military Surplus Rifles - I am an Obsessive Compulsive MilSurp Rifle 'collector' who cannot control himself.

In order to keep the costs down, I decided a while back to cast bullets from Wheel Weights and save a Butt-Load of money.

I just don't find very much reloading data for cast bullets in my Reloading Manuals.

I have in my Reloading Manual collection now:

Modern Reloading 2nd Ed by Richard LEE

Lyman Reloading Handbook, 45th Ed.

Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Ed.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Ed

I have looked on some of the Powder Manufacturer's web site
    at their reloading data.

My question is this.....which Reloading Books are best to own for
    reloading CAST BULLETS ?

Most reloading data is for Metal Jacketed bullets which I am told should never be used for Cast Bullets of equal grain size.

I have been surfing via Google looking for loads for my LEE Cast bullets, but those "data" are hear-say and suspect.

So - please inform me of where I can obtain reputable Cast Bullet powder loads.

On other forums, I have been told I am a fool for messing with cast bullets and should not experiment, to read reloading books until I barf and then don't do anything not written down somewhere in a Reloading Manual.

I don't want to blow up my rifle and my face by doing something stupid, yet I want to experiment with and shoot Cast Bullet Reloads.

I'm not afraid to experiment, but other forums (ParallaxBill's mostly) have made me somewhat afraid to try ANYTHING !

So - is/are there good CAST BULLET reloading manuals available besides what I have in the list above ?

I was going to visit several USED BOOK stores to see what I might find. I think most shooters hold onto any reloading books they have, however.

Any help would be appreciated.

DoctorBill

PS - Where does the Reloading Data which appears in the various handbooks come from ?
    They don't reference the original sources and so how can you be sure that their data isn't garbage ?
    Just because it is in print doesn't mean it is fit to use (Like in the Newspapers these days!).

Boolit Grand Master

My first go too is the Lyman manual and then the Lee. They cover cast bullits and few othe manuals cover much at all. The Lyman cast boolits book also but I think it just has the same as their load manual.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    My go to is the Lyman 49 manual, followed by the Lyman Cast Handbook, and then Lee.

Lyman 49 and the Cast Handbook have a lot of duplication, but there are differences. It seems that the Cast Handbook lists a number of older moulds that aren't in the current catalog.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up RCBS has a great Cast Boolit Manual!

Published in 1986, I think you will find the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, Number 1 to be the most useful and comprehensive source of loading data for lead projectiles.
    ONLY LEAD projectiles are included- they use their own proprietary bullet styles, as you would expect, but you can easily and safely do some interpolating to use another bullet style of similar weight.
    The book is in hardback, and is frequently available on EBay for those that go that route. The data is now 35 years old, so newer cartridges and powders are not to be found, but we can't have everything, can we ?
    Another manual (also an Ebay find) is Ken Waters' huge publication called Pet Loads.
    Published by Wolfe Publishing in Arizona, this manual had many updates put out over the years.
    Wolfe Publishing has put out several specialty manuals over the years, such as The Art of Bullet Casting, Cast Bullet Manual, etc. Contact them directly.
    Lastly, your friends on this forum can probably provide just about any loading data and ideas you might ever need. The level of experience and knowledge shared by members of this site is astounding. Understand that unless the correspondent provides the source of his info, the level of trust you put in it must be low. Trust, but verify!
    Enough rambling for tonight- ask your fellow members, and be prepared to be provided with a huge amount of well-researched and documented information.

Chuck
    358wcf

Boolit Grand Master

I firmly believe that anyone who loads cast bullets should have Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook first and foremest. Not only is the data good but the "how to" information of alloys, casting and loading answer most of the questions many ask here. It is the primer for any new caster. I also have several older Lyman manuals with cast bullet data in them. They are good because they many times have data for medium and slow burning powders that aren't in Lyman's current manuals.

In addition to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook I use the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual and sometimes refer to the Lee Manual 2nd edition. For BP loads I use the lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and the Reloading Primer by Venturino/Garbe. The 2 NRA Publications are also very good references and I use them often. And lastly there is some loading information in the Powder manufacturer's loading data with "lead" bullets.

Regardless of where the data comes from it is a guide. Any given loads should be scrutinized to see if they are in "range" of safe loads. If there is any doubt standard practice calls for working up to any such load.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Plus One on the Ken Waters loading books... No regrets I bought mine.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remebrance

Lyman Cast Bullet manuals are great, all 3 versions, there's a new coming out soon. The RCBS book is great too as is Pet Loads.

You've witnessed the ignorance regarding cast boolits out there. You came to the right place for enlightenment. You CAN use jacketed load as a place to start with cast. A jacketed load for a bullet of similar weight (+/- 10-15 grs) will give you a place to work from. Use a starting load for jacketed with the faster powders listed and be prepared to work DOWN a bit if needed. It won't be pressure "blowing your gun up" that gives you the problem, lead alloys create less pressure than jacketed bullets. The problem will be not pushing the lead alloy boolit beyond it's limits until you figure out fit, pressures, alloy limits, etc. IOW- use a load that too hot and you'll be finding out how to de-lead a barrel (4/0 steel wool on a bore brush) and seeing groups measured in feet instead of inches.

For most milsurps of 7x57 case size or larger 13.0 Red Dot or 16.0 2400 is a good pickup starter load.

+1 on the Ken Waters publications
    +1 on the Lee Manual too... alot of science relating BHN to pressure to velocity there..sa good read.
    Also some good info in Phil Sharpes book, Complete guide to Handloading
    Lyman is always a trusty standby, just awaiting on the 4th edition like so many others.
    Pete

Boolit Master

Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Here's another, that Bret referred to...Ray

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus

I have the first edition of Accurate Arms powder and they mention one or two cast loads for most of their rifle loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Accurate Powders just updated their online guide and it has greatly increased the amount of lead bullet loads. It is in PDF format and you can save it on your computer or print it .

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Lyman Cast Bullet manuals are great, all 3 versions, there's a new coming out soon. The RCBS book is great too as is Pet Loads.

You've witnessed the ignorance regarding cast boolits out there. You came to the right place for enlightenment. You CAN use jacketed load as a place to start with cast. A jacketed load for a bullet of similar weight (+/- 10-15 grs) will give you a place to work from. Use a starting load for jacketed with the faster powders listed and be prepared to work DOWN a bit if needed. It won't be pressure "blowing your gun up" that gives you the problem, lead alloys create less pressure than jacketed bullets. The problem will be not pushing the lead alloy boolit beyond it's limits until you figure out fit, pressures, alloy limits, etc. IOW- use a load that too hot and you'll be finding out how to de-lead a barrel (4/0 steel wool on a bore brush) and seeing groups measured in feet instead of inches.

For most milsurps of 7x57 case size or larger 13.0 Red Dot or 16.0 2400 is a good pickup starter load.
    It's all true, but if you want to check this out to verify it contact Speer. The bullet smiths will answer any question about any reloading issue related to bullets or loads. It does not have to be related to their products.

E-mail speerexpert@atk.com or this link http://www.speer-bullets.com/general/contact_us.aspx

Or call Technical Services: 1-866-286-7436
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have information on where I can obtain a copy of the

NRA Cast Bullet Manual ?

I understand it has been out of print for quite a while.

I looked on E-Bay and in some used online book stores.

DoctorBill

Read what Bret4207 said. Now read it again.

Boolit Master
    Rocky Raab -

OK.

?????? I don't understand the tone of your comment...

Have I said something stupid ?

Now - read this again !

DoctorBill
    Last edited by DoctorBill; 10-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    I would just like to ask -
    WHOM does our Current Government represent, anyway ? !

It sure as Heck doesn't represent ME ! How about you ?
    Seems to be just a Big Mafia run by the current set of criminals in office.
    Have we EVER been this close to losing our Country ? !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBill View Post
    Rocky Raab -

OK.

?????? I don't understand the tone of your comment...

Have I said something stupid ?

Now - read this again !

DoctorBill
    No, I don't think Rocky meant it like that. What Bret said was darn good, and deserves some noggin time. All this has been discussed over and over and over, ten thousand times. No problem. I asked the same questions too when I first got here. Looking back it was sometimes hard to see the forest for the trees. Your question was not stupid, the NRA book is somewhat of a sacred book among us. It is like taking a physics class right after arithmetic. It can be had from time to time here, there, pony up the cash if you want it, sit back read it, and then you will be right back to the meat and taters of what Bret just said. Good luck in your quest. Many here will help when needed, don't hesitate to ask or fear of someone thinking you're stupid. Nothing is wrong with ignorance, use it to your advantage. I am over two years into this shot about 400 pounds of alloy and still just barely getting started.
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 11-04-2010 at 02:55 AM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Buddy

manuals

Try to find some of the 1930's to late 1940's era Ideal, and Lyman manuals. They are great for the old cast bullet loads. I only have three of them, but constantly refer to the old information on loads and bullets. The toolman.

Boolit Master

I have suggested this time and time again;
    1. Read the 'Stickies'.
    2. Read them AGAIN.
    3. Get the 'Lyman Cast Bullet Manual', and read it twice.
    4. Get Richard Lee's 'Modern reloading, 2nd Edition', and read it twice.
    5. Go to the LASC site, and look around for a few hours.
    6. THEN, ask questions.

No, I am not yelling at you; I have modified this list based on my own quest for knowledge, and am simply offering it as a suggestion. If I may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Molybdenum Disulfide Cast Bullet Lubricant

I do listen to people - I just don't respond well to being talked down to.
    Some people who know a great deal tend to be arrogant towards beginners and treat
    them with disdain.
    I teach Chemistry and disdain for one's students is a very easy behaviour trap to fall into.
    I am there to teach, not act superior and put them down because they are ignorant of my subject.
    I remember some of MY teachers who were just exactly that way and vowed to never be that way myself!

Being a Civilian and not ever having been in the Military, I don't respond well to Drill Instructors and their methods.
    I am not disparaging Drill Instructors either!

That aside, I have been looking thru the LASC page.

You old timers use Jargon here and I had not any clue to what LASC meant.
    I had to search to find it's meaning - time wasted - why not just include a link !

Onward !

Was looking at the business of Molybdenum Disulfide or "Moly" as a Cast Bullet Lube.
    http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLubeCastBullets.htm

I am a retired PhD Chemist - retired from Bayer Corporation's Allergy Division in Spokane, WA.
    They divested it along with about half the staff, to Bankers who then sold it to some Indian investors.

One feels like meat in the butcher shop.

Reading about Moly,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
    I am now intrigued (as a chemist) and wonder why
    the dry Moly powder is not incorporated into waxy bullet lubes ?

Would that help something like ALOX - were a percentage of the powder mixed in while it is molten? "Black ALOX"
    Hell - why not Graphite also ?

I find that you can buy an 8 ounce jar of powdered Moly from Midway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=677866&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Press es)-_-PriceCompListing-_-677866
    or 6 oz from Lyman
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=183655

Has anyone experimented with this ?

If it is already available compounded as a waxy Moly bullet lube, please educated me - don't scream at me that I am too dumb to read it somewhere (?)

DoctorBill
    Last edited by DoctorBill; 11-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    I would just like to ask -
    WHOM does our Current Government represent, anyway ? !

It sure as Heck doesn't represent ME ! How about you ?
    Seems to be just a Big Mafia run by the current set of criminals in office.
    Have we EVER been this close to losing our Country ? !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast