Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Part II, 22-250 with cast?

Boolit Master

Part II, 22-250 with cast?

I am about to give my 22-250 (1-14 twist) rifle another chance with boolits.

1) Thinking about the Lyman 225438 is this a suitable mould? I am open to suggestions on other moulds also.

2) As far as I can tell my WW alloy has BHN of 13~14, is that hard enough for 22 boolits with a gas check?

3) Right now I am using Blue Angel for a lube, is this okay for rifles? If not what lube would you recommend? I use a lube heater, and would prefer a lube that requires one.

Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    When you say "another chance" you must mean that the first time around wasn't good.

All the things you've mentioned can work. It might help narrow the field if you tell us what it was that you used that didn't work, so we might start you in a new direction.

I've found my 22-250 likes several different varieties and makers of .22 cast bullet moulds nearly equally well, but is allergic to the pistol/shotgun powders. Best results for me have been with such as Reloder 7, 4759, 2400, 4227, and similar powders in the 1900-21000 fps range.

A favorite load is 15 grains Reloder 7 with nearly any cast bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    When you say "another chance" you must mean that the first time around wasn't good.

All the things you've mentioned can work. It might help narrow the field if you tell us what it was that you used that didn't work, so we might start you in a new direction.

I had a Lyman 225646 mould. The boolits weighed 62gr with lube and check. My rifle could not stabilize these boolits. Never had a leading problem but never had good accuracy either.

I am currently deciding on a new rifle and would be interested how slow you can get the cast boolits in the 22-250.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    That would be a challenge, all right. Slow speed in a 22 tube with accuracy. The reason is the location of the pressure peak. 22LR uses a Herco speed powder for this reason. TrailBoss just might work in a large case, like a 22-250 (14 twist) with a short boolit, and using a Fed pistol primer assuming the firing pin can reach perfectly. Probably will after firing cases at full load with condoms and then neck sizing for the boolits. If I had the powder, I would give it go, but I would not buy a gun with the hope of satisfaction. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    That would be a challenge, all right. Slow speed in a 22 tube with accuracy. The reason is the location of the pressure peak. 22LR uses a Herco speed powder for this reason. TrailBoss just might work in a large case, like a 22-250 (14 twist) with a short boolit, and using a Fed pistol primer assuming the firing pin can reach perfectly. Probably will after firing cases at full load with condoms and then neck sizing for the boolits. If I had the powder, I would give it go, but I would not buy a gun with the hope of satisfaction. ... felix
    I like that thinking. Trail boss in 22/250.
    Velocity please?

If this is Part II, where was Part I ? I'm a bit concerned that you didn't get good results with the 225646, but it is a wierd bore-rider and lots of things have to be just right to make it work well. It would be nice to see what you've already tried, though.
    As far as your alloy and lube, they should be fine. I would recommend the 225415 or 225462 over the 225438 in this application. You've got a lot of boiler room there and the extra weight will help the non-pistol/shotgun powders get burning better. seat them to engage the riflingwhen the bolt closes. For the same reason, I'd suggest starting with one of the milder large rifle primers rather than a large pistol, at least initially. Powder choice, 4227 (either flavor) or 4198, no filler.
    Rick

Boolit Master

try a 55gr boolit. the 64gr might be too heavy to stabilize at cast velocities.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 225462 in my 22-250 with good results. I use 3031 powder to get a little over 2000fps with groups around an inch at 100yds. (I'm at work and won't trust memory for powder charges) Alloy is WW with a little tin added and lube is Felix's.
    Tried shooting Bators (with the gas check shank reamed out to make them PB) at rimfire velocities, but couldn't get good accuracy, always seemed to be a couple uncalled fliers in a 10 shot group. The fliers expanded the groups to 2-3 inches at 100 yards, the other 7 or 8 shots would usually be around 1 1/2". Might have to give trailboss a try.

The 225646 will stabilize in a 14" twist, just gotta get it to do the hustle. Depends on your definition of "cast velocities". I've been getting fairly nice groups out of a .222 with it. Probably won't play with them much more until spring. Deer season is ready to open, then there's squirrels to pester until March.
    Rick

Boolit Man
    My best load in a Ruger #1V is as follows: Lyman 225415, 55 grains in Typemetal. Drops at .225, size at .225, Alox, WW cases, Rem 9 1/2, 21 1/2 grains of 4320, a small tuft of polyester, LOA 2.265 inches. I use a .225 neck expander.

Hornet--your avitar makes me think you'd be the one to ask about this, but others may have valuable input as well:

I've got a new 22-250 that I plan to use for squeakers out West. I was looking at the Lyman 225415, which the manual lists data beginning at 1600 fps, up to 2700 fps. Of course, a similarly-weighted jacketed bullet is doing around 4000 fps at the muzzle. I'm wondering if cast at these slower velocities would be a good choice for a clean-kill? Also from what I've read, the fellows shooting 22-250 cast find the best accuracy at around 2000 fps. Energy in the boolit at 300 yards would be 1/4 of starting energy (106 ft-lbs).

I will have to buy the mould, and either factory checks, or a checkmaker. I enjoy the casting hobby, of course, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort for my application, or if I should just shell out the $$ for factory jacketed.

Thanks,
    The more I learn, the more I realize I've got more to learn!