Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun powders in the '06

OK, I'm developing a rather long list of powders to try in the '06 that are faster than 4759.

What about the HI SKORs and 4756? Are there any others? I may try some GreenDot Monday but my supply is from "pull down" skeet ammo I assembled back in the 70's, so I don't know how indicative that'll be with respect to today's GreenDot. From the long list I'm compiling, my powder of choice doesn't necessarily need to flow through a powder measure like egg-timer sand; however, it does need to work well without filler.

MJ

Banned

h-322 is about the cut-off speed for starting to use fillers.
    the 700-x is a fast powder in the red-dot burn range.
    you have [in the shotgun ranges] a couple of different speeds.
    aa#2, red dot, 231, clays. range
    aa#5,pb, green-dot, unique. range
    and aa#9,2400,800-x .range
    and the h-110,aa1680,4227.range
    thats how i think of powders anyways, then break each category into it's own subset of burn rates.
    so i can work within each subsets range.
    i do the same thing with medium and slow rifle powders.
    just so i don't keep on trying the same things over and over again.

Boolit Master
    What about the HI SKORs
    700x is fast, almost a red dot clone ( or maybe the other way around) Used a bunch of it in 12 ga trap loads years back. It's a coarser flake like unique, but has yellow dots. I don't see much advantage or differance in red dot vs. 700x.

800x is much slower, slower than unique, and herco. faster than blue dot.
    I do remember 800x was removed from 38 special load data some years back, something about erratic pressures in some circumstances? ( don't remember exactly) I don't think I would try it in low load densities like the 06.

just my .02 worth
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master
    Red Dot and Unique are shotgun powders that have cast boolit applications.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had excellent results with 17.5 grains of 2400--in just about every case I've put it in. In 30-30's, used with the excellent RCBS 30-180 flat nose, I get about 1800 FPS and 3" iron sighted groups. The same load in my 30-40 shoots very well, though at reduced velocity. And my 30-06 just dotes on the 311-467 on top of the same charge. I get 1 3/4- 2" groups at 100 yards from that sporterized springfield barrel, which is as good or better than any other bullet I have tried in that gun. You can go higher, should you feel the need, but my goal with cast boolits is accuracy, not speed.

Boolit Master

the 413 is a check boolit you CAN drive it but I am with the others 20gr 2400 is as much as I need
    The red dot is a fast and low charge weight if you shoot at bench and can hold gun up before every shot to keep pwder at primer it may be ok
    2400 dont need filler and is very good for a powder measure
    ONE thing be very carefull not to double charge 40 grs of 2400 makes for a very bad day I know

12.5gr of Blue Dot gives me 1575 with a 165gr boolit in the Krag. 20gr gives me 2000fps. Fire it with a magnum primer, the pressure wave from it is all the filler you need. If you try Blue Dot, you won't be bothering with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    12.5gr of Blue Dot gives me 1575 with a 165gr boolit in the Krag. 20gr gives me 2000fps. Fire it with a magnum primer, the pressure wave from it is all the filler you need. If you try Blue Dot, you won't be bothering with anything else.
    I think a friend is giving me some BD to try. Have you tried it with Federal 210 primers? I want to run my "shotgun powder loads" from 1600 to 2000 fps.

MJ

P.S. BTW, Alliant issued a warning a couple years ago with respect to NOT using Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum. Has anyone figured out why? Did Alliant just goof up their published data for the .41?
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-28-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I use 7625 in handgun and shotgun. For handgun loads, it fills the case better than Unique in loads that produce the same velocity. Never tried it in rifle loads. Hodgdon's burn rate chart has it slower than PB, but faster than Unique. I've always considered it to be a bit slower than that, but it may be due to my applications for it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    I use 7625 in handgun and shotgun. For handgun loads, it fills the case better than Unique in loads that produce the same velocity. Never tried it in rifle loads. Hodgdon's burn rate chart has it slower than PB, but faster than Unique. I've always considered it to be a bit slower than that, but it may be due to my applications for it.

Regards,

Stew
    Here's the chart I refer to:

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

This chart (first published in '04, I believe) lists 7625 after Unique.

MJ

Boolit Master
    MJ - The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3d ed. lists several .30/06 loads for Green Dot in the velocity and bullet weight range you mention. I started loading reduced cast loads in .30/30 last year and used Green Dot because it's what I had on hand for loading 12 and 20 ga. shotshells (trying to reduce powders on hand). I got good results with .30/30 at about 1100-1200 fps with GD loads within the published range using a 311291 GC. I haven't tried any of the other "dots" but try Green Dot if you have some on hand. I think it's an underappreciated cast bullet powder.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Here's the chart I refer to:

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

This chart (first published in '04, I believe) lists 7625 after Unique.

MJ
    That ranking more nearly matches my impressions of 7625.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

I had instant excellent results with a 314299 GCed sized 314 lubed with lars45 CR & 16gr. of 2400!!!

Thanks to the CASTBOOLITS forum my fist ventures with cast in rifles has been very rewarding !!!

True there relatively low pressure loads & I may go faster in the future but for now the 30-30 & 06 shoot where there pointed !!!!
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    I shoot between 10 and 12 grains of Trail Boss in my 30-06 rifles (depending on bullet weight). I like the bulk of the powder that makes double charges much easier to detect.

John

Boolit Master
    I got this out of my load book. All boolits are the LEE 180 lubed with LLA, shot through a 1903 A3.

15.0 Unique 1628 fps

16.0 2400 1400 fps
    18.0 2400 1550 fps
    20.0 2400 1692 fps

13.0 Red Dot no velocity but at 13.5 boolits went sideways

I like 2400 because it works well and meters better than unique. These powders don't require fillers either. I've settled at around 18.5 grains of 2400 as my practice load. It shoots very good at 200 yards.

FYI, I've had good luck at the lower end of the scale with SR4756. For velocities in the 1800 to 2000 fps range, Reloder 7 is my favorite choice. IMR 4198 also works well at the higher velocities, but requires weighing each charge due to its stick shape.

I prefer to put an appropriate amount of dacron on top of the powder charges for optimum uniformity and accuracy. My best .30 caliber boolit is a DD (double diameter) design from NEI that weighs 186 grains checked and lubed in Lyman no 2 alloy. - CW
    Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. - Patrick Henry, March 1775

Boolit Grand Master
    16 grs. of 2400 in the 06' is a tried and true proven load in a wide variety of 30-06 rifles for me in the past :

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    16 grs. of 2400 in the 06' is a tried and true proven load in a wide variety of 30-06 rifles for me in the past :

No Dacron, Ben? Where the charges weighed or metered?

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    That ranking more nearly matches my impressions of 7625.

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

A friend gave me some 7625 and I've been trying to decide how much to use tonight behind RCBS 30-165-SIL (175 grains ready-to-fly). The pressure data I've been discovering suggests this stuff burns somewhat faster in a rifle than the charts (except Hodgdon's) indicate.

I'm going to try 15 grains with a BHN 27 RCBS 30-165-SIL (heat treated 50/50) and will post chronograph and group results (compared to 15 grains of GreenDot). Unfortunately, QuickLoad doesn't feature 7625 but if its characteristics are more like HP-38/231 (as suggested by Hodgdon's chart) then I shouldn't see much difference between its performance tomorrow and my last two range sessions with GreenDot.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 11-02-2010 at 05:11 PM.

15 grains of SR7625 went 1602 fps (24" bbl) and the group was real good with 4 out of 5 into 7/16" C-C. Another grain opened the group up to no rounds touching and all within 1&3/16" C-C. The range was 75 yards. Velocity with the 16 grain load was 1665 fps (24" bbl). The accuracy with 7625 was much better than with GreenDot. SR7625 is about 7% slower than GD.

MJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12