Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Bought a .44 Mag Handi rifle

Bought a .44 Mag Handi rifle

It is an H&R in a wood stock, scope mount and a Bushnell scope. Used but not abused. The only flaws on it are from when the previous owners wedding ring put a pretty good scratch in the fore hand grip. Got it at a flea market from a Local guy for $300. The only thing I have to complain about is the eye relief on the scope sucks. I have slid the scope back as far as it can go. The base wont let the rings move back any farther. I guess my options are a different scope, or replace the cushy butt pad with a solid one. Gonna work on the trigger a bit, and hope to use it on a deer this year.

How heavy of a load can these babies handle. Id like to shoot the same load in my Ruger SRH as well.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master
    i've been wantin' one for a while as a truck gun, i have a marlin 44. but those nice little rifles. and i think you should be able to the shout load in it, hey they make that in 500 s&w too. let us hear if you think of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    and you can turn it into a 445 supermag!!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=hoosierlogger;1030498 The only thing I have to complain about is the eye relief on the scope sucks. I have slid the scope back as far as it can go. The base wont let the rings move back any farther. [/QUOTE]

Extended rings are what you need.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Beekeeper
    I have one in 45/70 and it handles it well.
    Kicks like a mule but haven't tried to solve the kick problem yet.
    Should handle the 44 Mag quite well

Jim

Boolit Buddy

Don't quote me but, I've got the Weaver scope mount and it's a little lacking in the eye relief department but I believe I heard that the Handi Rifle mount from NEF works better.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    i've been wantin' one for a while as a truck gun, i have a marlin 44. but those nice little rifles. and i think you should be able to the shout load in it, hey they make that in 500 s&w too. let us hear if you think of it.
    The guy had a 500S&W also, but I have heard they are really hard on scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Extended rings are what you need.
    I was eyeballing the scope mount last night and it looks as if I can just mill an extra slot in the base for the ring bold to fit in and I should be able to get away with it. I may look into the set back mounts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    I have one in 45/70 and it handles it well.
    Kicks like a mule but haven't tried to solve the kick problem yet.
    Should handle the 44 Mag quite well
    Jim
    I shot a couple Lee 310 grain boolits over 18 gr of 2400 and it had a nice wallop to it.

I love it so far.

Boolit Buddy

.44 mag & .45-70 H&R

I used to collect the old H&R rifle sets and had both the .44 mag and .45-70. My experience tells me that you do not want to take the recoil pad off your .44 gun. With regular .44 mag loads it packs more wallop than you think with a plastic butt plate. I actually cut my stock down and put a recoil pad on it.

And you are right on target about cutting a slot in the base. Go ahead and file away. Then you can put the rings where you need them.

Last thing you may want to think about. I considered my .44 to be a 100 yard and closer gun, so I went with a 4 x 32 shotgun scope with the extended eye relief. Made life a lot easier. Later on I picked up a Nikon Pro-Staff 2 x 7 x 32 shotgun scope with the extended eye relief and put it on the .30-30. Wished I had that scope before I traded the .44 mag off. By the way, all of my H&R guns were the older models with the contoured barrel and the standard shotgun stocks with what seemed like a ton of drop to try to use a scope. The extended eye relief scopes really did the trick.

Steve

Boolit Master

Cool

Put 2 blades on your hacksaw frame to rough in the cut, less filling. Have heard of some using a table saw.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Put 2 blades on your hacksaw frame to rough in the cut, less filling. Have heard of some using a table saw.
    Wow that is a great idea!! I totally didnt even think about that. Thanks for the tip I am sure it will be a big time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    I used to collect the old H&R rifle sets and had both the .44 mag and .45-70. My experience tells me that you do not want to take the recoil pad off your .44 gun. With regular .44 mag loads it packs more wallop than you think with a plastic butt plate. I actually cut my stock down and put a recoil pad on it.

And you are right on target about cutting a slot in the base. Go ahead and file away. Then you can put the rings where you need them.

Last thing you may want to think about. I considered my .44 to be a 100 yard and closer gun, so I went with a 4 x 32 shotgun scope with the extended eye relief. Made life a lot easier. Later on I picked up a Nikon Pro-Staff 2 x 7 x 32 shotgun scope with the extended eye relief and put it on the .30-30. Wished I had that scope before I traded the .44 mag off. By the way, all of my H&R guns were the older models with the contoured barrel and the standard shotgun stocks with what seemed like a ton of drop to try to use a scope. The extended eye relief scopes really did the trick.

Steve

It Packs a pretty good wallop with the pad on, so I really didnt want to have to take the pad off.

This one is one of the SB2 frames.

Nikon Pro-Staff 2 x 7 x 32 shotgun scope

That scope is made perfect for that rifle. Some have much larger rear tube diameters and are hard to cock or need the hammer extension and/or cutting the hammer end down. That scope don't. Some of the older 44 H&Rs came with large bores (.432") so you might have to use .432"/.434" cast. If you can get a Lee 310 that casts big enough, it will rock your world.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Banned
    I use a shotgun scope on my NEF is 500 S&W also. The scope mount is important, I use the Deadnutz one piece and stopped having problems immediately. Separate bases just blow up after a hundred rounds, The Deadnutz has gone over 1000. I have a load I am really happy with using the Lee R.E.A.L. 250 gr sized to .501 and tumble lubed. Fast flat shooter 1885 fps verified with 35.2 gr WC820 and BPI filler to rim. Groups less than 1 inch at 50 yd for me and has punched 2 whitetails airborne. My rifle is the SB2 Ultra and I have added a lead weight in the but-stock hole to reduce recoil. My 14 year old grandson is using it this season with that load and fired it over 200 rounds this summer. He weighs 110 pounds and handles the 500 just fine with that load. I originally bought the rifle as the Ultra Varmint in .223 and added the 500 barrel. After hunting season I'm getting the .308 Win Bull Barrel next.
    The factory did a wonderful free trigger job just for asking when I got the second barrel fit, It is now nice crisp 3 lbs. 2 oz. but was originally over 5 lbs with lots of creep.....blaaaaa.