Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Shot Capsules...

Boolit Master

Shot Capsules...

I reload shot capsules for my Security-Six in 357 Magnum cartridge. I have an 1894C in that same cartridge. The shot capsules shoot real well from the Ruger, with killing power to about 10 feet on chipmonks or small rodents such as mice, etc. Has anyone tried shot capsules in the 1894 rifle and what type or results did you get? Thanks...BCB

Howdy BCB,

I haven't tried shot capsules in my 1894 Cowboy .357, but I have used them in my'73 .44-40. I have found that it is best to keep velocities under 1,200 f.p.s. to keep the pattern tighter. I would suggest using a load in your rifle that does not exceed that velocity.

On another note......picked up a box of ".32 Long Shot" Rem-Umc rim fire cartridges last year. The cartridge cases are copper and they are loaded with the early wooden shot carrier. Interesting .32 Colt variation.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I reload shot capsules for my Security-Six in 357 Magnum cartridge. I have an 1894C in that same cartridge. The shot capsules shoot real well from the Ruger, with killing power to about 10 feet on chipmonks or small rodents such as mice, etc. Has anyone tried shot capsules in the 1894 rifle and what type or results did you get? Thanks...BCB
    I''m curious. Why don't you shoot some and let us know? Or do you want me to shoot some? I mostly make my own shot shells, but I guess I could go out in the backyard and shoot some capsules from the rifle too. I'll do it. Beats splitting wood! Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Speer 38/357 shot capsule

Load: W-W 38 Special nickel case, wsp, 5.5 gr. Unique, 102 grain wt. #9 shot in Speer shot capsule. Shot from a Marlin 94C. Target was 10 feet from rifle muzzle. Looks if you can see it, there's shot hits all around the paper plate too. Looks like the center is already thinning. Spot in the center is the shot capsule base I suppose. The stick to the left is 5/8" pine and the shot went clear thru it. Now let's see if I can get the photo loaded.
    Last edited by woody1; 01-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    I have not used shot capsules but I do load shot shells for my 1895 Marlin that I carry when hunting. They work fine out to about 25 feet for potting rabitts amd grouse that may be around when I am deer or elk hunting. I generally load around half ounce of shot in a 410 shot cup over a couple of cut cardbord wads with a gas check and a crimp to hold it all together.

Boolit Master

Homemade 357 shot shell

Just for perspective, this is from a homemade 357 Mag. shotshell.
    The load: W-W 357 Mag. nickel case, wsp, 3.1 gr. Bullseye, 3 overpowder wads cut from primer box with a sharpened case, 117 grains wt. #9 shot all held together with another primer box wad crimped in place. This load is not so fast. No I don't know how fast, but the shot only goes about half way thru the 5/8 pine board. The circle is paper plate size.
    Last edited by woody1; 01-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. Yea, I could have just when and fired a few, but I was uncertain that it was even acceptable. I really didn’t know how that plastic capsule might react to that length of barrel and rifling travel for the greater distance over the handgun barrel length. My Marlin has a ‘scope on it so I doubt that shot capsules will work well as close-up work may not be too good, even with the ‘scope on the lowest power. Yet, I still may give it a try. Nice pictures woody1. And w30wcf, I knew your input would be about a 32 Long Colt!!! Who would have ever thought shot capsules in that small round? I wonder how many pellets were used? Thanks…BCB

BCB,

Good luck on your .357 Rifle adventure with shot capsules. Please let us know how they work out.

Regarding the ".32 Long Shot", I dissected one of the rim fire cartridges to see what components Rem-Umc used.

Shot Capsule: Wood / .67" long / .300" O.D. / .035"wall thickness
    Shot: 60 pellets / size .07" dia. slightly smaller than #9
    Wad: .03" over powder wad
    Powder: 8.0 grs. of b.p. approx 3F grain size
    O.A.L.: 1.220"

Interesting little cartridge.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    ... My Marlin has a ‘scope on it so I doubt that shot capsules will work well as close-up work may not be too good, even with the ‘scope on the lowest power. Yet, I still may give it a try.
    Try point shooting some 38's with your rifle at that distance. You may be surprised at your point shooting ability up close. Once the confidence level is there it may be an easy transition to using shot and point shooting with your scoped rifle.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Well, just got back from my shooting range and I shot a couple of dozen shot capsule loads from my 1894C. I wouldn’t say it was anything to write an article about and attempt publication!!!

As I had previously mentioned, my lever gun is ‘scoped so I turned it down to the lowest power—4x—and adjusted the parallax on the front of the ‘scope to the closest setting which is <10 yards. I could actually see the targets at 10 to 15 feet quit well. So I started shooting at a few beverage cans and I actually did more damage to the targets with the shot capsule or the plastic plug that snaps into the capsule then I did with the shot! Although I did have sporadic hits with the pellets, a chipmunk would be fairly safe or wounded at >10 feet. Death most likely would not be swift. Now at <10 feet, I was starting to get some pellet hits along with plastic chunks. Actually, the Ruger Security-Six shoots them as well or maybe a bit better. Maybe the rifle barrel is too long and causes problems with the shot capsule exiting the barrel or something like that?

I did shoot at a few walnuts that were hanging from a tree near my bench. It would knock them off the tree at distances of around 10 feet, but no greater distance. Again, I think it was the shot capsule or the plastic plug that was doing the damage. I did get hit on the forehead with a chuck of plastic from one of the shots! I do wear corrective lens that are safety lens so I am O.K. there—at least for minor hits of low velocity debris. I would surely never shoot anything without eye protection.

I am shooting 5.5 grains of Unique and a capsule full of #9 or #12 shot. I think that is sort of a standard load. Anyone ever try a slow burning with these shot capsules? Or maybe even a fast burner? (Whoop, just read Woody1 used Bullseye powder-guess that would be a fast burner!)

I’m gonna try a few more tomorrow, and maybe do some comparison with the Marlin and the Ruger…BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 09-30-2006 at 01:26 PM.