RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In debt, yet again.

In Remebrance

In debt, yet again.

Couldn't help myself. Absolutely mint Marlin 336SC (I think), appears pre- micro groove (no markings, poor bore lighting), 2/3 mag, pistol grip with a Williams peep, 35 Rem, pre- white line spacers. Old enough that it had the early skinnier wood as opposed to the "klunky" feeling modern ones. I'm guessing the mid 1950's. Paying a bit more than I normaly would, but it's just a sweet handling rifle in a caliber I desired in great shape. It's on the "Lay away" rack.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 09-13-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    sounds like a nice one...congrads.
    pete

Sweet!

Boolit Buddy
    That's not going into debt that's making an investement.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Tpr. Bret---why guess what vintage the Marlin is? Just let us know what the serial number prefix is and it is easy to ascertain. In fact you could even apply this info and figure it out yourself(over a doughnut ofcourse). Starting 1948 the prefix was E,each year the next letter ie H was 1949. This holds true until 1957 when both a P and R was used(dont know what the difference is). But here's the rub 1957-1958 used an R. 1958-1959 used S. So there were a few years it might be hard to figure. Then 1960 was T until Aug. Then aug 60-aug 61 was U. Aug 61 until Aug 62 was W. 1964 was Y&Z. Now heres the real answer to why the simple process got complicated. 1965 was AA. The drunk that messed up the simple system finally started attending meetings. (More about his first meeting will follow)so he got it right in that 1965 was AB and 1966 was AC and 1967 was AD. I think this numbering guy was the one at his first AA meeting told of being at a party. Nobody wanted him driving home---but he insisted since it was only 5 blocks no problem. Enroute he got stopped and as he was being given field sobriety test, Officer was alerted about a burglary in process a block away. Officer told him to stay put and took off through the aley to the burglary. Guy waited awhile and decided to go home. When he got home he told his wife he was going to bed and if anybody came looking for him,tell them he was in bed with flu and had been there all day. Sure enough officer arrived at house and wife told him hubby was sick in bed with flu and had been there all day. Officer asked "Is this his drivers license?" Wife had to admit it was. He then asked was his car here. She said yes in the garage. They looked and there was the patrol car with lights flashing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice, C-man.

Me too, Bret. I finally plunked down some folding money on a CZ-75B in 40 Short & Weak today. The price was too good to say "NO" to--$470 NIB.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Oooooooohhh.......donuts!!
    How come I never come across these finds??
    Congrats, TB it looks like you scored big this time!!.............Lee

Super Moderator

..............Brett, not that you'd want to change, but just an FYI. GPC has Marlin NOS 336RC barrels (tapered round) chambered to 30-30 for about $35 I think it is. Four groove rifling, BTW.

I bought one for an old M93 with a really trashed barrel a couple years ago.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

Thanks to all. Uncle Ray, I'd tell a little secret story about a silmilar event happening to a cop I knew, but loose lips sink ships.

After looking at Brophys book it's definitely a Sporting Carbine (SC). As to Micro-groove or not, that awaits a good bore light. I don't really care one way or the other, but a MG means re-reading all the MG posts and seeing if I have a really FAT 35 mould. What a sweet rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    NIce, always fancied the 35Rem. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Tpr. Brett-----You did not say if you were able to ascertain the year from the info I posted. I know you have had a doughnut by now. Don't tell us the serial number has been ground off.

In Remebrance

Negative, I don't have the serial # as of yet. The guns on lay-away, you know, as in, "I ain't got the cash man". This payday if things work out, have to see.

In Remebrance

Got the poor thing out of the gunny shop. Got a "G" prefix, so thats what, a 1951? Jeeze it comes up nice. They threw in a box of 150 gr Remington loads. Must be an old box, I haven't seen 150 gr offered in the 35 since the early or mid 80's IIRC. Did I mention how nice she carries in my hand. I sure am glad I got it!

Boolit Master
    A question, when did Marlin go to the micro-groove barrels?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Microgroove

Quote Originally Posted by ron brooks View Post
    A question, when did Marlin go to the micro-groove barrels?

Thanks
    1953 or so for 22's and 1956 for centerfires. I 'Spose it's possible some '56's appeared with ballard rifling but not after 1956.

By-the-way, Brett, I make your G prefix SC a 1950. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Woody,

Thanks for the information.

Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    Money owed on a gun is "good debt", just like a mortgage.

Glad you have that lever critter in hand now, Bret.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Guns and boolit molds are appreciating assets and tend to go up in value. Cars OTOH, are depreciating assets and go down in value. So, we should never feel guilty buying more guns and molds as they are sound investments. Wives occasionally understand this logic.

In Remebrance

Wise words Poygan, which explains why I own better than 60 guns of various persuasions and drive a '90 Toyota PU with over 200K and some serious skin cancer. I'd still be driving my '91 Toy with 260K+ on it but the cancer got so bad even my partner wouldn't ride in it. That and the EPA wanted an Enviromental Impact Statement filed for the oil leaking from the valve cover.

Anyone have any favorite cast and condom loads? I have the 358-180GB, Lees 358-180PB, 358156HP and solid, the Lyman 358 x190gr RN, RCBS 200, 358615? (215gr 357Max mould), 358429, ..... well, there aren't too many I don't have come to think of it. I even have a super secret stash of Remington 150 gr condoms. The barrel is traditional style rifling, not MG. Any favorites will be gratefully accepted. The New Lyman book is pitifull in it's treatment of the 35 Rem. I'll have to hunt up my older books.

My mid 90's vintage Marlin really likes IMR4064 pushing 180-205 grain bullets. It is a MG barrel but has not had problems with cast if sized .359+ and the 180 grain J bullets seem right snappy with 39.5 grains, a slightly compressed load. I load the 205 gr. RN at 39.0 grains for both my T/C barrel and the rifle. These would be maximum loads so approach with due caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast