WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Which boolit?

Boolit Grand Master

Which boolit?

Wondering which boolit to use hunting. Will be using my 357max. Ruger #1. The 358627 GB boolit hits 2100fps, the MM 235gr boolit will go 2010 fps , the "hammer" Old West GB boolit (260gr or so) will go 1930 fps and the 359-190 RD will go 2,400fps(2,400 ft lbs). Meplats on last three are almost identical @.260" , but I am thinking the "hammer" will do just that.

Plan on mule deer. Keep my shots to 170yds or less. However, I might also have an Elk tag, and thinking the MM or "hammer" will do the job too at these ranges. After all, the 30-30 works and the MM boolit should do just as well as a 30-30.

With the RD boolit, 3" high@ 100yds, and about 4" low at our 220yd gongs. The MM is about the same. Leaning towards just the MM boolit. "Hammer" boolit is about 7" low @220yds. You sure can tell the difference when it hits. "Hammer" boolit is the most accurate of the bunch, 1" vs 1.75" @ 100yds for the others.

Thoughts?

In Remebrance

What do you think the remaining velocity is at your max range? The Hammer mould looks great on deer, will you have enough remaining speed to get adequate penetration at max range on Elk? All of those will work if you have adequate penetration and HIT THE RIGHT SPOT. Can you allow for wind drift at 170 yards in poor light? Can you figure drop so as to ensure proper placement? A 6-7" vertical dispersion makes me think 100-125 yards would be my max range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most all the boolits hit POI at 170-180yds. If I can't put the boolit or bullet where I want it, I don't shoot. Not going to wound an animal, period. Rather do without the game than it run off and die a lingering death.

In Remebrance

Sorry, old age must be getting to me- POI? Point of impact? Or did you mean within a certain aiming area?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, point of impact. dMaybe I should have just said bullet will hit where I put the crosshairs, instead of above, as at 100yds. Didn't mean to be confusing.

Banned

Go with the Hammer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Go with the Hammer.
    Sounds good to me too!

Banned

you will maintain momentum with the heavier boolit.
    i shoot the saeco 250 grainer in my max revolver and i have to soften the nose or it will go right through a mule deer at 125 yds.

Boolit Grand Master

All will kill dead if you place them well.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.