RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taffin tests

Boolit Master

taffin tests

anyone have a link?
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Beekeeper
    Way I understand it he does not do any tests, just writes down what someone else does and takes the credit for it.

Jim

Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Banned

I know for a fact that that is bs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Way I understand it he does not do any tests, just writes down what someone else does and takes the credit for it.

Jim

I have been reading his stuff for some years and he makes it clear that he does his own loading and shooting. One article in particular I remember, he was shooting some of the buggest handguns with max charges. He said a day of many many heavy recoils made him sick and he had to lay down with a massive headache. Thats dedication! I have always liked his articles.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

This is not specifically "tests" but it is an article that I have used quite often:

http://tinyurl.com/2g5bd6k

John
    W.TN

All due respect, beekeeper, but John Taffin is a valued acquaintance of mine. Your claim is absolute and utter BS. Whoever told you that is either living in fantasyland or is a vicious liar.

Beekeeper
    Hey don't come down on me!
    I don't shoot sixguns and very little pistol of any kind.
    I don't know Taffin and wouldn't know him if he was standing beside me.
    I only stated what I have heard and been told by numerous people I know.
    If it is wrong so be it but an opinion was asked and I gave the only one I have. Right or wrong I am allowed to have one.

From some of the trash I have read about him in the past I am not so sure I am completely wrong.

My opinion .

Jim

Boolit Master

Didnt he have something against the word "boolits", or am I mistaking him for another writer?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Hey don't come down on me!
    I don't shoot sixguns and very little pistol of any kind.
    I don't know Taffin and wouldn't know him if he was standing beside me.
    I only stated what I have heard and been told by numerous people I know.
    If it is wrong so be it but an opinion was asked and I gave the only one I have. Right or wrong I am allowed to have one.

From some of the trash I have read about him in the past I am not so sure I am completely wrong.

My opinion .

Jim
    I don't believe an opinion was requested, only a link to information. "Trash" that is mentioned must only be circulated in other areas than those I frequent.

John
    W.TN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Didnt he have something against the word "boolits", or am I mistaking him for another writer?
    Yes, and all of his followers accused me of lying about my shooting and got me tossed off Single Actions.
    My explanation to him about the word "boolit" caused more division.
    I don't blame Taffin that much but a sense of humor would help. I blame his fanatic followers. Taffin has done some good work but he should not be a "cult" leader.
    The result with me is I turn the page when he has an article.
    Last edited by 44man; 10-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    deleted. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by buck1; 10-16-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Respect for fourm.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Yes, and all of his followers accused me of lying about my shooting and got me tossed off Single Actions.
    My explanation to him about the word "boolit" caused more division.
    I don't blame Taffin that much but a sense of humor would help. I blame his fanatic followers. Taffin has done some good work but he should not be a "cult" leader.
    The result with me is I turn the page when he has an article.
    It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. All of Taffins "followers"?

I was there. I saw what happened.

Beekeeper -- I am going to echo what several others have already said. I have known John Taffin for over 20 years. I have talked handloading, bullet casting, handgun hunting and competitive shooting with him many times, over many years. I have been a guest in his house and toured his loading room, and seen his projects that he had "in process" at the time. I have asked him technical questions on arcane handloading subjects and his handloading knowledge is both wide and deep. He loads, and shoots, many many thousands of rounds of test ammo every year, and I have personally seen the evidence in the piles of cast bullets, the stacks of shot targets, the loading projects, and the guns. He is missing over a half inch of bone in his right wrist (yes, I have seen the actual x-rays) from the cumulative recoil of all of the heavy-recoiling handguns he shoots for his articles. Yes, he did have a friend shoot some of his ammo for him a number of years ago when his wrists were in particularly bad shape, but John was right next to him, also shooting, because he needed to get the data for a tight publication deadline. He had help for one short period of time, when John had a severe medical conditions that would have probably kept most of the rest of us from shooting at all.

As for John using other people's data and passing them off as his own, I don't believe that for a second. First off, if you go back and read through his writings, you'll find that he is very careful to give credit to folks who develop specific loads (e.g. JD Jones, Jim Taylor, John Linebaugh, etc.). Secondly, John and I have corresponded back and forth for over 20 years, and in the process I have given him substantial numbers of loads that he could have used for "fodder" for his writing, and he never once has. Quite simply, he does his own research, and credits others when he cites their work.

The original question that was asked was where to find the Taffin Tests articles, and you attacked the integrity of the man himself, based on "what you heard" and no first-hand experience or knowledge of the man. That was not the question asked, and tells me all I need to know about you. I know John Taffin well, and am glad that I do.
    Last edited by Glen; 10-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    Glen

Boolit Master

Taffin needs to learn how to turn the caps lock off.

And by the way, does anybody know how he is faring at the moment?

I seem to remember hearing something about a heart surgery end of last month or so.
    Last edited by thx997303; 10-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master

First post about his surgery:
    http://singleactions.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=4650

Latest about 10 days or so ago:
    http://singleactions.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=4700

I haven't really kept up with the progress. I go to Single Actions and look at the pictures from time to time.

John
    W.TN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. All of Taffins "followers"?

I was there. I saw what happened.
    You have to understand I have nothing against him. I have nothing against anyone here that reads or knows him. I explained he has done a lot of work.
    However a few on the single action site were fanatical.
    It only takes one guy to mess up a great site.
    I wish I could have had meaningful discussions with Taffin but I was attacked by a few others.
    But I will admit, Taffin started it and then the flow started. I feel it is my right to defend myself and also our "Boolits."
    I spent a lot of effort to show how to make revolvers work and posted a ton of information and I have to ask why I wasted my time.
    I don't know it all so give and take is healthy, however I ONLY post what I have found and I don't give a darn if it is about a Freedom gun or any other gun, a boolit or a powder.
    I got a pile of PM's from the site wanting info.
    You must decide if you want to discuss things, transfer information or join those that jump down people's throats because it does not agree with their views.
    From what you posted, it sounds like the latter. I won't hold it against you because if you find something works better, I will not ignore you or jump on you. I will try it! Don't ever expect me to to get personal and bring stuff up that you posted for years. That is very LOW!

Just for the record, Taffin uses the caps lock for a very simple reason (and no, he's not "shouting"). He started online with the old "sixguns.com" and "sixgunner.com" discussion boards, where he would get LOTS of questions from shooters. The format of those old discussion boards was kind of "cluttered" and it could be hard to dig out a question or response without a lot of digging around. He would respond in all caps because it made it easier for both the reader and himself to find his responses. It's a habit that he has never broken. Now if somebody wants to criticize him for being a man who is set in his ways and hasn't broken an old habit, I would simply say "Guilty as charged." (and so would John), but I would hasten to add that I think that verdict probably applies to most of the folks posting on this board as well (myself included).
    Glen

Boolit Master

Really Glen?

See, back when 44man and Taffin and pretty well most on that board got into it, a person on that board claimed that Mr. Taffin uses a voice to text program because of his wrists.

They claimed that is why Mr. Taffin uses all caps.

Mr. Taffin never disputed that claim, as I imagine he would if it were inaccurate.

All of those sorts of software that I have seen have the option of NOT typing in all caps.

Makes me wonder which it really is.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast