Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass catch of the day

Boolit Master

Brass catch of the day

Buckshot and I went to the moutain range Tuesday. The pictures show my brass catch of the day. Some 0f those cases are huge. There are some marked 300 REM Ultra Mag. I don't know what they are intended to put down but I think it would handle anything that walks the earth. If I were offered the gun that takes such a cartridge for free on condition that I fire the beast, I would have to pass.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-19-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Nice find.

Found a single 300 RUM last time I was at the range. Thing has to kick like a mule.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

dont be a sissy go big or go home just kidding nice
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

If you feel the need to get those RUM cases out of your site, let me know and I'll make 50 Razorback brass out of em. That'll teach those little guys a lesson.

Smile

.300 RUM just kills things extra dead !!! No need to search for the ( I know I hit it ) ones.

RUM... I'd have to drink quite a bit of it before wanting to fire one of those things.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

volume brass catching

got mold?

Boolit Master

Good finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Thing has to kick like a mule.
    (In my best Crocodile Dundee voice) Nah Mate, that doesn't kick like a mule,,, This kicks like a mule!

4 bore! Now that kicks!
    Last edited by AkMike; 04-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    That is ridiculous, lol.

Not really...

This is at full recoil. With a 16 pound rifle!
    Last edited by AkMike; 04-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I thought the dinosaurs were extinct, now I know why.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Master
    GOPHER SLAYER
    What would you want for the 300 RUM cases? I have a friend who hunts with one and could use some empties.
    swamp

Boolit Master
    For some reason I don't mind handgun recoil, but I loathe it from a rifle. Maybe I just haven't killed enough nerves in my shoulder yet, or I got poor technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    If you feel the need to get those RUM cases out of your site, let me know and I'll make 50 Razorback brass out of em. That'll teach those little guys a lesson.
    Ah yes, the Razorback. I've told I'm going to go that route for a bolt action, once I get enough green for a serious bolt gun, unless I go .50 Alaskan instead ... or .458. Hum, maybe a Razorback bolt, .50 Alaskan lever, and .458/et al AR.

Some of you old timers must have a real chore giving your collection the attention it deserves!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend that has one and would like a price on some.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Super Moderator

................It's funny as heck to me. But I do in all honesty believe it is a serious illness ................this brass affliction. Maybe Wayne could invent a name for it if there isn't one already? Whoever it was at the range who did it, bless them In front of each bench there is now two 5 gallon buckets chained to the legs. One marked "Steel" and the other "Brass". Of course those who even bother to sort before dumping into the buckets don't, or can't read No big deal actually.

Now I burn 4.5 gallons of gas round trip, plus the $14 range fee and I AM by God gonna do my shooting. However GOPHER SLAYER was obviously in hog heaven. I think he spent 15 minutes shooting and we were there a bit over 5 hours He had every useable container he'd brought doing duty as scavenged brass containers. Toward the end of the day I could no longer stand it and on the back seat of the Sport Trac was several of those cloth grocery bags.

Now GOPHER SLAYER actually roots around in the buckets picking out what he wants. I simply took one of those bags and dumped 2 partially full 5 gallon buckets into it. Steel cases, and a few shotgun hulls included. I thought about taking a picture of it too, but figured why bother? Wednesday I threw out all the trash and seperated out all the rifle cases, then all the 9mm and 38/357's together, and then all the 'fat' pistol cases. I started the first batch of 9mm/38/357cases in the tumbler and started sorting the rifle cases.

That one bucket I dumped from the other range must have been from a CMP compitition as it was almost all '-06 and 308. I ended up with 478 '-06 cases (mostly R-P & Winchester) and 369, 308 cases. These were mostly R-P & FC, but Winchester and PMC brought up the rear of the useable quantities. The only 'oddities' were a few 300 Savage cases. I too ended up with a bunch, well 17 of those Rem 30RUM cases, some 300 Weatherby, a smattering of 243's, 270's and such. I didn't have room for'em, no personal need for'em and I didn't think GOPHER SLAYER was going to drive down from Cherry Valley to get them so I chucked them.

One really neat cartridge I found was that, a loaded cartridge. A 7x57 with a RN cupro-nickle jacketed slug headstamped DWM 1913! In great condition too. All I kept was the '-06, 308, 7.62x54R, 30-30, 45ACP, 45 Colt, a few 45 Beowulf's, 9mm, 38, and 357's. I tossed a buttload of 223 and 40 S&W brass.

GOPHER SLAYER found ONE 45-70 case, and that REALLY got him going but you don't find those type cases, and that one was his one and only of those. No 38-55, 32-40, 30-40, and similar. Heck, no 38 Super either! As per usual the ground in front of and behind the concrete slab was covered in brass.

I guess no one else reloads or else only me and GOPHER SLAYER are the only 2 using the range so morally decrepit and of such low scruples as to bend over and pick up brass? As mentioned I tossed a BUNCH of 223 and 40 S&W at home. That stuff is all over the place up there. One of these days Larry the RSO may say something but so far he just stands there and talks while you're picking it up!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Buckshot, next time you wanny throw away some usable brass, throw it my way! I'll give you an advance on a FRB + extra for the efforts of your dispicable dumpster-diving activities!

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    For some reason I don't mind handgun recoil, but I loathe it from a rifle. Maybe I just haven't killed enough nerves in my shoulder yet, or I got poor technique.

Ah yes, the Razorback. I've told I'm going to go that route for a bolt action, once I get enough green for a serious bolt gun, unless I go .50 Alaskan instead ... or .458. Hum, maybe a Razorback bolt, .50 Alaskan lever, and .458/et al AR.

Some of you old timers must have a real chore giving your collection the attention it deserves!
    I think you have it right with getting one of each Dan!

Boolit Master

Sometimes I go to the range to shoot and dont even get the guns out of the truck because everyone is blasting away with semi autos leaving the brass everywhere. And yes they do look at me like Im an idiot while Im limping around with a bucket scrounging for brass that I dont even have a gun for.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................It's funny as heck to me. But I do in all honesty believe it is a serious illness ................this brass affliction. Maybe Wayne could invent a name for it if there isn't one already? ...............Buckshot
    uhmmmm, I think the name you are looking for is brass prostitute.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast