Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronocide

Chronocide

Well, I suppose it happens to all of us sooner or later. Just glad I am not the first one in the world this has happened to.

I finally, got my new MIHEC mold fired up a few weeks ago, and cast some really fine .380 ACP boolits from ACWW. Really nice mould that is, and makes the nicest looking boolits, and they just fell from the mould. That is the one with the hollow points (Cramer type).

They've been working me half to death as of late, and with everything else, casting, loading, and shooting is something I feel very lucky to get time to do. Lucky to have my job in my business as well, so....anyway. Finally got some rounds made up, with these fine boolits. They were dropping about 93 grains very consistent. Bases on them very nice. Those brass moulds are really great. Put them over 3.0 grains W231 to try 'em out.

Of course I had to take my chronograph out, to see what was what. First fired some older rounds, from my Kel-Tec P3AT, with 105 grain Lee SWC sized down to .356. Then, those very fine looking rounds were next. 7 shots without a hitch, and getting good readings. Too bad I can't remember what I was getting now, as the 8th shot hit the "delete chronograph" button on the front.

Shock. Good grief. This only happens to others. But that Kel-Tec has that trigger, that I SQUEEZE and SQUEEZE right to the break point. Had it tilted down just a degree or so when the thing let loose with the shot.

So, here for your amusement....much to my chagrin. The beauty rounds, the recovered boolit from the innards on the chronograph, and the once proud face plate that has that final "delete chronograph" button pushed.

Boolit Master
    I guess you really didn't like that last string?

Boolit Buddy

Well, if nothing else you cast some mean looking (shooting) boolits!

Jim

I'm assumin you ain't sposed to push that button with a boolit
    ;-}

Sore chagrined indeed! I managed to cut a steel skyscreen support rod with a swaged 223 bullet. It gave the unit a real yank, so I replaced the steel rods with wooden dowels. Just one of those luck of the draw things.

Boolit Master
    Does that mean that I'm suposed to actually walk around the table and press the "delete " key with my finger? LOL!

I guess that you have read the thread " shot my chrony" It has several dozen confessions in it. Its hilarious to boot.
    Actually there were 2 of them
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shot+chrony%22
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shot+chrony%22

I think that we all can relate to the shot my chrony threads .
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Well, doesn't look like the bullet was tumbling . . .

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus
    Been there done that and believe me if your going to do it, do it when no one is around as your pals(?) will never let you forget it.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    dromia is right. My buddy shot my Chrony support rod the other day wth a 44 mag 240 swc. I told him not to shoot my Chrony, and what happens on the 1st shot? You got it. Cant lie, though, I shot it with a 22, another buddy shot it with a 223 sub sonic, and now he with a 44. Guess im gona have to build some reactive armor plating to set it in.

BTW...... The use of hollow points indicates the use for personal defense. if it will not fully penetrate a chrony, u sure you want to carry it? I have one I use for pliinking, and have carried it as a backup on the job, but Im just not sold on it for a primary defense gun. Would rather see someone stay safe than create a bad situation, but I guess it is already bad if you have to pull it.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Yeah, I shot one of my sky screen rods with a .38 wadcutter once. I know whay you mean by shock, seeing the chrony twist and jump on the tripod then running to it like a wounded buddy, (lucky I was the only one on the range). It still works like new, but there's a little superficial damage to the read-out face.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Bub
    I'm guilty of chronocide as well. M642 S&W with a hot loaded DEWC dispatched it cleanly with one shot. I fabricated a guard at work for the replacement chrono. A piece of heavy angle iron (5" x 5" x 3/8" IIRC) turned upside down and welded solid across the end of a piece of 1/4" x 6" flat steel. It works because I tested it again... with the same gun and load.

I shot mine for the second time last weekend. It has survived both shots. First went through the back corner about 2 years ago. This last one was a 200gr Lee 30 cal right through the front shade. I have new shades on the way, still using the chrony.

I figured I would go into chrono withdrawal fast, so I ordered a new one immediately. Given the number of calibers I load for, and all the different combinations, I need to KNOW what is going on with any one batch.

This time, it will be Shooting Chrony Gamma Master, with the detached electronics and such. I may be fabricating some sort of steel plate deflector shields as well.

Yea, when that tripod and chrono jerked back, and fell over in slow motion, I was completely discombobulated. Like Homer Simpson "It's still OK, it's still OK!!"

Nope, all vital signs flatline before it hit the ground. Arrggghhh.

Banned
    Long ago, when I was designing my chrono box I placed a hinged piece of 3/8" stainless steel in front to deflect gaschecks, primers (my Hybrid bullets), sabots, etc. Works pretty well and yet even it was not up to the chore when hit by a 55gr .224 fired in a sabot out of a 30-06 at 4400fps. I don't shoot those these days, still have a bunch of sabot for future projects.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Use a rest. Don't shoot off-hand, or even with your elbows rested on the bench. Look along the top of the firearm to check lateral alignment. Look along the side of the barrel to check vertical alignment.

At the risk of offending some sensitive soul, I'll add a little Biblical humor to back this up:

Genesis 2:2 ...on the seventh day, he rested...

Luke 10:37 Then said Jesus unto him, "Go, and do thou likewise".

There you have it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    From the amount of them I've seen blown away over the years I thought maybe you were supposed to shoot them.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    This time, it will be Shooting Chrony Gamma Master, with the detached electronics and such. I may be fabricating some sort of steel plate deflector shields as well.
    Does Shooting Crony still offer a generous trade-in for their shot-up Chronographs?

Not that I would know anything about that.

-HF

Boolit Buddy
    Looks quite a bit off-center. Here's a pic of my chronograph that was shot more accurately.

Boolit Master
    Park your car in front of it, that way you'll only loose your car, not your chrony

Boolit Master
    Pictures just make it a little sadder........
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"