MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 22 ammo of choice?

Boolit Master

Cheap 22 ammo of choice?

What have you all been finding to be the best of the cheap priced 22LR ammo. I have some Walmart Federal that I can hardly wait till its gone, it throws shotgun patterns in everything I try it in.

Boolit Master

I like Thunderbolt by Remington. I re-headspaced my 10/22, and it is a real tack driver with it.
    Runs with the best for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using winchester hollow points I got from walmart, Cant wait till itsall gone, it makes the federal look like match ammo

Boolit Grand Master

PMC Zapper has worked well for me. 10 shots at 50 yards from an iron sighted Mossberg single shot...

Boolit Master

Back when Federal and Remington first came up with the bulk 22s in the "milk jug" marketing at Wally World I thought, "Oh Boy I can lay up some cheap and good ammo..... not!". That was quite a while ago. Still have some of it... most shoot in patterns as others have posted. I still have some of it and have not bought any more. It's hard to get rid of because it shoots so poorly and is a waste of time to shoot and some of it even mis-fires. Anyway, I have found that within at least the moderately priced 22 ammo the current runs of Blazer 22 lr is very good for the money!

Boolit Master
    I use CCI standard velocity I got from Dick's. I think it was $25/brick. I use it for smallbore silhouette practice and club matches.

If you need more velocity to cycle an auto try some Winchester Dynapoints.

Good Luck

Park City, KS (right in the middle of Tornado Alley)
    I've been using the Federal "Target Grade" .22 in the 325 round bulk packs from Walmart with outstanding results in both an Anschutz 1451ST and an old tube fed, pre world war 2 Marlin 81DL. They both shoot ragged one hole groups at 25 yards with the stuff.

Then I've also had rifles over the years that wouldn't group for beans no matter what you tried to feed them.

When I first got that Anschutz, I was having grouping problems with it, and someone on another forum made a snide comment "Quit cleaning the bore until the groups start opening up!".

I always thought that target rifles needed squeeky clean bores, but when I tried his "no clean" advice, I was amazed by the difference.

Starting out with a shiny clean bore, after about 30 rounds of that Federal 40 grain target bulk stuff, it settled right down and started shooting really tight one-holers at 25 yards. At about the 600 round mark, it started to open up a bit, so I did one pull of a bore snake (no solvent on it) and it settled right down again. I do, however clean the action and the rest of the rifle after every range session, just leaving the bore alone until I start getting fliers. Then one pull through of a dry .22 bore snake fixes it right up again.

Who'd have thunk that?

Jim
    Jim Sheldon

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

US Army, retired, NRA Life Member, Certified Pistol and Reloading Instructor, Certified Range Safety Officer.

Boolit Master
    Don't much like cheap 22's, use mostly Winchester Power Points, they shoot good. One exception is the CCI Blazer, they shoot well out of my 10/22 and Mark II Target. As far as 22 Mags, the best ammunition I've ever used is also by far the most accurate the Fiocchi soft point will shoot 11/4" groups (5 shot) at 100 yards from my 94/22 with a Bushnell Trophy scope.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the CCI blazer. I have a bunch left from the 5000+ rounds I bought when it was 8.99 per 500.

Boolit Master

Remingtons with the golden bullet, whatever they are called.

The bulk pack Federals work as good as I can hold.

Boolit Master

I keep better quality ammo on hand but the federal 550 bulk pack's is what I shoot the most of. Once in a wlile you can hear one way under powered but for the most part there fine for backyard plinking. FB

Boolit Master
    The remington bulk pack consistantly has more duds than the other cheaq ammo. The federal 550 bulk pack seems to have almost as many fliers as the remington.

The cheapest decent shooting ammo that is bulk packed from walmart that I have found is the federal automatch for around 13 bucks for 325 rounds. So far I have been able to count on one flier out of 10. Yes, there is more consistant ammo but it will cost more than 4 cents a round.

Ammo was tested in several ruger mkII mk III 5.5s, HS duramatic, 41 S&W 5.5.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    i am still working on the 4 cases of wolf steel case i bought at an auction years ago. it shoots real good in both of my brno rifles. even does well in my old remington 514.

for matchs with my ruger mk1 i used fed. standard it shot good. but i had a light load some times.

I really like the aguila and remington subsonics.

I usually suggest getting a box of everything that's cheap and trying. My mark 2 pistol will shoot anything without a noticeable accuracy difference. My 10/22 is VERY picky.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

Aguila 40gr copper washed. Man that's some good ammo! I don't buy much of it anymore because they jacked the price up too high on it.

I must be lucky, I have shot literally thousands of the Federal 550 bulk pack stuff, and it's good ammo in most of my guns. My Henry shoots bug hole groups with it, so does my Mossberg 46B(b). My CMMG 22 conversion for my bushmaster AR works like a champ with the Fed's. The only ammo I've ever shot in my Sig 522 is the Fed bulk. Matter of fact, my CZ Kadet shoots tight groups with the Fed Bulk too.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Try it. Makes OK ammo go to good/great!

Paco! Regular ammo goes from good to great. 10
    http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I have a M69 that shoots the cheap as good as the high priced stuff. I have proof and it may be the rifle as I am not that good of a shot, and not one FTF. And yes I am to lazy to change the targets.
    Last edited by Freightman; 01-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    My .22 Marlin M1 and High Standard revolver both shoot fine tight groups with federal bulk ammo.
    My Savage is a tack driver with anything put through it.

Could be that it works best in short barrels. Both these guns were beat up on the outside but had perfect like new bores.
    I suppose the soft Federal lead bullet might not hold its accuracy if a bore were worn or allowed to lead up.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have been shooting the Federal bulk pack 550 round type 750 and it shoots good out of quite a few 22rf. The thing about 22's some guns love them and others hate them but to get the best accuracy with a bolt gun you have to play with the bedding and at least the torqueing of the screws.

Moderator Emeritus

Wolf Match Target or Winchester T22s are still my favorites without paying for Eley.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast