Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cant find lead

Exclamation where

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If there are any indoor ranges in the area, offer to buy their scrap. Check around for isotope containers at radioactive pharmacies too.
    How would I locate a pharmacy like that

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Check with the Nuclear Medicine department at your local hospital.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master

My best source of scrap lead is under the metal pistol targets at the outdoor range. I always take a gallon ziplock bag and a trowel in my range bag. If I'm the only one at the range (happens a few times per summer) I fill up the bag. It only takes a couple of minutes to get about 15# of really good lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by comershooter View Post
    How would I locate a pharmacy like that
    Ask at the local hospital. The Nuclear Medicine department probably has a director and his office would know.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-12-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Man

scrap

I just called my local scrap yard wand he said 55 cent a lb for all i can take. I know where im going tomorrow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Man I'm just getting into this as well but it's posts like these that make me want to stock up on as much as I can get my hands on.

I've got about 140lbs of smelted ingots that I have a total of $10 invested in and that was one days worth of scrounging. Do keep in mind that I stopped and asked at about 10 different places to get that and only one was willing to give them away and one willing to sell at $10/5 gallon bucket.

Guess which place I'm going to buy my new tires from.
    That's a REALLY good deal on WW's man. Just my opinion as I'd pay that all day long...............oh wait! That IS what I pay my local tire shops.........<GRIN>

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

I got a batch of Isotope ingots from Muddy Creek Sam. Worked great. Yes, I had to buy them but it was clean. No smelting costs, just the up front price of the ingots. There are others on this site that also sell lead. Not a bad deal at all. IMO
    Any wheel weights I can find, I save for the future.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Hello thanks for all the help I talked to the local Nuclear Pharmacist and she said she will sell me small amounts at $0.15 if she talks to her supervisor to make sure you don't need a license to buy lead.

A license to buy lead! Good goog-la moog-la, don't give them any ideas! Things are bad enough as is. Supposed to be free, and in a way we are, as long as we have the money for a license to do whatever. Disgusting if you ask me. OK. I wanna go fishing. License for the car, license to drive the car, license for the boat, license for the motor, license for the trailer and a fishing license. I have a higher that normal genetic need for protein, in my opinion, that's covered under an inalienable right, my right to life! They can take their licenses and put them someplace dark! OK, I'm done. That's a good buy! Search around here, you'll find some other info on the stuff.

I never thought about ranges do you think I could get brass from ranges too?
    Yep. Most clubs have brass trash buckets. Join a gun club and scrounge for lead/brass.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy

Just gotta look around....

Hello I am new to casting and reloading me and my dad decided to start as something to do together and finding lead is extremely hard the only lead I can find is 85 cents a pound and the tire shops all give theres to the same guy who has always got it and I am not sure where else to try because 85 cents a pound wont save any money.
    Our local Police Dept. has an under ground range, I had an EX-brother in law who was a cop and he got me a big bucket of the slugs from the bullet traps.
    Of coarse then they passed a city ordinance that prohibits discharging a fire arm inside the city limits !! So the gun smiths can't test fire either...
    My point is, if you feel brave, make friends with a cop, find out where they shoot, see if you can get the slugs. I cast with em and for plinking boolits they work fine...
    You just have to get out and look around, find and talk to old folks, lots of old guys have little piles of lead, copper, brass, see if they want to sell it or give it away for the asking. Especially if they were once into hunting or fishing, they'd like to help a guy out.
    I once got a 5 gallon plastic gas can, with a corner cut out, half full of old lead scraps from an old guy. It had everything in there you could imagine, fishing weights, lead plumbers solder, diving weights, wine bottle seals, battery cable ends, I melted it all down into ingots and shoot it up....
    Find where people shoot, if it's a dirt bank , dig em out. I have found several old stumps in the woods, I sat there for a couple hours digging out big lead balls and mini's from black powder shooters as well as pistol boolits .
    Find where people shoot and pick up the fired brass, it's FREE, take it, clean it up and trade what you don't use for LEAD to another shooter... After a snow melts off, many times you can find lead laying on top the ground from people shooting in the snow. Especially after Xmas, lots of people take new guns out to try em in the foul weather.
    Good luck..... "Papa Jack"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master

I wish I had an ounce of lead for every thread about how it's getting harder to find lead.

It's only going to get worse, I think, especially if you don't have a lot of spare time and connections. I have completely given up asking at tire shops. I just don't have the time for it, for one thing. Actually I can't justify casting or shooting at all right now.

I did pick up half a ton of lino this past summer, thanks to another member here. I'll hang onto it as long as I can, but may end up selling it if things get too tight. There are other things that will go before my lead does. Lead's getting awful hard to find nowadays, you know.

Boolit Master

Ask where you get an oil change or where you buy tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12