Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot .22 plan's

Single shot .22 plan's

I was moose hunting yesterday and came across a fair number of Ruffed Grouse.
    Now carring the 1895 made it a little tricky shooting with minimal noise, and I don't want to go the reduced load's route.
    I came across a site that offered free/cheap plan's on building a single shot .22.
    I'd like to have one as light as possible so I can carry it and my moose rifle of choice.

Any lead's out there?

Boolit Master
    What about cartridge insert for .22 LR.. in your current rifle..?
    One just need a short piece of .22 barrel and lathe and .22LR reamer.

S

Boolit Master

Talking

Check out the new single shot by Thompson Center that looks like a Encore with an aluminum frame I forget the model name of it.

Boolit Master

Too bad you are in Canada!
    In Colorado I used 32 mag revolver with a .315 round ball and 1.2 grs of Bullseye to take grouse while elk hunting some years ago
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Thompson Center's gun is the Hot Shot. The barrel is 19", weighs 3 lb. Would need an adult stock, though. The LOP as sold is 11.5"

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I was moose hunting yesterday and came across a fair number of Ruffed Grouse.
    Now carring the 1895 made it a little tricky shooting with minimal noise, and I don't want to go the reduced load's route.
    I came across a site that offered free/cheap plan's on building a single shot .22.
    I'd like to have one as light as possible so I can carry it and my moose rifle of choice.

Any lead's out there?
    A long barreled .22 RF revolver can be extremely accurate.
    I've always figured one should carry a small caliber handgun when carrying a high powered rifle or a large caliber handgun when carrying a .22 rifle. One large caliber weapon hould be carried for self defense against four legged or two legged predators whenever one goes into the quiet places these days.

I've also given serious thought to the sort of ultra lightweight single shot .22 that you seem to have in mind.
    My first experiance with the .22 was with a tiny News Boy style .22 that the feed and grain stores used to give away free to valued customers, with the intended purpose of killing rats that might get into the grain.
    This example had a brass barrel inside a drawn steel outer jacket. The early .22 RF cartridges being extremely corrosive the brass though softer than steel held up better to long use, at least when chamber pressures were still very low.
    Most of these old rifles now have badly swollen chambers due to the increased pressures of more modern .22 cartridges.
    Heres the Hamilton Model 27, the type I first used.
    http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/HAMILTON/HAMILTON%2027.htm
    A Japanese manufactured copy of this rifle was once available, but didn't sell as well as it should have.

The Garcia Bronco is another in this class
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=187137398

But like I said earlier a good long barreled .22 Revolver is probably better for this sort of work.

This is geared toward what you want.

http://www.packrifle.com/pictures.html

Anyways sounds like your moving around in them bushes, so carrying 2 rifles by yourself while your out hunting is not entirely practical, or safe. At least not 2 rifles at ready, there are various take down 22s that you can easily stash in your pack.

Other option is to purchase one of those break action combo guns, you know the ones were one barrel is a 22 and the other is a center fire or a shotgun.

So what are you gonna do when you see a grouse? Put your other rifle down by a tree and put together a little 22 and pursue grouse? Because this is THE BEST way to loose a gun!!! Perhaps you should think these logistics through a little bit.

Of course if you can sweet talk someone to carry the 22 for you, then your in business.
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 10-10-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Boolit Master

These people might make you an adapter to fit your rifles chamber. They only make stock ones for shotguns but I don't think it would be a big deal to turn one to your rifle cartridge dimensions. Or you could buy one big enough and have someone turn it down for you.
    http://store.dinaarms.com/
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    If you're willing to put up with carrying two rifles, try the little Chipmunk .22 rifle. Very light, very accurate.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I vote for a Stevens Favorite or one of the newer models as made by Savage. Origionals are takedown models.

Were not allowed to carry pistol's up here for hunting.
    Carring two rifle's doesn't bother me, I hunt old logging road's or high dry ground and try to avoid swamp's now.
    A steven's would be the cat's a$$ I didn't realize their making them again, any link's to them?
    I had an AR-7 but gave it to a family friend that fell in love with it.
    I want something I don't have to take my pack off and put together and that will run with 22 short's to keep the noise down.
    I am moose hunting afterall.

Any lead's on making a steven's type rifle or other single shot?
    As light as possible please!

Boolit Master
    Zuke,

Frank de Haas wrote a book, "Mr. Single Shot's BOOK OF RIFLE PLANS" on how to build single shot rifle actions. The "Chicopee rim fire" is a easy to build action for 22 rim fire class rounds. I put one together several years ago using a Marlin 39- A barrel that I had, it's a tack driver.

Brownells sells de Haas's books.

http://www.brownells.com/
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

3 sets of pistol plans, so you will have to install a longer barrel and use your imagination on a stock.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Prints...20Gun%20Plans/

from this site

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Prints_and_Plans_4/

Sorry there yahoo groups so you have to join to see the drawings.

In the end your better off purchasing a used stevens favorite, If you place any value on your time.

Or, if your a machinist of some competence you can go whole hog and make a scaled down rifle from these drawings (the sets are damn pricey thought)

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,148.html

Boolit Grand Master

I have a nice Rem RB #4 that is a a light and small rifle and very accurate. A friend's boys
    have a Stevens Favorite, another light and handy single shot. The RB as not cheap with
    a mint bore, but the Favorite was $100 with REALLY ugly wood. Shoots well and I made new
    wood for it. Too bad about the pistols, God knows what evil you may do out in the woods
    with a .22 pistol while you are already carrying a high powered rifle??!! Idiots.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have a nice Rem RB #4 that is a a light and small rifle and very accurate. A friend's boys
    have a Stevens Favorite, another light and handy single shot. The RB as not cheap with
    a mint bore, but the Favorite was $100 with REALLY ugly wood. Shoots well and I made new
    wood for it. Too bad about the pistols, God knows what evil you may do out in the woods
    with a .22 pistol while you are already carrying a high powered rifle??!! Idiots.

Bill
    My brother has a shot out No.4 wall hanger. It would take a lot to put it in good shooting condition but I may trade him out of it one day and have a barrel made for it.
    It really needs a new breech block as well.
    Only thing shot through it in the last fifty years has been rat shot, or CB caps to kill field mice that got in his shop ,and it hasn't been safe to shoot those for at least thirty years.

Its a takedown, and some previous owner hammered down the front of the receiver to tighten the barrel up.
    I'll have to have some welding and reshaping done there.

Boolit Buddy
    Zuke. Savage made a run of Favorites about 10 years ago. Before that it was, maybe, the '70's. If I was looking for one I would check the online gun auctions or gun shops.

Boolit Master

They still make/sell Savage favorites.

Boolit Master

I saw what looked to me like a Stevens Favorite (a new one) in the .22 rack at the local gun store. Could not see the price tag well but looked like $200-$300 maybe?
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Building one would be nice, but I'll do a Google search and see what happen's.

Boolit Master

I think sports south llc has them for under 300

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast