MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fav 454 Casull loads (Revolver)

Fav 454 Casull loads (Revolver)

I've been "Trial by fire"ing loads for the 458 SOCOM with good luck for the most part regarding Cast boolits.... however, it's been non stop finding what doesn't work, what does work, and what works best... (No worries though, I'm half way there...)

My next CB venture is going to be with my Casull (454 Raging bull 5.5")

This round has been around for a while, and I'm sure some of you have some experience in loading with it... with CB (Which I am switching to now exclusively). I really don't want to go through the same process with this.. and could use some directional persuasion.

I'll be shooting 300-325gr (350gr at most) GC FN boolits. This is intended to be a in the woods stopper in Alaska (Where I live).

Thanks again for the input...

My favs out of the SRH: Target: 25gr 2400 under a 255 RNFP PB lit by a CCI SR (400?)
    Hunting: 31gr IMR 4227 under a 310 SWC PB lit by same.

Adam

Boolit Master
    My FA loves AA#9
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

i have 3 FA 454 revolvers of various barrel lengths ! i have 3 bullet moulds ! a lbt 300grgc lfn , a MM 260grgc sfn and a MM 275 gr tc pb . with the 300 gr lbt the most accurate load is 28 gr 296, fed rifle primer @1450 fps , i have shot many groups under 1 inch at 50 yards with any of the pistols , with a scope from the bench. if you want loads for the lighter bullets? i use between 8.0 of tight group for 1,000 fps and 9.0 grs of tightgroup for 1,100 fps , for plinking loads with punch

I've decided I'm going use lil gun for the adult loads. I use this powder for my 458 as well so it will keep things simpler in my powder cabinet I hope. I'm going to use Unique for the kiddy/wife loads.

Anyone have a good source for cheap brass for the 454 casull? I bought some from Graf and it wasn't too bad, but I'm curious if someone knows where to get starline or comparable brass for cheaper than $40/100 shipped?

Boolit Master

i would think starline brass would be the way to go, order direct from them.
    as far as powder when i got my first 454 about 15 years ago lil gun was not around.
    i worked up my loads with ww 296 or ww surplus 820. i used several 1 lb cans of lil gun my selfe and last year bought a 8 pounder bottle i got equal accuracy and as a + with lil gun according to hodgens reloading manual created less chamber pressure than the other slow burners, however as brought up in another fourm [graybeards under freedom arms] lil gun produces higher temptures with a real possiblity of harming barrels from the high heat at least in the 454 casull ! soultion shoot slow so barrel doesent heat up and dont fire long strings of fire, or use another powder. i now use lil gun only in full power hunting loads and shoot slow letting the gun cool down between shots ,
    ive also have had excellent results with lil gun in the 22 hornet and 357 mag
    for the kiddy loads i would try tightgroup excellent accuracy if you have some ?,

bob

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I've decided I'm going use lil gun for the adult loads. I use this powder for my 458 as well so it will keep things simpler in my powder cabinet I hope. I'm going to use Unique for the kiddy/wife loads.

Anyone have a good source for cheap brass for the 454 casull? I bought some from Graf and it wasn't too bad, but I'm curious if someone knows where to get starline or comparable brass for cheaper than $40/100 shipped?
    I have some I'll sell $35/100 shipped. I have 500-600 extra.

Rod

Banned

Tony how many pieces of 454 you looking for? I've got a bunch extra from my last purchase at Starline. I can spare 50 at cost.

Oh and best load I have is 25g LilGun under a RanchDog 460350GC hardened to BHN24, 1470fps. It wont break your wrist but it'll shoot through a moose.

I recently tested the new NOE clone of that boolit. It's even better! The new boolit reduced groups by ~ 1/3.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had excellent results using blue-dot, and herco for target and white tail deer hunting behind a 255 and a 310 grain lead bullet. For full power max loads I've used W296 with good results. I had tried Lil-gun in the past and had problems, it seemed to be eratic and had velocity changes when going from warm weather (60-70 deg) sighting in, to Cold weather (20-30 deg) firing. This was with early Lil-gun when it first became avaliable, so things may have changed. I use nothing but WW primers as others have failed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    Tony how many pieces of 454 you looking for? I've got a bunch extra from my last purchase at Starline. I can spare 50 at cost.

Oh and best load I have is 25g LilGun under a RanchDog 460350GC hardened to BHN24, 1470fps. It wont break your wrist but it'll shoot through a moose.

I recently tested the new NOE clone of that boolit. It's even better! The new boolit reduced groups by ~ 1/3.
    I'm not in a big rush for them, I have plenty to hold me over for while, thanks though... I was just wondering if there was a cheaper place than G&S to buy it.

One thing I notice, is bullet/brass prices vary GREATLY across the internet... I just wanted to make sure no one was getting for like $10/100 somewhere...lol

Banned

No more Blue Dot for me in the Cassul. I was loading the LEE 310g, from 16g to 19g, it followed QuickLoad predictions. At 19.3g velocity skyrocketed and the cases stuck in the cylinder!
    No BlueDot goes from mild to wild far to quickly!

I get the same changes in H110/W296. A load that works well at 0 is far to hot at 70.

Middle of winter, I can use 28.3 of 296 under that 460350.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not tried over 17gr of Bluedot as the load I was looking for (mild and accurate) started to open up above 16gr. so you may be right. For what I shoot, white tail, I don't need the velocity of hot loads. I really went to the 454 for accuracy over the 45 colt, which will kill them just as dead. I can't seem to find a load for my old 45 ruger colt (a 3 screw), that is accurate to my liking. BD

.454 casull loads

Does anyone have the original f/a load data for the .454 casull.?I bought mine new in 1991 and it came with an exhausting assortment of loads for all bullets and powders, but I have misplaced it. I'm not talking about the data currently on their website, its more like a 20 page booklet.

Boolit Grand Master

I no longer have the loading manual either or the test target from FA. My notes indicate it ranged from 26.5 to 36.5+ of WW296 with a 300gr boolit. I have gone as high as 37.0 grs but have settled on 30.5gr 296 with a 300gr LBT LFN.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

casull loads

My current load is 29.5 gr h110 over an ssk 340gr hardcast/ silver alloy bullet. Velocity is about 1640 fps. Its a bit much for groundhogs though.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 300 gr. Lee boolit w/29.5 gr of Lil' Gun from my Encore. It likes the 300 gr RCBS SWC only marginally better.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

for factory 454 casull load data ! go to the FA web sight and click load data

Boolit Bub
    27.5gr win 296 in Starline case with lyman 452651 cast straight ww, no gas check. Bullet weighs about 345gr and shows no burning or deformity when dug out of slab cottonwood. Penetrated 27". Also have used hornady Mag XTP 300gr hp w/29.5gr win 296. Both are very accurate and controllable in my 7.5" Super Redhawk.

Boolit Master
    If it's any help, I stopped using Blue Dot in the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag and 454 Casull years ago. Blue Dot seems to work well in the low to mid range load data arena but as you approach the full power loads, Blue Dot gets real funky real fast. As mentioned in previous posts, blown primers, stuck cases and other "High Pressure" signs appear instantly with no build-up. Velocities get very erratic too. Blue Dot makes a great shot shell propellant and "Range Load" propellant but it has been my experience to avoid it at the mid to high end of the load data charts. AA-9, H110, 296, and to some degree 2400 all work much better with full power, heavy bullet magnum loads. And if you didn't know this - use heavy roll crimps.

Boolit Buddy
    My most used load in the 454 these days is 14 grains of HS6 under a 350 grain SWC. It does 1250FPS in my 4.75 Freedom Arms.

Toby
    Life begins at 45 caliber!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast