MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Use of an eye loupe to adjust sights.

Boolit Master

Use of an eye loupe to adjust sights.

Has anyone ever used an eye loupe to aid adjusting their tang sights>
    How about using a dial caliper to measure the before and after down to the .001 on the elevation and windage?
    EDG

I have seen people with a magnifying glass.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Ihave used a small magnifying glass but do not use anything but the scal on the sight which is good for a hundreth of an inch and can be interperated to half of that really easily.

Boolit Master
    I asked because they provide us with loupes at work. The ability to hold it with your facial muscles allows you to use both hands examining suspect parts.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

You can get little plastic lenses to make your shooting glasses into "reading" bifocals. The come in varying corrections and are easily stuck to the inside of the glasses lenses. That's what I used before I needed bifocals and then trifocals. The correct lens stuck in the upper quadrant of the lens for the aiming eye also makes a front sight easy to see.

Larry Gibson

ok ill plead ignorance here....i also have problems seeing the target and front sight clear out there. is there a lense i could use on my spects to improve this? also the little marks on my ladder are ok to see with my bifocols but the main problem i have is seeing out there at longer range with my sharps.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    ok ill plead ignorance here....i also have problems seeing the target and front sight clear out there. is there a lense i could use on my spects to improve this? also the little marks on my ladder are ok to see with my bifocols but the main problem i have is seeing out there at longer range with my sharps.
    Discuss it with your optometrist/ophthalmologist he may be able to optimize your prescription for shooting. My ophthalmologist told me he can’t see his sights either. Like me you may be out of luck.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

bigted , try a pair of 1 siopter readers on top of your reg glasses , see if it helps ,, one of the other magnificarions may work better for you, ck, and see. Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

You MEAN TO TELL ME.....that there are older shooters here that don't use prescription lens glasses with bifocals for shooting?? Hellsfire guys....I've been doing that since I was 45 years old!! Works quite well!! The prescription should be such that the front aperture/post is brought into focus and the bull should appear somewhat of a blur! The eye CANNOT FOCUS on two different things at the same time but it's imperative that the front sight be seen clearly with the target in the background blurred!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    You can get little plastic lenses to make your shooting glasses into "reading" bifocals. The come in varying corrections and are easily stuck to the inside of the glasses lenses. That's what I used before I needed bifocals and then trifocals. The correct lens stuck in the upper quadrant of the lens for the aiming eye also makes a front sight easy to see.

Larry Gibson

Where do you get them?

I'd be very interested as I don't like wearing my special shooting glasses when I'm hunting and I can't see the blinking sights with my regular glasses.

Isn't being a seasoned citizen just great. Well, I guess it's OK when you consider grand kids.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

ok ok ok...we gotta be carefull here!!! kinda like admitin to gettin lean on years. be damned if outside this very page that ill admit to it. i kinda have em fooled for a bit yet and i just wanna keep the ruse goin for a small time longer...lol

Boolit Buddy

Bifocal shooting glasses

If ya'll need bifocal shooting glasses that allow you to see to adjust your Vernier sights these may be an option;

http://www.omarksafety.com/category....fety_Glass.cfm

I've been using them over the last several years and they work pretty good for seeing and changing the sight setting on my Pedersoli Soule sights.

The only bad thing about them is if you tend to crowd up on your sights you may hit the glasses with your sight eyepiece under recoil and leave marks on the plastic lenses. I'm currently using a Hadley eyepiece with a rubber ring that precludes marking of the plastic lenses.

The cocking knob of an 03 Springfield or a Krag will also do a number on the glasses when shooting prone.

Have Fun,

JCherry