MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: texan shotshell loader

Boolit Buddy

texan shotshell loader

So i recently got a 12 g single stage press it seems complete and in good shape except for one thing, the priming die i think is missing something in my mind i can't fathom how it works. am i just no visualizing right, or am i right am i missing a part.
    sorry for the sideways thing i can't seem to make it rotate

also any charge data on Texan bushings out there? i'm looking for a light 7/8ths 1 ounce trap/field load.

thanks again, i'm so glad i found this website you guys have always managed to answer my questions.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a FW that I would like to sell but I can answer your question.
    The priming cup that you show should have a primer post, I cant tell from my screen if it is there, then there is a compression spring topped with a washer that fits freely over the post and inside the cup, This washer is about 3/8" thick.
    I do have a large selection of bushings as extra to the press, pm if you need any.
    shaune

Boolit Buddy
    You have a PM here is a picture of the inside of that priming cup

1. any idea where i can get the parts you mentioned
    2. any idea where i can download/buy a manual for this thing, i like the idea of at least having the ability to reload my own shotshells even if i don't do it often.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

Boolit Buddy
    reply sent
    as to a manual there is a guy on the bay that sells manuals. have been watching but he nevers has the FW that i need, yours looks like it is also an FW. might try to direct contact him about the manual, never know.
    he lists under Texan reloading, local western washington state

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to do a searck on www.shotgunworld.com
    I had a Texan press in the early 70's.
    It worked well for me.
    E-bay,Gunbroker and other auction sites have listed Texan parts.

Boolit Buddy
    Gunsamerica sometimes has listed Texan parts and reloaders also.

Boolit Master

For a manual you might send Pressman a pm to see if there is one in the ARTCA archives.

You are missing three parts for the primer cup. There is 1) a post that seats the primer, 2) a spring, and 3 a plug that sets ont he spring and over the post.

You might measure your cup diameter and then see if a MEC or hornady part will fit. Somoe others here may be able to help with measurements on the parts fo rthe other presses.

Here is the parts diagram for the mec 600 jr look at parts 16, 17, 18. These are similar to what you are looking for or will need to make.

Pre 1982 model

http://www.mecreloaders.com/Order/60...2PartsList.asp

And current model

http://www.mecreloaders.com/Order/60...5PartsList.asp

You might call MEC to see if they will giv eyou measurements for their parts. If it will fit or if it can be made to fit the spring, pad, and cup are about $12 it looks like
    Last edited by scrapcan; 10-08-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like three parts are missing from the primer seat. Post, Spring and Washer which you could make or dig up some place. A manual I could scan and send you a copy.
    The "Second Amendment" . . . AMERICA 'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
    Going to the POLLS ! Smile on my Face,
    HIT list in my Hand, RETALIATION on my Mind!

Boolit Buddy
    Good call i shall measure the cup, and post what i find, Rugg_ed you have a PM and my thanks for the offer of the manual i think i shall take you up on it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

Photos of priming parts

Here's a photo of the parts you need. I fished these out of a Texan reloader I had boxed up for shipping. I noticed that this assembly had fallen out of the cup it sits in, so if you got the press in the mail or otherwise laying on its side, look through the packaging if you still have it-they may be there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1798.jpg   IMG_1796.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the picture! i picked this up at a local store for dirt cheap just to play with. I have a gent here who is holding some parts for me till i can scare up the money to pay for them. I will probably need the washer and spring fabricated unless i can buy them from mec or hornady.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Mold

Texan bushings

I have about all the sizes of powder and shot bushings you can need, also, you can use Hornady bushing chart for the Texan.

Mike Circle
    7627-544-1295
    circle141@msn.com

Boolit Mold
    I also have a Texan FW (16 ga) I bought on e-bay. It was not complete, missing those same primer seating parts, and the wad guide. Also, it appears to just have the paper crimper (smooth round on inside, not like the brass mec one that has the "crinkles" to start plastic shells.

I just tried the primer seating parts from the 20 ga MEC 600, they fit fine (so will order those from MEC). Also, while at it, looked at the shot/powder tube, it was longer on the MEC, but they are the same diameter and would look to be interchangeable.

Aside from looking for old Texan parts online or at shows, does anybody know if other crimpers might fit? Also if any wad guides might fit on the Texan post (it is 3/8")?

Thanks,

Sailorman