Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30

Boolit Master

Glock 30

I went to a police supply store on my day off for some new boots. They didn't have my size, but they did have a Glock 30. I've been on the fence about getting one for a while.

I ran a box of frangible thru at their indoor range, and it shot great, especially for it's relatively small size. I guess I have large hands, because it seems to fit me well. The girlfriend has the single stack G36, and I like the way the 30 fills my hand out more.

It won't be quite as easy to conceal as the .38 snubnose it'll "replace" but I think having 6 more rounds of .45 is a worthy tradeoff.

Has anyone shot cast from a Glock in .45? I'm thinking it may be less of an issue with the octagonal rifling. What about plated bullets like the Berry's or Ranier? I used to use them with good results in my 1911 before I cast.

Or I may just get a replacement barrel so that using cast isn't an issue.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

See the threadhttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=33855 for others experience with cast in glocks. I just bought a barsto barrel for mine. I like it a lot better than the factory. If you shoot cast basically make sure you clean really really well if you use the factory barrel. I have no experience with plated bullets.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice - Glock 30 is on my to get list.

I would just pick up a Lone Wolf barrel if you plan to shot a lot of cast through it.

Boolit Master

I've thought about a different barrel for cast boolit shooting. From what I see online, properly sized cast boolits shouldn't be an issue, but with a swapped barrel, they definitely won't be an issue.

I'm still researching for now. And I'm definitely looking forward to some more trigger time to familiarize myself with the new carry piece.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    IME Glock 30 won't feed (actually extract) with SWC style boolits. Commercial cast 200gr SWC are miserable. The rim of the fired case hangs up on the shoulder of the boolit next up in the mag, and the case stays in the gun whilst the slide keeps moving rearward. Haven't tried truncated cone yet, but ball feeds well. No leading after 200 rounds tho. Was glad to see that. I believe the alloy was commercial "hardball" composition.

Tim sends

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    IME Glock 30 won't feed (actually extract) with SWC style boolits. Commercial cast 200gr SWC are miserable. The rim of the fired case hangs up on the shoulder of the boolit next up in the mag, and the case stays in the gun whilst the slide keeps moving rearward. Haven't tried truncated cone yet, but ball feeds well. No leading after 200 rounds tho. Was glad to see that. I believe the alloy was commercial "hardball" composition.

Tim sends

Interesting, I'll have to give it a try and see. My 1911 loves 200gr swc Berry's, and I've been trying to come up with a cast boolit to replace it. My H&K didn't have any problems with the Berry's swc's.

My dad's got a Lee 200gr TC mould with conventional lube grooves. He said he hates that mold, so I'm sure he won't mind me borrowing it for some tests.

For the small amount the gf plans to shoot her Glock 36, I'll either get some j-word bullets to load for her, or just let her pay for factory loads. I kinda don't see her paying the money for a Storm Lake barrel just to shoot reloads, but stranger things have happened. She is getting more and more into the sport.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep I would look into a aftermarket barrel by Lonewolf,KKM,Barsto,Jarvis

Jason

here is what buffalo bore ammunition has to say http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=59
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

I shot alot of cast, and plated through a G21 - way back before all the cast/glock "concerns". The G21 wouldn't balk on anything except when one individual "limp wristed" it & it would jam on every shot with any ammo. A Wilson Combat barrel cut the groups in half and calmed all the "chicken little's" I know.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master

I set up a quick pic of it today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tim357 pretty much nailed my experience with cast in the G30 regarding extraction. The one Lee bullet that I've found that works with the G30 is Lee's 230 TC TL bullet. I've shot less than 200 of this bullet out of my G30. However, I had no malfunctions. With the other SWC cast bullets I'd have 3-10 malfunctions per mag! It didn't matter if it was the 200 gr tumble lube or the 200 gr HG 68 style bullet. Oddly enough my G21 gobbles all three of those bullets up without a hiccup. I'll have to do more shooting with the TC TL bullet, but so far it's promising.

A little about shooting lead in Glocks. Yes, the factory says do not shoot lead in Glocks. As a Glock armorer I guess I should say don't shoot lead in Glocks. However, I had been shooting lead out of Glocks since before Al Gore invented the internet and haven't had problems! As a matter of a fact when I first got into Glocks I thought that those polygonal barrels were made for lead due to what I perceived as their ability to shoot lead so well with so little leading! Then the internet came around and I heard of Glocks Kbing and that the poly barrels were terrible with lead bullets (which was completely contrary to my experience) So I think we should blame Al Gore for the no lead in Glocks thing!

The things I found were key to shooting lead out of Glocks are proper lube and proper sizing. I use either Rooster Jacket or the LLA/JPW with some bees wax for lube and size the boolets to .452. I also never let the sun set on a dirty gun so I don't let the gun get the opportunity to let lead build up. With my loads I've had very minimal leading in the factory barrel and have had very good luck regarding accuracy. For cleaning I've only ever had to use some Mpro 7 on a patch that was wrapped around a old cleaning brush and the bore is spotless!

YMMV, so use some common sense and good luck finding the right combination for a good load in your gun!

By the way, my 30SF is trying very hard to replace my S&W 340 PD as my off duty gun!

Boolit Master
    I will also chime in about my new 21SF. Previous 45 was a Sig 220 that absolutely hated my Lee 225-452-1R boolits with LLA/JPW, so I was all set to get a Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock.

Surprise! Not one whit of leading in the stock poly barrel after ~200 rounds. As a matter of fact my GF and I competed in the local IDPA shoot today, and after 175 sent downrange, the barrel was just as mirror bright as when I cleaned it the night before. One swipe of the brush sent any JPW residue packing, zero leading.

Definitely a big relief, and just reinforces my good decision buying this 21. My GF likes it a lot better too...less complicated.

On a side note, the Lee boolit I'm using needs to be seated very deep for it to chamber properly. Why Lee decided to make it a 1R is anyone's guess. Works fine though with zero issues provided I charge it on the low/mid side.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had both the 21 and the 30. I went on the safe side and just get Lone Wolf barrels for all my Glocks because all I shoot is cast. I sold the 30 but kept the LW barrel for the next one. This way you can fire lap and condition the bore so it is perfect for you.

Here's what I found with the two and LW barrels. The G30 fed the 200 RFN that I tried terribly although the 21 shot them fine. So, I went to the Lee 230TC. They need to be seated so the shoulder is all the way to the case mouth. The LW tolerance is tighter than the GLock barrel and the bullet shoulder will hit the barrel rifling and not fully head space on the case mouth - resulting in misfires. The bullet would be hitting the rifling and the firing pin would it the primer but just push the case in - I found that the case mouth needed to head space. So, I suggest that you be sure to use a good taper crimp or Lee FCD and drop the rounds in your barrel before a trip to the range.

Once I paid attention to the detail, both the 21 and 30 shot these lead rounds flawlessly - thousands of rounds without failures to feed or fire.

The 30 is a great gun. By the way, the 21 mags work fine in it - 13 rounds - but they do hang out.
    Email: daryl@ohioguns.us

I'm an FFL interested in wholesale purchases of modern firearms. http://www.ohioguns.us - Credit/Debit cards OK. Site has constantly changing inventory - will ship to your FFL.

Boolit Master

Good info guys.

I scrounged a Lee 230gr TC mould from Dad's garage that he never liked. It only casts decent if I have it damn hot, but they don't look bad. I tumble lubed some up in LLA/JPW mix to try out.

I have them seated fairly deep, and the dummy chambered without issue. I have to work all night, hopefully I don't sleep all day tomorrow, and will have a chance to load some up and get to a range.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the brass to watch for signs of pressure anyway, so I'll be looking for the infamous Glock bulge. I didn't see any signs of it in the first little bit of shooting I've done with it so far.

I want to do a custom built Glock next, starting with a G21 and building a long 10mm slide for it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I load Lee 452-230-TC for my brother in law to shoot out of his full size Glock 45. He has had no issues with his factory barrel.
    I cast plain air cooled clip on wheel weights. At first I was using Lar's Carn Red sized to .451", then started using Magma Hard Lube sized to .452".
    I load with 5.3 grains of WIN231/HP38.
    No feed problems and works great in my Norinco 1911.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post

The 30 is a great gun. By the way, the 21 mags work fine in it - 13 rounds - but they do hang out.
    Take a look at the mag on the right side in post 10. That's a G21 magazine with a sleeve around it down by the floorplate so it's the same size as the G30 grip. It's not much longer than the Pearce "grip" floorplate. I also stuck a +2 floorplate on a G21 mag. I've got to test it out still, but I haven't read about any problems with them online.

I used to say that hi-capacity guns were for bad shots. I'll have to say something different now that I have one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    Take a look at the mag on the right side in post 10. That's a G21 magazine with a sleeve around it down by the floorplate so it's the same size as the G30 grip. It's not much longer than the Pearce "grip" floorplate. I also stuck a +2 floorplate on a G21 mag. I've got to test it out still, but I haven't read about any problems with them online.

I used to say that hi-capacity guns were for bad shots. I'll have to say something different now that I have one.
    Glad you'll have to say something different so I won't feel bad about the 32-rounders for my G17! Of course, it's more for my son to shoot?

I'm an FFL interested in wholesale purchases of modern firearms. http://www.ohioguns.us - Credit/Debit cards OK. Site has constantly changing inventory - will ship to your FFL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    Good info guys.

I scrounged a Lee 230gr TC mould from Dad's garage that he never liked. It only casts decent if I have it damn hot, but they don't look bad. I tumble lubed some up in LLA/JPW mix to try out.

I have them seated fairly deep, and the dummy chambered without issue. I have to work all night, hopefully I don't sleep all day tomorrow, and will have a chance to load some up and get to a range.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the brass to watch for signs of pressure anyway, so I'll be looking for the infamous Glock bulge. I didn't see any signs of it in the first little bit of shooting I've done with it so far.

I want to do a custom built Glock next, starting with a G21 and building a long 10mm slide for it.
    I've not heard of the bulge as a problem other than in the 40's? Even though I use the LW barrels, I did compare them to the Glock and they were a bit tighter. I had no problems chambering some in the Glock barrel that were a bit of a problem in the LW barrel.

I haven't had any problems with the brass bulging in the Glock factory barrels. I have some cases that have been reloaded many times and only shot out of Glocks. I've had no problems at all!

Reading through, I see several people had the same experience with their Glocks as I, regarding bullet design. My Model 30 loads-shoots ejects my RCBS 45-230 LRN and HG 34BB 230 LRN as well as any factory FMJs I've shot through it. But, it absolutely hates SWCs. 4.6 gns of AC2 does all I need; averaging 700 fps with my moly coated lead bullets. This little Glock competes accuracy-wise with the best I have; no barrel mods at all right out of the box. I've been shooting the Glock a lot of late, and it never lets me down. I find a good grip important however, being the Model 30 has such a short barrel; 3.5 inches.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron B.; 02-15-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Correction on typo