Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 7.62x39, 5744, and heavy boollits (180+)

Boolit Master

7.62x39, 5744, and heavy boollits (180+)

I've done the thread search for heavy boolits in the Shortsky Rooskie, and I'm finding that the information out there is slim to none. I'm also finding that there is also little to no data for 5744 powder. I see that people are using 1680, which is right next to 5744, but with 5744 being a great powder in cast loads, what gives here? I'm also on the road to finding a heavy, subsonic load for my IO Inc. AK. I found a post that mentioned 14.5 grains of Ramshot X-Terminator. I've got some Lee 200 grainers loaded with that recipe. I'll shoot them tomorrow and report findings.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator

The Lyman 3112847 @ 214 grs in the 7.62x39. It's engraved pretty well, eh ! I used a flat nosepunch trying to get it short enough to feed from the magazine of the Mauser, and it's JUST a tiny bit too long yet.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Is that a Harris / Lee on the right?
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I have had very good results with the Lee 200 grainer in my 7.62x39 single shot bolt action . I use 6.5 gns of Unique and seat the boolit very deep to allow a loaded round to be ejected. Accuracy is near MOA and velocity is 1050fps.
    To be honest the accuracy of this load was very surprising . The rifle features a one in thirteen rifling twist and all the formulae suggest the boolit would not be stabilized at such a low velocity

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I tried #311332 sized .311 in my 7.62x39 CZ-527 carbine. Boolit weighed 190 gr lubed and checked. 22 gr of IMR 4895 (compressed load) 2.20" COAL. NOT subsonic, kicked quite a bit more than milsurp. More accurate than the steel cased military ammo, not quite as good as Lapua. I DON'T recommend this load, especially for semiautos.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rvpilot76 View Post
    Is that a Harris / Lee on the right?
    .............Yes it sure is And an admirable shooter is is too. One of the best loads I've stumbled across for it (from my Mauser) is 28.0grs of surp 4895. THis is a full case with the GC sitting on the powder. Good for 1920 fps.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    UPDATE:
    12 grains of 5744 drives the Fatter 30 boolit (200 gr.) out my IO Inc. AK at 1150 FPS and cycles the action. Gonna try 11.5 and 11 grains tomorrow to get the velocity down and see if they still cycle. I'm a little amazed that this wide-meplat boolit feeds from the mag like poop through a goose! I can't give group size results, as the front sight needs to be adjusted badly. Groups are nearly a foot to the right (from the factory).

Kevin

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I think I'll start a new thread entitled "subsonic roosky" and let people post their recipes there for this specialized round loading.

Kevin

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    This concept has really been gnawing at me for a while. I was previously considering reloading heavies for my mosin and .308, but now that I have an SKS, I'm really thinking it would be a great gun to try this with. Since I can't cast my own boolits, I found this page: http://www.montanabulletworks.com/30...ish_Rifle.html and I think these boolits have a lot of promise. There's already loads for the 180gr ones at 1700 fps (I'm wondering if it can be pushed to 1800-1900?), I'm also wondering if there are supersonic/subsonic loads one can make for the 200gr varieties that will cycle the SKS. Anyone have for sure data on this? I plan on producing a video on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/savage1r?feature=mhee covering this. With boolits running $23/100, powder running $18-24, these could turn out to be an awesome 300blk alternative. Let me know what you guys are thinking.

Another combo you may consider.. My lee 160 actually drops and finishes at 173gr with a GC. I couldn't tell you what it spits out at since my chrony went to velocity heaven some time ago--but I'm pushing it through my AK with 16gr. H335 and full cycling. Max for cast is upwards of 23+gr. I do know a non-cycling really quiet subsonic load is 4 to 5 grains Red Dot.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Bub
    I'm loading and shooting the Lee 160 gr. gc bullet tumble lubed and sized to .311 which is how I get gas check on and bullet is well lubed,Ive been using H-33523 grs. and just started using BLC2 24 grs. these loads are full power, I cast WWs and no leading so far. I stay with a 5 rd. mag, I guess if I tried a couple 30 rders I would have alot of leading, what surprisises me is pentetration, I have a neighbor with reative steel targets, he said my loads would do no harm and the targets could handle 30/06 rds. my bullets went through his target, he was freaked and POed, I figured the bullets would disintegrate on impact, but left a nice hole and turned his plate into swiss chesse, is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by rvpilot76 View Post
    I've done the thread search for heavy boolits in the Shortsky Rooskie, and I'm finding that the information out there is slim to none. I'm also finding that there is also little to no data for 5744 powder. I see that people are using 1680, which is right next to 5744, but with 5744 being a great powder in cast loads, what gives here? I'm also on the road to finding a heavy, subsonic load for my IO Inc. AK. I found a post that mentioned 14.5 grains of Ramshot X-Terminator. I've got some Lee 200 grainers loaded with that recipe. I'll shoot them tomorrow and report findings.

Kevin
    That was mine. I never tried for accuracy. Also never shot enough to check for leading. Cycled real gentle. Tossed brass at my feet. No sonic crack. I can say that I built the AK myself and the rails are polished pretty good, the bolt movement is real smooth compared to many other AKs I felt.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms