Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube test

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well it's crowding above 80 today and tommorrow. Cold front coming next week.But nothing that would stop a fella from shooting a little bit if he wants to..
    But to those that put their rifles away when the weather turns cool, you may find it somewhat of a surprise that even at or below freezing with 15% humidity lubes will still "fail".
    And yes its a royal pain to have to wipe with patches stiff with frost crystals.... and blowtubes with metal tubes are a unique learning curve in their own right....
    Long story short the initial test I had planned will go on this fall/winter. Spring brings in some mid 70's and dry days as well.The long term results from serious match shooting won't happen until May... but in the mean time I'll have a pretty fair idea of how well this Nasa lube is going to do by the time the first relay of the first match is called to the line.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    80"S wow!!!!! We have been getting snow for several days. My boys were riding snow machines last night.
    We are cold but we are also dry. Like Don said try dealing with hard fouling at -30, think antifreze.

Yessir matter of fact they just put up RED Flag warnings thru tommorrow night.
    We're terribly dry and hot. Not usuall fall weather for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I live here in very dry place. Today humidity is 15%. It has been as low as 2% this year. Normal is around 10%. Our average rainfall is 1" a year.
    The only lube I have for BP is olive oil & beeswax and I make my own. The dryer it gets the bit more olive oil I add to my little lube mixing pot.
    Now all I have to test with is a 1903 made 44-40 SRC with a 20" barrel. My favorite boolit for it is the Saeco 443 220 grain. It does not have deep lube grooves but seems sufficient as I have never had any failure of lube. I do not blow between rounds and generally fire no more than 10 before running a wet patch through the bore. I do not have a bench to shoot off but use cross sticks. This rifle holds 3" at 70 yards and seems to not loose any of that through 10 shots.
    For BP all I have is an unknown brand that looks like 3F to me. The bees wax I use is from a local candle factory that make religous candles. I have no idea of the bees or what they eat but this batch of wax does not seem to cause lube failure under my low RH factors. But then again a 44.40 is not a 45-70 or 50-70 or a 45-120 and a 20" barrel is a far cry from a 32".
    Another factor that I should have added is temperature. an average day is 75 may get to 83 as we are at 8000 feet and my range is at 9000.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 10-14-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

We got up in high seventies here too, but 55% RH. Great day for spraying Roundup.
    Would have been a great shooting day, but prob one of my last good work days.
    Howling wind coming tomorrow.

I wanted to spray some bind weed when we got a good senging frost. Problem came we didn't get a senging frost, we got hard freezes and knocked it down. Won't do much good to spray it now. Next year.....

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with SPG till I tried a new bullet with slightly smaller grease groves, It was 80* with 20% humidity. No amount of blow tubing would get me past the 7th round of a ten shot string with out hard dry fouling on the last 6" of my bbl. This was on a 40/65 using swiss 1.5 . Anyone have a good lube formula for the warm and dry in a 32" bbl?

Sagebrush alox has worked pretty well.
    But with that said I dipped 50 rounds last night with this Bullshop Nasa lube. I think it's going to be some really good stuff.....Stay tuned sports fans.....

Boolit Master
    Sure want to see some good test results. Looks like I can blow tube till I hyperventlate , #2 push a patch through after ever shot , #3 start over and try to add a lube cookie. Going to watch top shooters closer next match. And watch this thread closely.

If 4 DEEP breaths won't keep the fouling soft, you probably need to be using a wiping rod and what ever type of patch, borepig etc that suits ya.

Boolit Master

Don

FWIW, NASA is all I use anymore. Try what I call dry wiping. Even after 10 shot strings I can push a snug patch down the bore and while I would not store it that way, it is clean as a whistle. I have done this all summer and only use wet patches for final cleaning of the day.

I'm not telling ya how to run your test, I'm just curious to see if you have similar experience

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When I make my lube I test it this way.
    I will shoot several rounds and use the blow tube. Then when the barrel gets fairly warm I use four blows and push a snug patch through and if the fouling is not like a grease the lube is not working the way it should.
    I do this till the barrel gets hot to the touch. When the barrel is in this condition and pushing the patch through feels like it's hanging up and I'm pushing fouling out that falls out like sand the lube is failing.
    To this day the lubes I have made will not pass this test when I use a B-Wax carrier no matter what the hocus pocus mix I use with the B- Wax.
    The only lube I found that surpasses a B-Wax mix is a pure hard Tallow that has the consistency that is as hard as a candle that needs a little oil like peanut oil to soften it up a little and nothing else.
    And I found a mineral wax that I been working with that hydrates with a few blows on the tube that is working better than any B-wax mix I have used.
    At first this stuff formed a crust lube star but a gentle exhale would turn that crusty lube star to a grease that would wipes with your finger. The last batch I made a month ago it now stays soft.

If you want to test lube to see when it starts to fail swallow a swig of water blow two long breaths push a dry patch down the bore as the barrel heats up. The patch will tell you when the lube stops working.
    Testing a lube and your wiping the bore clean between shots dont tell you a thing about the lube. You dont need lube if your using a PP bullet and wiping between shots. Use the tube for your test.
    Kurt

Boolit Master

That's my point Kurt. A 10 shot string with no blow tube, fired in three minuted heats up the barrel nicely My experience with NASA is that the dry patch following the shot string is still as you say greasy.

Four years ago when I first tested it. I ran a 10 shot string in under 4 minutes. No tube, no wiping, using a 457125. Here is what I got then with a damp patch.
    pushed a damp patch through the bore and it was SHINY CLEAN. Not just clean, spotless. Two dry patches and it was a mirror of perfection.
    Those results led to trying a dry patch and the results were nearly identical. My bench is not under roof, so all my shooting is done in direct sunlight as well. Certainly the humidity is higher here in the east, but the flash heat of long strings on hot days is a fair indicator I think.

SS
    Last edited by SharpsShooter; 10-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Sharpshooter, such a test here in the dry climes of Wyoming, Mt, NM, or even the Sagebrush match at Alliance Neb, would fail. Such a test is no test if the Humidity is over 38%. Not trying to pick a fight or anger you. Folks that have never shot a match in Low Humidity, do not understand what some of us are trying to convey. Kurt makes an excellent point any lube with Bee's Wax as a carrier will fail in humidity below 28% it starts to go south at 30-32% and by 20% no lube works except the Stuff Dan T makes which has not Bee's Wax.

Kurt has made an exceptional Lube using a Mineral Wax as a base, I suspect it is the say stuff Dan uses as it has some very similar propertys. I will be testing it along with NASA, when I can get days off and the weather is dry I dont care about the temps as long as it is not too cold! Dry is what kills ya. Folks that have never shot out west just are not getting the whole Picture, no offense ment or intended. Just a fact. Farthest East I have shot is at Miller KS. It was pretty humid compared to where I live and never had Lube or fouling issues like we do out here.

KW
    The Lunger

PS I will be testing Kurt's lube vrs NASA. I got money ridding on Kurt's lube just because I know it contains no Bee's wax. I also have a few rounds left with Dan T's Lube the White Lighting to use as a control. You made a remark that I would be eating Crow, on the NASA lube, It is easy to make such remarks hidding behind a Moniker. To me that was quite Insulting which we both know you fully intended.

I give my real name on my posts I do not hide behind a screen name or Moniker. If you can not give me the common decencey of using your real name while insulting me I will no longer Reply to any inflamitory Posts you make.

Kenny Wasserburger
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 10-22-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Kenny
    If what you say about the bee's wax being the limiting factor is so and I hope you are able to determine that absolutely then I will likely be working on an improved nasa lube using the mineral wax or possibly a microcrystalline wax.
    I never meant to say nasa is perfect but the bee's wax aside the other ingredients seem to have beneficial qualities.
    I am always looking for ways to improve my lube, and myself. I sure do appreciate you and Don doing this. Thank you!

Boolit Master

Kenny,

Since you showed up here and started posting your bloviated opinion of yourself, I have had little respect for you or your opinions. One of your first posts was http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11545 in which you purposely started a thread to impress the unwashed masses with all with your medals. I have little use for a braggart and that has left a foul odor on your postings that yet remains.

"I got money ridding on Kurt's lube"
    sounds suspiciously like predisposition to me.
    "Not trying to pick a fight or anger you"
    Horse apples! You called me by name here and previously in a direct and challenging manner regarding the discussion of lubes.

I'm encouraged however to see that you are smart enough to recognize an insult. There may be hope for you yet. That remark of mine actually is incorrect and I do apologize as it is obvious crow will not be table fare for someone with an announced proclivity to another product. By your own admission the fix is in.

(aside to Kurt. I intend no offense to you or your product in any fashion)

"I give my real name on my posts I do not hide behind a screen name or Moniker. If you can not give me the common decencey of using your real name while insulting me I will no longer Reply to any inflamitory Posts you make."
    Learn to spell for heavens sake! If you wish to use your given name that is certainly your right and privilege no matter how imprudent. Perhaps a brief lesson in identity theft is in order.

In two minutes I know ....

Kenny Wasserburger, (307) 687-0xxx
    8xx Glacier St
    Gillette, WY 82718-5751

Household : Karen X Wasserburger, Dennis X Wasserburger,

How's the CBM gas and oil thing going?BTW

Identity theft starts with the simplest things. Having had mine stolen once, I am content to conceal from prying eyes vital information. It has nothing to do whatsoever with "common decency" unless of course you wish to indicate the rest of the members here that use screen names are not commonly decent?

That you have skill fielding a BPCR, I will not argue. That you are a legend in your own mind wouldn't prompt a disagreement either. I'll readily admit that I did on one occasion approach you in a PM with a question regarding paper patch bullets. I mistakenly thought that if I put my opinion aside that perhaps my first impression was a bit harsh. You chose not to reply and my impression remains.

Now your choice to not reply to me is ....well your choice. So with all the above in mind, if you promise not to get emotionally attached , you can KMA.

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It will be interesting to see how this lube wring out over the next few months. I wouldn't call a ten shot test of anything definetive. As near as I can tell a good test of a lube will involve a seasons worth of shooting unless the lube in question fails miserably in the preliminary.... I don't think this NASA will fail any time soon.
    Lots of lubes can go 10 rounds with out help, the acid test is can those lubes go the 10 rounds and not have the accuracy deteriorate?

Boolit Master

10 shots into a ragged hole at 100, done three times running the same day convinced me Don, but you guys shake it out however works best for your climate and judge for yourself.

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Unhappy

Sharps shooter,

#1 I have never received a question from you on Paper Patching. If I had or have missed it then I am sorry as I always try to answer anyones PMs to me.

#2 You, need to keep up, you mention my exwife of 7 years past, also you mention my brother Dennis, who will be Dead 9 years Nov 17th this year.

And you have Sunk to a all time low with that posting draging in my brother and exwife.

Mr. That is about as low as you can go.

Kenny Wasserburger

SS

There was no reason for you to make that post above.

I don't sell lube it's just for my use and I give a lot away. One way or other I don't care what the test results are. For my own purpose for Kenny to see if mine hold up in his conditions is for me so when I shoot out his way I know which lube I will use and I know I can trust Kenny to give a truthful evaluation with out bias and I will go on fron there.

Kurt

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast