Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Which bullet?

Which bullet?

Hi everybody. I'm new here & this is my first post.
    My latest project is a 375JDJ on a Handi-rifle frame.

I want to start shooting cast bullets (more cost effective that jacketed)

I know diddly squat about what cast bullet I want to try other than I know that I will need to have a gas-check. What do you guys recomend in the bullets say 255 grain & under? Thanks in advance.

The Lyman and RCBS gas checked 38-55 class molds are good ones. Would probably end up a tiny bit over 255 grains. I use the old Lyman 375296 which is virtually identical. Over kill on bambis at 2053fps with 283 grains of wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The Lyman and RCBS gas checked 38-55 class molds are good ones. Would probably end up a tiny bit over 255 grains. I use the old Lyman 375296 which is virtually identical. Over kill on bambis at 2053fps with 283 grains of wheel weights.
    No such thing. The more gun i use, the less i have to crawl through catclaw and mesquite brush. I love the 375 cal's and love the stock on that NEF. Besides, my 243 jacketed bloodshot more meat in one season than my 45-70 has in the last 10 years.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    My suggestion to start with would be the Lyman 375449 which weighs 280gr in my alloy with GC. Its very similar to the 375296 except drops a smaller diameter bullet.

I generally look for "heavy for caliber" designs in cast bullets. Your singleshot might be better with a bore ride design with shorter shank due to the short neck of the JDJ. Likewise, you may want to tailor it to the bore/groove/throat/twist of your rifle.

Go to the NEI website and look at the various designs and then go to Mountain Molds to draw it up and have it cut.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    I would go heavier as others have suggested, before going 255 gr or lighter. Just my thoughts, as it is natural to slow things down abit with cast, I would like more momentum working for me. 265 gr. would be the lightest I would go, but still would go heavier.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Welcome Doug!!!

BABore's 375 design is now what I shoot. He's a forum member here (located in the sponser section) who does cherry cut molds; his work is very good and is highly recommended. I used the Lyman 375449 before this bullet and it was a good one but I just never liked the multiple lube groove design. The BABore design is more accurate from my 375 H&H and I also had him make me a HP in one of the cavities so I now have two designs.

Here is the design 378-275-GC:

Last edited by RobS; 10-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks for al the help guys. RobS I can't find BABore in the sponsers links. I must be looking in the wrong place. I like the design in your post. should work well for the 375 JDJ due to the short neck.

Boolit Master
    Doug:

Here is a link directly to his site:

http://www.brp.castpics.net/R1.html

Thanks Rob I appreciate that

Boolit Master

My old man shoots a 375JDJ ALOT, I will ask him what moulds he uses and get any reloading data for you if you're interested. PM me if so.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not sure what boolit to use but I would like to say that is the nicest Handi
    I have seen
    what did you do to the stock and did you have the metal re-blued
    very nice

i have to agree - nice wood !
    so far i have tried the rcbs and the lee 250-ish grainers , both are non checked designs ( i'm really fond of the speer 235 j-words in this caliber btw ) i'm sure the comparable lyman design is much the same , ie; decent if held within the velocity/hardness limitations , i recently received a few various cast ( with gas checks to try out ) havent worked up a load yet ( soz ) while i agree that a heavier boolit has more energy the 250 grainer has considerable more thump than a 30-30 with 170-200 grainers and both of those work well for deer , for short range the 250 grainers aren't to be sneezed at and offer at least as much punch as the venerable 38-55 and win 375 ,and many many deer, elk etc have fallen to less , sadly gas checked designs in 250 or so grains are rare sans custom jobs ( nice boolit rob !! wanna sell/trade for a few as cast ?) worse my two 375's seem to prefer the upper velocity spectrum - something that isnt conducive to cast loads [bummer] but i'm eagerly going to watch this thread !!!

The JSJ is a stub job useing a Shilen barrel.
    It started like this. Yes I blued it.

Boolit Master

Hey I was just about to start an encore bbl that way to avoid welding. Thinking about marketing them in odd calibers. If I run into problems, would you care if I contacted you on it?

sure no problem.