RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Very Light slug loads needed

Very Light slug loads needed

I am looking for some help on casting 12 guage slugs (on the cheap) and light, low recoil loads that cycle in a Remington 11/87. Let's start here: I have been casting pistol bullets for years. I know how to cast but my alloy is pretty limited to wheel weights. I have reloaded 12 guage shot with a MEC jr. I don't do much of it any more because I don't shoot much trap.
    So here is the scenario: I now use my smooth bore barreled 11/87 for 3Gun competitions. For some reason, the local club wants to shoot a lot of stages with slugs (50 yards max distance). I have tried reduced recoil slugs from Remington and they work great. They cycle in the gun, accuracy is good, and the reduced recoil makes for faster follow-up shots. However, THEY AIN'T CHEAP!!!! I though about trying the Lee 7/8 once mold but I read that it is designed for rifled barrels. Is that true? Can someone recommend a mold and a light charge to help me get pointed in the right direction?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Boolit Buddy
    U can use the 7/8oz slug in a non rifled gun, I think that it was designed for the smooth bore gun. there is a few recipies on the info given with the mold but u can get it from lee in PDF.

what I do. is take the winchester bulk pack of trap/light hunting shot loads from at wallmart,
    carefully unload the crimp and emptie the shot. cast and insert the slug(7/8oz is what I have)
    with a few cards to take up space in the shot cup. recrimp.
    these work great in my older 1100. I can get a 2-3in at 50yds. w/IC choke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
    U can use the 7/8oz slug in a non rifled gun, I think that it was designed for the smooth bore gun. there is a few recipies on the info given with the mold but u can get it from lee in PDF.

what I do. is take the winchester bulk pack of trap/light hunting shot loads from at wallmart,
    carefully unload the crimp and emptie the shot. cast and insert the slug(7/8oz is what I have)
    id go for the 1oz and do the same as ^

I would never have thought of that. Good idea. So which has lighter recoil, 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce?

I got the impression that the slug works only in rifled barrels from Lee's website:
    Cut and pasted.

Load slugs for less than standard trap loads. The Lee DRIVE KEY (patent rights reserved) slug is loaded in standard trap hull with standard wad and conventional folded crimp. Slug loads are produced with any standard shot shell reloading press.

Lee Slug Mold features the exclusive drive key. The drive key positively rotates the slug in rifled shotgun barrels. The key doubles as a support rib allowing use of a standard trap wad - no need for a support wad or base filler. Sabot wad design outperforms rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels. Velocity and accuracy meet and exceed expensive factory loaded rifled slugs. Molds feature self centering automatic core pins for maximum speed and convenience. Mold is complete with sprue plate, handles and complete instructions with suggested loads. Best of all, they're priced at what
    others charge for handles alone!

If I don't need a rifled barrel, great.
    Thanks for the help,
    Mark

Boolit Buddy
    ok, I see your confusion. well it worked for me what ever happened. I only have used the 7/8oz cause thats what they had in stock at the gun shop at the time, I was looking for a quick setup that week end and I went with that. I hope to get the 1oz later, but im kinda impressed with this so far.
    I will say, im assuming ur race setup has a full length barrel, these loads will most likely perform better in yours than mine would. I have a shorter barrel and it needs all it can get from the gas pressure to function properly ie. more back pressure.
    I am also immensely jealous that u folks can have have higher capacity magazines, were only aloud to have 5rounds in the gun... but that a different story

In Remembrance

I have shot the LEE 7/8 and the 1 oz slugs with equal results thru my Mossberg smooth bore shotgun. Here is a link to the thread, your results may vary. If nothing else I have fun with them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=85461

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I have been dumping the shot and replacing with .685 RB for years in the Winchester game loads.
    Gives excellent penetration on Tough crocadile neck armor at 10 feet and less.
    Cannot say it will equal the accuracy of the Lee 7/8 slug but will outpenetrtate it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

im assuming ur race setup has a full length barrel, these loads will most likely perform better in yours than mine would...

... I am also immensely jealous that u folks can have have higher capacity magazines, were only aloud to have 5rounds in the gun... but that a different story
    Race set-up?!?!? I am not that guy! The 11/87 is my Turkey gun with a magazine extension. 3 gun is all about fun for me (and trying to beat my buddy who is that guy!). As for magazine capacity, that's a hot topic in my state.

Thanks again all for links and help. I think I will try the 7/8 ounce slug.

Mark

Boolit Master
    If I were using the 7/8 oz slugs, there is data for light 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads out there. Alliant for years had 1200 fps recipes as well as 24 and 28 gram international data. I say this because the 11/87 may not work well with 7/8 @ 1200 fps since pressure is usually in the 7000-7500 range and usually most guns will not cycle such a light load. It SHOULD cycle the international loads since those payloads are in the 1325-1350 fps range and that should give enough punch to cycle your action. This is one you will likely have to go by trial and error.

Warning --- you say you mainly cast with WW alloy --- some have been recomendin Lee slug molds --- Lee slug mold + WW alloy = Pain In The **** --- to cast with that is --- slug like to stick to pin

Choose either Lee slug mold + soft purish lead --- or --- RB and any alloy you want --- 690 RB mold from Lee cheap and easy just put inside wad on 1-1/8 load instead of shot with your choice powder --- Clays work good --- 68 caliber ball at 0.01 smaller beter choice but much harder to find ball mold that size and usually more expensive

Boolit Buddy
    if u want some lead for cheap, try making some friends with some roofers. they typically get a fare amount from jobs and u might be able to get it cheap from them if u barter for a deal, like some drinks or a case of beer.ect..

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee 7/8 oz with no issues. First, totally degrease with acetone, then smoke the mold interior. Run it hot for best fill. I've been using 700x & grey Win wad (7/8 oz cup), start with 15 grains & work up until the gun cycles.