Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: lyman 311332

Boolit Man

lyman 311332

just bought a 1903a3 2 groove smith carona and was wondering if this boolit would work well in it. would also like to try it in my corn binder garand. any load data or recomendations for either rifle would be much apreciated.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    My friend the '03 guy uses that bullet over 28gr H322 in his '03s. He also uses 29gr H322 under the 311284. These were some of his silhouette loads, so were used to 500m with excellent results.

I gave him some Saeco #315 to try, and they worked very well over 22gr AA5744 to at least 385m.

As always, you may need to adjust the loads up or down depending upon powder lot, commercial vs military cases, etc.

Some of his '03s are 2 groove and some 4, but all seem to be cast bullet friendly. Once all of the layers of copper and carbon are out, they usually shoot well.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The closest I have for that is using the 311334 and eleven grains of Unique in an 06 case . It works real well on my 03 and A3 not meant for very high velocity stuff though , not sure if your lighter 332 design would give the same results . I do know that if the nose fits well , it will drive them into one hole at forty yards with my load .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    just bought a 1903a3 2 groove smith carona and was wondering if this boolit would work well in it. would also like to try it in my corn binder garand. any load data or recomendations for either rifle would be much apreciated.
    The 311332 cast bullet should shoot fine in your rifles. Quick road to success with that bullet in both rifles will be to size them at .311 if possible. Use a GC with a good lube (I recommend Javelina or Lars 50/50 Alox/beeswax lubes) and load over 28 gr of 4895 (any flavor) with a 3/4 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1/2 gr increments of 4895 until accuracy goes south in the '03A3 and until functioning is reliable in the M1. A good, accurate load for both should be found in the 1850 - 1950 fps range if you want the ammo to be used in both rifles. If you've cases for both rifles then neck sizsing for the bolt action will be better there.

When you get the hang of loading for both and then might want to push performance (velocity) up a bit with that cast bullet switch to a slower burning powder such as RL19, AA4350 or H4831SC. Start at the charge weight of 4895 you are using and increase in 1 gr increments until accuracy goes farther south than you find useable. This will be in the 38 - 42 gr weight depending on the powder used and the alloy and hardness of the bullet. The dacron filler will not be necessary if loading density is 80% or more. Test for accuracy at a minimum of 100 yards.

Larry Gibson

I cast and load the Lyman 311332 in a Garand and 3 bolt rifles. First the boolit, I cast them out of w-ws, they drop at 186.5-187.3gr, sized to .310, lube is Lyman Orange Magic. The bolt gun load is 23gr. of IMR 4227 with a small tuft of Dacron on top, Rem cases, seated to 3.275 OAL, with a taper crimp. Primers are old Alcans I have laying around, when they run out I'll switch to Rem. 9 1/2 std. In my best 06' bolt gun 100yd. groups run between 1-1.5" off the bench with consistancy.

I just recently started using cast in the Garand, (I'm still in the experimental stage). For the Garand, I run the same boolit/lube, but heat-treated in Rem cases, Rem. 9 1/2 std. primers, and 41gr. of IMR 4831. I've been running the length with about 1/16" clearance for the Garand. The load cycles the M1 and stacks the empties neatly about 3-4' behind me with no leading issues. Accuracy is good, (better than I expected) with 3-4" groups comon at 100yds.

The 311332 has proved a good boolit for me over the past 20 or so years in several 06's, a couple of Krags, and several .308s.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    For 100 yards out of my 4 groove 1903 I use 311332 cast from air cooled WW +2% Tin over 14 grains of green dot. Cases neck sized only, boolits sized .309 with carnauba red (barrel was practically new on this rifle) cartridge OAL 3.330". Need to set the sights around 600 yards at 100.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Le Loup Solitaire

311332 in the 03A3

It has often been pointed out that Lyman 311334 will work well in two groove barrels usually found on the A3. This is because it has a long nose and a relatively short bulet body. Most of the circumference in a 2 groove barrel is "lands" and they do a good job of positively guiding the long nose. The same applies in the 5 groove barrels of the 1917. Why Lyman ever dropped the production of 334 is one of the mysteries of the past century, as well as a large number of other good molds. The 311332 is a pretty close copy of the 334, but for it to shoot well it must have the proper dimensions....namely a bullet body diameter of no smaller than .309 (.310 would be better) and the nose section diameter has to be no smaller than .301 (.302 is probably better). Using a wrongly dimensioned bullet that is undersize results in it being knocked off its long(itudinal) axis and it goes down the barrel in a tilted posture and continues to go spinning cockeyed down range. Correct bullet fit is therefore very important. If you get sold a mold that is undersized, either get involved in lapping it out or send it back to its maker. It will not produce bullets that shoot as well as bullets that properly fit the bore. LLS

Anyone try this in a Savage 99 in 300 Savage? Shank looks to be good in the short neck. Is nose too long?
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

I don't have a 99, or anything in .300SAV, but here's the dimensions of the 311332 boolit with a gas check installed; OAL-1.136" From base to upper-top grease groove-.480".
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Thank you sir. That gives me something to go on.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    mustanggt,
    You might want to try the Lee designs in your .300 Savage. The C309-150F was a good fit in mine. They all seem to share the same shank, but differ in nose length and shape.

Excess650, does it drop at 309 or bigger?

I have the 150F and 200R that both drop at .311". The 200gr is .300"-.301" on the nose, and the 150gr is closer to .302" on the nose. My 150F weighs 160gr with GC. The 160R, and 170F should both work. The RCBS and Saeco 165gr silhouette molds would also be worth trying.

My .300 is an early to mid 20s takedown, and very tight with .308" bore and .309" throat. My mid 30s 30-30 has a larger groove and throat.

My 99 is 1945 or 46. It has 3/28/45 on the buttstock under the buttplate. I don't know if there would be any difference because of them being over 20 years apart and tooling differences in that time. I will hunt one of those down and give it a try. Thanks for your replies.

I know this is a old post. I like to know if anyone would know if this boolit would cycle in a DPMS LR-308. I know that nose of the boolit have to be right. I got the Lee C312-155-2R will cycle good in it. Thank you in advance.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

It will be all about port pressure in your LR 308. Getting gas guns to function with accuracy is often a compromise. The heavier the bullet, the more likely you are to succeed wthout exceeding the velocity limit of your alloy and lube.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    It will be all about port pressure in your LR 308. Getting gas guns to function with accuracy is often a compromise. The heavier the bullet, the more likely you are to succeed wthout exceeding the velocity limit of your alloy and lube.
    Thank you for your help and explain it to me.

Boolit Buddy

Trapper,
    Lyman AR Reloading shows it.
    I started working with it in my M1A last fall.Cycled fine in it as well as the 300AAC(with feed ramp polished).O.A.L, shown @2.705 BC.320 SD.271.
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I know this is a old post. I like to know if anyone would know if this boolit would cycle in a DPMS LR-308. I know that nose of the boolit have to be right. I got the Lee C312-155-2R will cycle good in it. Thank you in advance.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    Trapper,
    Lyman AR Reloading shows it.
    I started working with it in my M1A last fall.Cycled fine in it as well as the 300AAC(with feed ramp polished).O.A.L, shown @2.705 BC.320 SD.271.
    Thanks alot Buckeye I will have to look into getting that one manual then.I have the the others of Lyman but did not know about that one.

I will be picking up the mold and the manual the end of this week. Beside the top punch. Thanks for your help.