MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: End of the line for IMR 4756

Boolit Mold

End of the line for IMR 4756

I contacted Hodgson's the other day and was told the rumour mill was correct in that they will no longer be distributing

I'm thinking of replacing my favourite powder with Herco. Does anyone have a comment on Herco in the 45/70 and .444 marlin

These are my two favourite cast performers. How does it meter through a powder measure??? This is a very important question

Boolit Master
    The big thing about SR 7625, SR 4756 and SR 4759 powders is they are all single base. Very clean. The only other single base powders I know of is the Vihtavuori 100 and 300 series. Maybe N-350. I have been keeping an eye out for that and N-105.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    ive been using herco for a couple years now . I bought 7 lb of it on a whim a couple years ago 70% off at a going out of business sale at a local shop, and im glad I did .I don't know about it for 444 marlin or 45/70 , I use it for 357 mag ,40 s&w,44 mag and my 35 marlin with great results. ive tried it for 45 acp and 9mm also, 9mm was ok but I like my bluedot load better the only thing ive used it in that I didn't like was 45 acp. I loaded up some 444 marlin converted to 410 brass with it the other day but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet . I also plan on trying it for 45 colt in my opinion its a great powder . I heard about the powders that hodgdon /imr is dropping I ran across 4 lb of 4756 the other day and grabbed it up the 1 that disappoints me the most on the go away list is pb im trying to stockpile as much of that as possible got about 5 lb so far .

4756 is my go to powder for 44 , 357 ,shotgun i love that powder , such a shame to see it go , i decided it was time to look for a replacement instead of trying to scrounge up any scraps of a dying powder though. I always felt like it could have given unique a run for its money in the, "one powder if that's all you got category for everything ".... Maybe something will give at the Canadian powder plant if they see it sells and people request it..

Boolit Grand Master

Have you considered Varget out of the 45/70? That's what I've been using out of my Marlin 1895GS lately and find it performs admirably.

Banned

herco is a click slower than unique so it does everything unique does 'only slower' it takes about 1 more grain to achieve the same pressure as unique does in the handgun cases.
    I really like it in stuff like the 357 and the 44 mag.
    it's a smaller flake size than unique is too so it meters better,,,, and it isn't cold sensitive.
    I keep herco on hand and won't pass it up if I see a jug of it.

Boolit Master

My LGS had 4759 in stock today. I've never used it but picked up a pound 'just because'.

From the one I get most of my things from I was able to 8# of SR 4756.So I am good to go for some time now.That is not counting the little I do have on hand,When I first hear about what they will do about that powder and others I was on the look out for it and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA