MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Accuracy from a .250 Savage

Boolit Bub

No Accuracy from a .250 Savage

I'm having a problem with my Savage bolt-action in .250-3000, and I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions. I just fitted a new Shilen barrel (1-10" twist) on this rifle, and I've been getting pretty decent accuracy with J-word bullets (0.75" to 1.5" at 100). I just picked up a new RCBS 120 grain 2-cavity GC mould, and I cast a bunch of really nice looking boolits with it. I fitted the gas checks and sized them to .258" (the bore measures .257," right on spec) before I lubed with my time-proven home recipe.

When I went to test fire them, I wasn't getting any hits on the target at 100, so I moved to the 25. Let's just say I would have gotten better accuracy if I'd have thrown the boolits downrange. The best grouping I got was about 8 inches at 25 yards! Now, I'm no veteran of cast boolit shooting, but I've been getting great results from other cartridges and similar loading practices, so I'm wondering if maybe I missed some fundamental issue that gave me shotgun patterns instead of rifle groupings. The lube worked great; not a sign of leading anywhere. The lead was water dropped WW, so would they be too soft? I was only pushing them between 2100 to 2700 fps for this test, and no velocity gave any decent results. Any ideas?
    When I die, I want people to look at my coffin and say: "He sure owed me a lot of money."

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    What is the largest diameter of boolit you can seat into the gun, within a neck sized case? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Try loading some at 1600 to 1800 fps range and see how they shoot. You didn't mention what powder you were using in your tests. I would suggest trying some powders of medium to slow burning rates and see what you get.

Boolit Master

First clean the barrel of all jacketed bullet debris, then let it sit a day or two then clean it again just to get rid of the rest of the jacketed bullet leavings.

THEN

go with what GBertolet said, or possibly even slower yet.

Once you get something in the lower velocity range to be accurate then you can creep up on toward higher velocities, though I doubt you get to the previously stated velocities unless you have really good lube and hard boolits.

Never saw a mention of powder type or amount, what are you using?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In Remebrance

Traditionally the 250's twist rate doens't permit the use of 120's. Between fit and twist you may not find joy with this combination.

+1 on Bret's comment. You don't indicate the twist rate of your barrel but if it is not 1:9 or 1:10 it won't stabilize cast 120s and may not stabilize jacketed 120gr bullets.

Boolit Master
    In 257 Roberts A/Imp with 1/10 twist, 120 grain jacketed Hornady H.P.'s show a sharp reduction in accuracy from shorter bullets like the 115 NP. The Hornadys are long for weight bullets. Just can't push them quite fast enough even in the improved Roberts to get great accuracy. A long cast bullet of the same weight at slower speed in the same twist will likely not stabilize as mentioned before. Look for a 100 grain or lower weight mould for your Savage.

He does state it's a new Shillen 1-10" twist rate.

Since you say between 2,100 and 2,700 fps. I'd wonder if you are simply running to fast.
    Try a laod at 1,900 fps first. Something like 22 grains of 4895.

In Remebrance

" I was only pushing them between 2100 to 2700 fps for this test, and no velocity gave any decent results. Any ideas? "

WHOA!!! Missed that entirely. I think I see another part of your problem!

Reloaders' Reference by Wiljen

Reloaders Reference by Wiljen

There is a free download data base with plenty of 250 Savage loads.

Boolit Master

My favorite caliber. Seriously doubt it will ever work, send it my way and ill take care of it. Trade you straight across for a red ryder. Seriously though, .250 Savages typically love slower powders. I also didnt see what boolit you were using. When you let us know boolit and loads, Ill give you some of the data I have worked up to and you can see if it works for you.

"I was only pushing them between 2100 to 2700 fps for this test, and no velocity gave any decent results. Any ideas? "

Jeeze..No wonder you couldn't hit anything. Slow down..way down!

Boolit Master
    Erik--You didn't say what powder you used, but I suggest you try 13 to 14g of 4759 or 5744 with the RCBS 120. As others have said, you are driving them too fast regardless of the powder being used!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll pile on too--slower would be better.

My own 250 Savage experience is with a Savage 99 lever rifle with 1-14" twist rate, so it differs a bit from your bolter. It is a stone TACKDRIVER with 100 grain jacketed spitzers of any make, given enough WW-760 to prompt 2650-2700 FPS from its 24" barrel. It will shoot as well as I can use aperture iron sights at 100 yards, about 1.25"/5 shots.

Slowing things down markedly for the castings, I use an NEI 110 grain spire point bore-rider @ .258" with 12.0-13.0 grains of Alliant 2400, and get similar groups at 100 yards--1.25"-1.50". Velocity is around 1650-1800 FPS.

All the velocity on earth ain't worth a hill of excrement if the boolits don't fly true.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    My 99 with 1-14 twist won't stabilize any 100 gr except the shortest [Speer] and the now extinct 100gr KKSP by Dominion [Canada] cloverleafed at 100 yards.[30gr IMR 3031] I'm crankin 41gr Win-760 and 100g Sierra's out of my Rem 700 Classic in .250 1-10"..........Harold

Boolit Master
    Pioneer2: My 1/14 rifle is like yours. I can shoot 100 Speers and I'm also going to try Remington flat base and see what happens. All other makes are a bust though, rarely making a 5" group. 87 grain Sierras shoot 3/4" groups time after time. Would like to find a tougher constructed 87 grainer though.

I also have a 1 in 14 250-3000 savage . It shot well with rem factory 100 gr ammo , I have yet to get great results with hornady 100's good to know that speers are the shortest will try them next if the hornady's don't pan out , Anyone know of a good short bullet that will shoot well in the 1 in 14 twist barrels yet still have enough " toughness" to hold together on deer ?

I have been playing around a bit with PP cast 100's in this rifle but with no success , This particular rifle may be the catalyst to start swaging my own bullets , some sort of short 90gr or less partition style bullet comes to mind

Boolit Master

interesting....my Rem 722 in 257Roberts at 1:10 shoots very well with 87 gr to 120 gr J-s....MOA at 100yds

your 250-3000 with 120 gr cast should stabalize but I agree with the above that your velocity is to high....
    If you are looking for close to full power loads for cast then try IMR 4895 or Win 748....
    atr

Boolit Master
    A few years back before I started casting I had a Savage 250-3000 Model 99 and it would not shoot anything over 100 grains. Using the 120's, if I hit the target at all at 100, the bullets would often keyhole.
    Consequently,I stuck with 100 and 87 gr bullets and they shot very well and made a lot of venison for our freezer.
    When that Model 99 became too valuable to take into the field, I sold it and bought a T/C Encore and a Custom Shop barrel in 250-3000 (I do love that caliber). It shoots the 120 bullets very well but I still use 100 grainers.
    The problem was the twist in the Model 99 not stabilizing the heavier bullets and that may be true with your Savage bolt action.

Boolit Master

Erik, you didn't mention the alloy you are using. It could be that pushing the boolits so hard to get the velocities you got, you overcame the strength of the boolit. There are threads somewhere around here, and the Lee reloading book has a chart.

So.

What alloy are you using?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast