Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30/30 BP loads ?

Boolit Grand Master

When I started I was given a tong tool and a cigar box of 47-70 brass that was all baloon head, a cut off case for a measure and an old military 500 gr bullet mould. This with old Dupont powder made perfect ammo for the old trapdoor carbine. It sure was simple then!

Smile

Yes indeed, life was much simpler then........like stepping back in time. Neat!

In order to relive a little history myself, I picked up a Winchester .44 W.C.F. loading tool a few years ago along with a Winchester bullet mold. I have used it to load b.p. cartridges for my vintage 1873 Winchester possibly just as its original owner possibly did back in 1882.

It's funny how life changes things. In my school days, my absolute worst subject was History, but today I can't seem to get enough when it comes to cartridges and the firearms that used them.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 09-21-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

floodgate,

I did some checking and find that I have two UMC headstamped .44 CLMR catridges but have'nt dissected them. According to UMC, they are loaded with 40 grs. of b.p. In comparing them with UMC .44-40 catridges, the only difference I can detect is the headstamp.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

NickSS,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with black powder and the .30-30.
    Interesting.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Smile

Thought I would bring this thread back to the top since it has lots of good info for those who may have missed it the first time around.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

This thread has been a very interesting read. I have always thought the 32 special got the short end compared to the 30-30 and felt it was due to the rifling. I suspect that Winc did not want to tool up to a better rifling as they had setups for the 32-40. Always felt that the 32 would have been great with a heavier bullet like the 190 gra cast I shoot in the 30-30. One thing I would point out is that fouling problems are a matter of use. In the field 4-5 shots are all thats needed before cleaning. Most of the local old time 30-30 users only load 4 rounds in their rifles. Kind of consider full magazines go with rookies. May have been different when guns were left loaded and not always loaded and then unloaded. Prevents nose smashing and is all thats needed. I have to experiment with my 45 and BP more.

Northmn

I'm not sure if the rifling twist has been brought up or not, the old .32s used a 1:14-1:16 twist where as the .30WCF uses a 1:12, (also deeper). This may be a factor in loading Holy Black given the faster twist, it's bound to foul quickly in my opinion, then again, I've never tried loading black powder in a .30WCF.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Marlin lever action 1887-1895 30-30 cal smokeless steel rifle in excellent condition can I use smokeless powder in it

Boolit Master
    the .30-30 was not intended to shoot b-p. that is why the .32spl. was made because a lot of people still reloaded with b-p. the later .32 spl. were made for smokless. i have one that has the smokless rear sight on it and it is even marked for smokless and the barrel is marked nickle steel.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Kirby, never tried black powder for 30-30 reloads. But if you have any or want to try it - Triple Seven
    Here is an approved loading data from Hodgdon Powders that I tried once. It was accurate @ 100yds (1 - 2" benchrest) but the recoil about tore my face off!
    Mr Hodgdon: If H777 is not recommended for a 30/30 case, why then is there a recipe on your website for a 160gr Cast LRN at http://www.hodgdon.com/data/triplese...dge-2f.php#top ? My intention was to use a 165gr cast RNFP bullet using 40gr vol of H777.
    OK, now I look like quite the idiot. I discussed it with our black powder gurus here, and they agreed that it is not a good idea, that said the folks in the lab shot it, and it worked ok. So I guess it would be fine.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

Check the gunshows and pawnshops for Winchester rifles chambered in .32 Winchester Special. I still see them from time to time.

personally i cant see a thing wrong with bp in a 30-30 win. specially if a person used a duplex load with imr 4227 as the 10% smokless and the rest of the case filled with bp of the 2 or 3 f variety. i can hear the huffs about the suggestion of a duplex load but the clean way it burns in the barrel and the fun factor is still an option in my book. never throw out any angles without turnin it over in yer mind fer awhile. let us know how your experiment goes...please

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12