RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavily Leaded Barrel, how do I clean it?

mercury if used with proper precautions is harmless - only hazardous if ingested or vapors inhaled - can be reused over again - proper disposal required -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smell_of_Cedar View Post
    The breech plug is permanently affixed on this .50 cal caplock, and the bore is leaded.

I tried Hoppes #9 for various amounts of time, and scrubbed with a patch. No lead.

A .50 cal brush I fear will not come out, because the bristles will fold over when being rammed in, and then cannot be yanked back out.

Ideas?

Thank You
    If you ever get a brush stuck in bore, try putting a tube down the barrel that slips over the brush.Then screw you rod back on brush and pull it out through the tube.

0000# steel wool. I believe Lee Shaver uses it too. Is used to put the final polish on bluing after hot, Belgian and slow rust blue. I've used a bit wrapped around patching to remove lead from my match grade rifles leaded out from bad wiping technique.

learned this trick from the BPRC fellers.

Take a heavy cloth patch and soak it in pine spirits [ turpentine ]. Take your heavy saturated patch and slather the bore with the terp. Allaow it to set soaking in the barrel for 1/2 hour. Now take as tight a patch combo as will go down the barrel freely and scrub it three or four times up and down the barrel. Repeat this five times before examining your bore.

This is an easy on your barrel system and it removes lead from your barrel lickitty split.

Never use any steel or metal brush in a leaded barrel as it tends to wear away portions of the barrel in spots as it attacks the lead …. Not good for a barrel at all

AFTER getting the lead removed COMPLETELY then begin your scotchbright patch’s up and down to smooth a rough bore or pitted bore for a smooth barrel.

The use of Turpentine has worked for a very long time and will continue to work for a longer time. Just have patients and repeat till ALL the lead is out of the barrel. Then oil it back for a nice restored bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smell_of_Cedar View Post
    The breech plug is permanently affixed on this .50 cal caplock, and the bore is leaded.

I tried Hoppes #9 for various amounts of time, and scrubbed with a patch. No lead.

A .50 cal brush I fear will not come out, because the bristles will fold over when being rammed in, and then cannot be yanked back out.

Ideas?

Thank You
    I use BoreTeck Eliminator, wet a patch and run down barrel, let soak for 5 minutes, then a wet patch, run down barrel, let soak for 5 minutes, lead has a tendency to just fall out.. When wet Brush with a nylon brush, about 10 strokes.. If some remains just do all over again.. Then dry patch and oil... BoreTeck will dissolve a brass or bronze brush in just a fer minutes..

Mercury is good. It's a bit of alchemy. As mentioned earlier, it's ok as long as it's 'outside' your body. I've stuck my whole hand in a vat of the stuff way back in ancient times when schools were schools. Don't do this if you have a cut, by the way, and you're not me, so I'd advise gloves. As long as you're careful with it and know what is ok and not ok to do, it's fine.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12