Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: What bottom pour furnace are you using?

Voters
479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee

306 63.88%
  • Lyman

61 12.73%
  • RCBS

91 19.00%
  • Other

55 11.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Bottom Pour Furnace Do You Use?

Boolit Mold

What Bottom Pour Furnace Do You Use?

I have three Lee furnaces and they seem to do a great job. I was wondering if the investment in a Lyman or RCBS would be worth it. Just wondering what brand most of you are using.

Boolit Master

I don't use a bottom pour.
    I have found I can do everything
    better by ladle casting. Always have good fill-out.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I have three of the RCBS 10 kilo pots. I used to hand cast boolits for IPSC shooters for years.

I burned thru Lee and Lyman pots fairly quickly in the early years and replaced them with the RCBS pots. Also have an Ohio Thermal Pot which is the same as RCBS except it is grey and and black, not green. RCBS bought Ohio Thermal.

RCBS equipment is pricey, but is the best available.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Grand Master

I have two RCBS pots. I am VERY satisfied with them.

Dale53

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The Lee pots are good for getting your feet wet but will not hold up. They also have a rheostat that will not give you the same temp each time. The RCBS has a real thermostat and will last for many years with carefree service. I had to work on my Lee's every day they were used.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man
    I have a Lee that is used only to melt/clean wheel weights, an old Lyman Mouldmaster that is used for casting bullets and a (really) old Potter that I use for pure lead for swaging cores

I have a pair of Lee 4-20s and am satisfied with them. I only cast moderate quantities of bullets for myself. I always use a good thermometer. I ladle cast a few of my larger, lower volume rifle bullet designs from the same pots.

If I was going to cast commercially I'd probably go with something more robust.

-ktw

of your listed choices I have an RCBS and an additional SEACO - both 20+ pound pots. I have friends with smaller Lee pots and find them usable but not for use with 4 - 6 cavity molds.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

i got a lyman mag 20 from fleecebay for $130. It took a long time for this dumb dipper caster to learn how to use it. I'm pretty happy with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Man

I use a Lyman Mag 20. I'm Pretty happy with it.

Boolit Master
    "Just wondering what brand most of you are using."

Perhaps the more useful question would be "What pot would you prefer?"

Boolit Buddy

which pot ??

My dad started me out with a Lee production Pot. I soon upgraded to a Saeco, then to a Lyman Mag 20. After rebuilding the Mag 20 four times I moved up to an RCBS Pro Melt. I,ve had to repair the RCBS twice but the warranty covered the cost. The Mag 20 is on the shelf just in case the RCBS ever dies and the company goes out of business, or I can't find another RCBS.
    If I had it to do all over again... the RCBS !!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info guys. I have always heard that the RCBS furnace is the one to get. I guess I will have to start saving up for one.

Boolit Master
    When I was new to casting I started with the Lee. I wrecked it prematurely with a corrosive flux. Stepped up to the RCBS when IRS refund came. From a Chevy to a Cadillac.
    Last edited by wallenba; 09-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am VERY happy with the RCBS furnace I now use. It is among my best reloading tools, period.

I used two Lee bottom-pours before finding the RCBS furnace, and they were capable, usable tools. Not top-drawer, but not bad either. Like most Lee tools, they need a bit of "owner engineering" or construction completion before being at their best. Given their price point, that is an acceptable trade-off. At the price of an RCBS furnace--it better be first-rate right from the box, and remain trouble-free for one very long time. Mine has been.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my RCBS. Had it about 20 years and it is still working great. Have a Lee too but haven't used it in years, too drippy.

Boolit Master
    I have use Lee BP's for about 25 years, have three, two tens and a twenty. One ten is dead need to check it out one day. I have now problems with the other two. I use a ten to feed mjy twenty therefore the temp in the casting pot, that being the twenty, dosen't drop any appreciable amount.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Got a Lee with PID, Lyman Mold Master, and RCBS. Like em all. Use the RCBS most.

I use a RCBS ProMelt purchased new about 1975. It has worked without problem ever since. It has not been used heavily- probably melted under 1,000 lbs of metal, almost all wheelweights. But it's nice to have something you don't have to repair or fiddle with to keep it working. I am kind of shocked by what a new one costs but I guess what I paid back in the 70's was a lot then too. But if you buy it once and it last 35+ years, it's not expensive.

Boolit Master

RCBS, Lyman, Magma

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast