WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Within tolerance ?

Within tolerance ?

Hi folks:

I'm getting down to the last details preparing to place an order with BACO for loading components.

The boolit will be the 535 grain postel----------remington cases-----------and goex express-----------

As a final check i carefully slugged the barrel both ends to nail down the bore measurements to select the best boolit diameter---------- these are the results.

0.4505 bore-------0.04557 groove

Seems a bit shallow ? i slugged it twice and get the same result---the mic zero's on the 0.5 jo block.

the questions are------------is this common ?----------should i be concerned ?

It seems i need to order a 0.457 boolit to get close to the 0.001 over bore recomendations for a first try at boolit diameter.

Perhaps it would give me a size down option to order 0.458 od

pics attached

thanks in advance for helping

dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT5563.jpg   PICT5559.jpg   PICT5561.jpg  

Wups i'm speeding a little------------------1995, 1874 sharps sporter 30 "from the "i think i got lucky thread"

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Probably just size the greasers at .458 and never look back..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

My Rolling Block is .450 / .455 and I feed it .459 and even .460 with good results. By good, I mean 2" or less at 100 with open sights. My alloy is 40:1 using Lyman's 457125

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    The Only way to get a proper correct grove size requires a special 3 prong setup. or so I have been told. Pin Gauges are the best way according to folks that do this stuff down to the knats ass.

Shiloh will tell you flat out size to .458 and your good to go. I know your an enginer type, I work with them all the time, you can tell em, but you cant tell em much, the majority of the time. If you over think this stuff you will just drive yourself crazy.

I size my GG bullets to .458 for my rifles in 45 caliber, my Paper Patch loads are .4495 for my Heavy barrel rifle and .451 for my LR Express with #1 Heavy.

My Hand loads from above have won A National Championship, set World and National Records. With over a Dozen Gold medals from 800 to 1000 yards.

The most important thing you have to learn is to assemble consistant ammo, then learn to grip the sharps with consistant pressure and cheek the rifle the same, or you won't ever shoot anything near decent groups. These rifles torque, with heavy slugs.

Your statements bout wanting only a 500 gr bullet, show me one thing your trying to tell the rifle what you want it to shoot, instead, you should be letting the rifle tell you what it will shoot.

The above advice is free, and I hope you take it, otherwise your in for a long long learning curve.

The Lunger
    KW

Boolit Master
    +1 to what Kenny said he really knows his stuff. It took me a long time to learn what Kenny said so pay attention its good advice.

Hi folks:

Again thanks for the feedback !!!!!!!!!! it is appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks mr wasserburger-----------------i am indeed heeding the advice of the most experienced folks that have mastered this sport.

I am clearing these questions early so that i can become a good shooter-----------its only sensible to control those variables of mechanical fit so that the hardware is better at its job than the user -------------- the shooter can then focus on---- grips, cheek pressure, torque control and all the other things can be are managaged by the shooter without second guessing the equipement.

I'm certainly not set on bullet type or weight----------the postell seems a logical choice to being with.

For what its worth----------i agree that a lot of nearsighted engineers exist -----------this one listens and learn and pays as much attention to the people as he does to the numbers----------people do stuff after all numbers just sit there..

orders are going out today

have a great weekend

dave

Hey sharpshooter-----------thanks for the dimensional feedback----------i was concerned that the tight groove dimension might cause a pressure difficulty---------evidently not.

I wonder what effect the shallow grooves might have when i try to develope a paper patch load ?

Mr wasserburger----is there something i can read that will help me understand torque control--------torque is completely understandable with heavy slugs----------i haven't heard anyone else comment on that variable----THANKs

heading for the bay to do some fishin

dave

the old rifles had shallow rifling and were made to shoot pp
    as to torque , hold tight and pull into the shoulder firmly and ride with it, right handed it torques away , the pistol grip will help in holding it quite a bit.
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Powderburner---its nice to know this barrel might be friendly for paper patching ,thanks for the feedback-----------concerning torque control -----i'm sure its a consistancy thing------just like the proper grip on a bow for consistant arrow flight.

I the sharps the torque must be pretty significant with respect to muzzle position, and certainly in a way that negatively effects accuracy.

i'll do my best to find a consistant grip.

again thanks