Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Overheating threat from excessive shooting?

Boolit Master

Overheating threat from excessive shooting?

I've been wondering about how much fun is too mucn with a large bore rifle. What I mean is, how much shooting vs how much cooling down time.

I just read about a large bore rifle match at a local range that calls for 10 rounds in 60 seconds. Assuming that I was using my 45-70, would I be at risk of overheating my rifle?

Anyone have a "rule of thumb" on how much shooting before a cooling down is required?

Thanks - Randy

Boolit Master
    Most of us would do well to 'shoot out' one rifle barrel in our lifetime. IMHO, unless you're an active competitive shooter, you don't need to worry about barrel heat. You won't be doing many mag dumps with your .45-70; an AR or AK might be another matter.

If the barrel is too hot to wrap your fingers around and hold onto, you need to let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    You cannot hold on to steel that is 140 degrees. From the viewpoint of steel , that is not hot. But the temperature change could affect your POI till the barrel cools or reaches equilibrium.
    One thing that happens is that air is moving across the barrel and cooling the top faster than the lower part covered by wood. It can take a few minutes for all parts to be equal again after a volley.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    I put 20 rounds through my rifle in about 20 minutes, and I thought my barrrel was hot! Bet you could cook on it after 10 in 1 minute.

Boolit Master

10 rounds "Large Bore" in a minute

What target, what distance, what do they consider "Large" bore?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In Remebrance

We rattle 6-19 rounds out our pistols and revolvers in a few seconds. Then we use the same gun on soda cans at 150 yards. No, 10 shots in 60 seconds won't "ruin" your barrel. 500 shots of a very hot load that erodes the throat massively each shot over 2 years can ruin it. Not a certainty, but it can. Your 10 shots isn't even approaching a high power match when you think about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't worry about overheating the barrel and causing damage to it with a calibre like 458, 375, or 30-30 with cast boolits, but I do worry about the barrel getting too warm and the lube on my cast boolits (NRA 50-50) breaking down.

Will a hot barrel cause leading to occur with loads that otherwise do not lead? If so, how hot does the barrel have to get?

It's kind of a moot point anyway since at this time of year up here in Northern Canada barrels don't stay hot very long.

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    You cannot hold on to steel that is 140 degrees. From the viewpoint of steel , that is not hot. But the temperature change could affect your POI till the barrel cools or reaches equilibrium.
    One thing that happens is that air is moving across the barrel and cooling the top faster than the lower part covered by wood. It can take a few minutes for all parts to be equal again after a volley.
    Most barrel manuf will warn against over heating a barrel for best bbl life. If the outside temp is too hot to hold, you should let it cool before continueing. I think less damage is done w/ lead bullets vs jacketed, but the rule fo thumb still applies to my high dollar rifles.

Boolit Master
    I was just saying that if you touch the barrel and it blisters you , that obviously entirely toooo hot. But just being uncomfortable to touch ( maybe I should say " uncomfortable to hold " ) really is not hot.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Keep it Cool for Long Barrel life.

When the round cooks off,( thermally induced firing) you barrel is to HOT.

In Remebrance

Perhaps the best advice is the ancient, "All things in moderation..."

A friend of mine has a Thompson submachine gun that has digested several bushels of cast bullet ammo as well as FMJ. Long strings of firing with cast will leave trace lead in the Cutts Compensator but the barrel does not show leading to the eye or when cleaning. That barrel gets HOT. It is not a target rifle but other than wear expected in an automatic, it shows no damage.