WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro1000 vs Dillon 550/650

I picked up a Hornady LNL last week and it is a nice machine. The only criticism I have is the absolutely horrible instructions that came with it. It was almost like putting together a bbq that I bought at Home Depot years ago, chinese made and horrible translation. I just followed the 12 videos on youtube on how to set it up and prep the machine for use and away I went.

I have run 3500 .38 spl thru it so far and no major hiccups. I left the case feeder off of it so I could compare running the 650 and the LNL side by side with just hand feeding. The 650 was set up for 30-06 so I borrowed my friends caliber conversion kit and tried them out.

The LNL machine was quicker in that you didn't have to do the Dillon wiggle as I call it to insert cases. Pull the handle, lean to the right insert case, lean to the left insert bullet. The LNL was pick up case and bullet with left hand and after pulling the handle you place the case and the bullet on the same side so it saves a bit of time. With the case feeders installed there was no difference at all in speed.

Is the Dillon worth an extra 200.00 + 500 free bullets over the hornady, maybe to some but not to me, personal preference I guess.

As far as the loadmaster goes as long as you do the mods that shadowdog500 on youtube suggests it is almost like a different machine. No missed primers and no back indexing that throws off the primer seating and feeding.

And yes I am still looking for any of the so called pieces of **** loadmasters that people want to throw away, actually I am looking for 2 of them.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post

And yes I am still looking for any of the so called pieces of **** loadmasters that people want to throw away, actually I am looking for 2 of them.
    You could alway's get a snorkel and a big magnet then go swimming at Lloyd's house. LOL Sorry hunter could'nt help that one. FB

Banned

dont know, the bullhead in the pond might not want to part with it and id about bet a dime to a dollar that i could get you loading on one of my good presses and it would take away any thoughts of swimming for that one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    If you are thinking Dillon then look at the Hornady LnL AP as well, its at least as good as the 650 if not better and cheaper too. I love mine.

This link might be of interest:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
    surely, you jest!! having owned 3 dillons including an RL1000, a 550 and a 650 AND a LNL, the LNL was and is a joke. and a very expensive mistake. like comparing a rolls to a kia.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a case of Blueites to me!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I don't believe anyone (at least I won't) will dispute the fact that Dillon is the best reloading press in todays market. And to compare it with either of the Lee progressive presses (again my opinion) is pretty silly. Maybe a LNL, but not having used a new LNL I can't answer that. However, when factoring in the cost of each of the above, the Lee is a viable, if not the, option for many. And regardless of how many have been thrown into lakes, or shot full of holes, they will work and work well. Not everyone can justify the cost of Dillon or Hornady equipment, but can the Lee equipment. To ridicule someones choices simply because you feel your's is better or cost more is just plain rude. Not everyone can afford to drive a cadillac either or wants to for that matter, some choose to drive a Kia because maybe they figure getting there is the goal, not how. I've used both Lee progressive presses (still have a P1000) and am able to keep them running without much trouble, I don't know why others can't, or won't, and don't really care, buy what you think will fit your needs, whichever color that may be, and enjoy reloading for the great hobby it is. Your opinion may vary.

+ 10 !!!!!!!

" To ridicule someones choices simply because you feel your's is better or cost more is just plain rude. "

great post amigo !

Banned

the guy asked for an opinion and i gave him an honest one. One that came from actual use not from words passed down from someone else. If a guy is so sensitive to hearing someone bash what he has he probably should stay away from the internet all together. I know some guys make them work but ill be ****** if i would spend my hard earned money on one. Id rather load single stage for another year and save my change to buy a quality unit. As to dillon vs hornady i have both and have an opinion on which is best too but at least both of them a decent designs. Both have there strenghts and weakness But i would think that if a guy decided to buy a yugo to save some money hed expect to be told by a ford or chev guy that he pissed away his money. I give a brutely honest opinion not to brag on my gear but to keep someone who doesnt know better from wasting a couple hundred bucks.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-12-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    To ridicule someones choices simply because you feel your's is better or cost more is just plain rude. .
    maybe you could show us slow people WHERE ANYONE RIDICULED ANOTHER PARTY BASED ON PRICE ?

all i have seen was based on the poor engineering/poor out put....vs quality out put/factory support and long term investment......

your line is cute and maybe true...just not in this thread.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    maybe you could show us slow people WHERE ANYONE RIDICULED ANOTHER PARTY BASED ON PRICE ?

all i have seen was based on the poor engineering/poor out put....vs quality out put/factory support and long term investment......

your line is cute and maybe true...just not in this thread.

mike in co
    Thats what you got from my reply?

Wow, there's not enough time to read all the posts, so sorry if this is redundant.

If anyone wants to sell their piece of junk 1000, PM me.

Remember: that person you are ticking off is well armed.

(serious about the PM)
    Last edited by 357shooter; 10-11-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    as my sister used to say "ur just rude, crude, and socially unacceptable". thats me! and honest. i WISH i had known about all the malfunctions that *** LNL had in store for me when i bought it, even w/ the 1000 "free" bullets. maybe it was just mine and all the others are like swiss watches. but having read about it since then on various reloading forums i know better. and yes, i stand by my statement, based on EXPERIENCE, not hearsay. the dillon is a ROLLS, and the LNL in a KIA. and thats based on quality of the machinery, not the price. the man asked for opinions, he got em. never had a lee so am not qualified to say. and why are ur panties in a wad about "insulting" someone? no one here got insulted, they simply got an opinion about an inantimate object, not a person. we argue for hours at work about the merits of my dodge 2500 diesel v.s. a buddys ford w/its "powerjoke" engine. we're discussing the truck, not the person. same here. lighten up! lifes too short!

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    as my sister used to say "ur just rude, crude, and socially unacceptable". thats me! and honest. i WISH i had known about all the malfunctions that *** LNL had in store for me when i bought it, even w/ the 1000 "free" bullets. maybe it was just mine and all the others are like swiss watches. but having read about it since then on various reloading forums i know better. and yes, i stand by my statement, based on EXPERIENCE, not hearsay. the dillon is a ROLLS, and the LNL in a KIA. and thats based on quality of the machinery, not the price. the man asked for opinions, he got em. never had a lee so am not qualified to say. and why are ur panties in a wad about "insulting" someone? no one here got insulted, they simply got an opinion about an inantimate object, not a person. we argue for hours at work about the merits of my dodge 2500 diesel v.s. a buddys ford w/its "powerjoke" engine. we're discussing the truck, not the person. same here. lighten up! lifes too short!

Ummm, Sarge...wanna get rid of that *** LNL?

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I'm not sure why you would think someone would try to put two bullets in a case. If you fail to rotate, you would only go to the bullet station once, after adding a second powder charge. As badly as I hate to admit it, I have double charged a case on a 550. ................................................HUMAN ERROR. It is not the fault of the machine...........................................
    I noticed a buddy always left the handle down/ ram in the up position on his progressive press. I didn't have to ask why. ..................................

David

I was making a point, there are posts made from time to time referreing to the 550 being "prone" to double charge. Like you said in your post it is not the machines fault. It is the the guy pulling the handle. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by prgallo View Post
    Wow, there's not enough time to read all the posts, so sorry if this is redundant.

If anyone wants to sell their piece of junk 1000, PM me.

Remember: that person you are ticking off is well armed.

(serious about the PM)

Same here, if someone has been having their 550 throwing double charges please don't put you firearm at risk. I would like to buy it from you before it cost's you more money! Mark
    Last edited by NWFLYJ; 10-12-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    What were the main problems with the LNL? Since it indexes at half steps I know if you have long cases it can be a pain when you go to put a bullet in.

Boolit Buddy
    KYCASTER..........sorry, already did, at a big $$ loss too.
    HUNTER64.....main prob was w/primer system, delivery, seating, you name it. changed out the brass and primer brand but no go. basically rebuilt the whole primer system. out of about 1000 .45acp cases it may have fully seated 25. i got to where i could retime it in my sleep once i put witness marks on the frame. final straw was when i called hornady tech help, again, and the kid said and i quote, "sorry, i can't help you, i don't reload .45" and hung up. had other problems too but the priming system was the main one. when i got the 650, i took it out of the box, set it up in like 30 minutes or so, and proceeded to load 950 rds, w/out a hiccup. was floored to say the least. never loaded over 10 w/out a stoppage on the LNL. now the only time it quits is when i run out of primers and that damned buzzer (bless its heart) goes off. my son wanted to try it. he has never loaded a rd. in his life. he loaded right at 900 .45 w/out stopping cept to refill, says wow this is easy. left w/all my single stage stuff. and a lot more. put a LNL and a 650 up side by side and the diff. in quailty is obvious. like i keep saying, rolls/kia.

sergeant69: Thanks for your comments. I picked up a LNL 2 weeks ago for my cousin who is coming in to town from way up northern Canada and I thought what the heck I am going to load some ammo on it to try it out. I haven't had any problems at all with the primer feed , that might change with more use, I have over 4000 .38 spl's thru it so far. He will be coming down the second week of November so I hope to run about a few more thou thru it till he gets here.

For you Dillon 550 reloaders, can you see the powder in the case at station 2 or 3 or do you have to stand up and look forward to see if there is powder in there? I have never run a 550 and the stuff on youtube seems to show different angles and it is hard to tell. The guy says he checks the powder but you don't see him doing it so I have no idea if he has to lean way over or is it just a glance.

Boolit Buddy
    hopefully it WON'T change w/usage! the LNL primer feed has that dog leg wire to activate it, and a spring to return it. i went thru maybe 3 wires and 6 springs but it would always either not bring the primer forward enough, not pick up a primer from the tube, flip the primer, or more commonly the primer slide would just hang up on the primer slide slot. got tired of adjusting, bending, replacing. and i had to glue a washer under the primer punch to get it to seat a primer deep enough. i grew up on a farm and lived there for 50 years so machinery repairs are not new to me but that thing beat me. how'd you like the instructions that came w/it?

The instructions reminded me of a bbq I bought years ago that was translated from chinese to english sort of.

Primers flow just fine, I havent tried large pistol primers yet so time will tell.

Like I said in a previous post, I just watched the youtube video's for the set up.

to Hunter 64...
    I have a 550 and yes, you can see the powder at station 3 when loading .45 ACP (where bullet is seated) if you lean forward slightly. I load sitting down. It is a good idea to look because I never needed a squib rob until I started using the 550. I have had several "rounds" over the few years using the 550 which did not include powder.
    I wish my 550 worked as smoothly as everyone else describes. I have issues with primer feeding. Primers will not seat smoothly for any extended period. I've spent hours trying to diagnose the problem. I've reloaded for 40 years so it's not like I am a beginner. The construction and build quality of the 550 is obviously quite high. It has been a bit of a disappointment as far as saving me a lot of time. just my experience, your results may vary...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast