Banned

HA!

I found one:

Pat's 35 caliber Checkmaker™
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92975

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

Pat,

I was really ecstatic yesterday at the range when my GP100 print groups that I couldn't believed! I was really at high that I finally develop a round that my gun really likes!

Its been a long time that I've been doing the testing for various configuration and finally settled on this round. Your 35PB really made the difference but I sized the bullet at .357.

Before, sizing the bullets at .358 was not satisfactory, cannot get good groups. Now, I can hit a 2 inch square target at 20 full steps placing all 6 rounds into that square! Isn't it nice!

Thanks for the 35PB Checkmaker of yours!

Kynth

Banned

Outstanding Kynth!

Can you ship some Lumpia in a flat rate box? ...

If I can only find a way to get the Lumpia fresh to you, I will really do it!

My, I will buy all the lumpia that I can find in the supermarket!

Boolit Master
    Wow, you got me craving some now. I may cook some up this weekend.

Out of curiosity, locally-manufactured 1911s fairly inexpensive for you? I'm kind of wish you guys could have become part of us united states, but then again, that's not as attractive a proposition as it was 100years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    If I can only find a way to get the Lumpia fresh to you, I will really do it!

My, I will buy all the lumpia that I can find in the supermarket!

Banned

My Rock Island 1911 ROCKS!!

I received mine last Tuesday. Very nice.. I ended up making a few adjustments to my sizer die. (Since I have two that are the same size) I increased the lead in on the die. They go on much easier. Thankfully, I have a lathe to work with. I also polished up the forming area of the checkmaker, makes it just a bit easier to form them..
    Since I swage jacketed bullets, in 30 cal, I figured I would shape a check, and see how it would work as a short jacket... or in this case, a supershort jacket.. Now I can't wait to get the PB45 checkmaker.. because it worked very well..

I bought a roll of .010 copper, and picked up a cheap paper cutter, that really doesn't work to well.. gotta get a different paper cutter now.. I did see that Harbor freight tools has a benchtop break/shear that is 8inches wide.. Perfect for what I need...LOL

Thanks Pat!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    I bought a roll of .010 copper, and picked up a cheap paper cutter, that really doesn't work to well.. gotta get a different paper cutter now.. I did see that Harbor freight tools has a benchtop break/shear that is 8inches wide.. Perfect for what I need...LOL Thanks Pat!!
    Was it the Harbor Freight Cheapo paper cutter ?
    Because that is the one I got, $12.99 on sale.
    It cuts the 0.016" copper sheet that I bought,
    maybe not as easily as cutting paper, but not a big problem.
    It starts cutting fine, then the last inch or so, I have to
    hit the cutter handle with the palm of my hand.

cutting the 0.010 copper samples I got from Pat
    were no problem at all...and of course cutting
    the 0.004 coke cans is as easy as paper,
    but cutting coke cans straight is a challenge.
    I finally tried taking the "roll" out of it, and that is the ticket.
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 02-04-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I guess, it wouldn't even qualify as cheap.. It was part of an auction for office supplies I won.. figured it may be half way decent.. boy was I wrong.. I need to get one like those ones we used in school with the heavy cutter arm..
    But the Fiskers shears I have cuts it really nicely.. I would rather use a paper cutter or shear to get the pieces the correct dimension..
    I have a PB30, and PB45 comming.. so I want to be able to make a guide for cuts..

Dannix,

Local 1911's were made by ARMSCOR here. I think they're selling it for 24,000 pesos, or 500 dollars plus. Not to hijacked this thread, I read somewhere that Armscor is already making some "frames" for STI. If you asked me, STI really commands a high price here, somewhere around 120thou to 180thou pesos, maybe 2700 dollars.

I don't have any interest in 1911, got a lot of chance to own one but I passed. What I've been dreaming is my GP100. For ten years every time I saw it on a display, excitement really builds up! But right time did came and I finally got one last year. The 35PB really makes my day last Sunday afternoon at the range. Tomorrow I will try again the 357mags that I loaded just now and see what will be the result.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    I received mine last Tuesday. Very nice.. I ended up making a few adjustments to my sizer die. (Since I have two that are the same size) I increased the lead in on the die. They go on much easier. Thankfully, I have a lathe to work with. I also polished up the forming area of the checkmaker, makes it just a bit easier to form them..
    Since I swage jacketed bullets, in 30 cal, I figured I would shape a check, and see how it would work as a short jacket... or in this case, a supershort jacket.. Now I can't wait to get the PB45 checkmaker.. because it worked very well..

I bought a roll of .010 copper, and picked up a cheap paper cutter, that really doesn't work to well.. gotta get a different paper cutter now.. I did see that Harbor freight tools has a benchtop break/shear that is 8inches wide.. Perfect for what I need...LOL

Thanks Pat!!
    It just may need adjustment and sharpening. First off get you an EZE-lap diamond hone:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMPXNO=2615011

A few strokes across the flat cutting (handle end, into the edge) will tune it up nicely. You can use the hone on your Checkmaker™ as well. See how that cuts and if still a problem, check the gap adjustment of the cutter. Maybe out.

The old paper cutters are definitely better than the new ones when sharp and adjusted.

Boolit Master
    Go figure. I would have thought the would be a bit cheaper considering they are in your back yard, but with today's wordwide marketplace, I guess that's no longer a factor.

Hope you 357 loads turns out to be a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    Dannix,

Local 1911's were made by ARMSCOR here. I think they're selling it for 24,000 pesos, or 500 dollars plus. Not to hijacked this thread, I read somewhere that Armscor is already making some "frames" for STI. If you asked me, STI really commands a high price here, somewhere around 120thou to 180thou pesos, maybe 2700 dollars.

I don't have any interest in 1911, got a lot of chance to own one but I passed. What I've been dreaming is my GP100. For ten years every time I saw it on a display, excitement really builds up! But right time did came and I finally got one last year. The 35PB really makes my day last Sunday afternoon at the range. Tomorrow I will try again the 357mags that I loaded just now and see what will be the result.

Boolit Master

Hummmmmmmm I need one of these in .224 and another in 40S&W .401

I got some 35 PB GCs from a friend to try out. I'm impressed. I was able to swage them on with little pressure, using a lee sizing die. The do have to go in tail-end first. The only problem I had was about 1/4 of them were ripping and ending up in the lube groove. I think a) some of that will get fixed with practice and b) it might be a matter of something thicker than a standard pop/beer can aluminum. Like I said, though, I'm impressed. I was also better able to preserve the profile of my hollow points by using the proper top punch on top of the Lee punch. It was awkward, but I think with a little machining I might be onto something.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master

Who in the heck would send gas checks to Albuquerque?

You can mod the Lee punch to preserve your boolit nose and aid in centering the boolit and check during seating. Oil the snot out so the die body and the sides of the punch, not the face. Oil up the boolit and push it part way into the die body, almost flush with the die body. Mix up some JB weld and put it in the die body covering the boolit nose. Put the die body in your press and push the boolit up with the sizer punch. Let it sit for an hour and poof, your sizer punch is now a custom nose punch! I have customized some Lyman nose punches the same way.

I've had some checks tear and found that (for me) centering the boolit and check in the sizing die body, and getting them started straight, helped reduce tearing. If you need more checks, let me know, and get your Checkmaker order in with Pat, he makes a dandy product. Frank

Banned

Experimentation is the key to get the right combination for your needs with PB checks., Boolit alloy, age and hardness all have an effect on tearing, in addition to the hardness of your metals. The smoothness and entrance transition of your sizing die. I give an example of tearing in the 45PB link below.

Once you get your combination down, you'll get a perfect swaged metal base, that works effortlessly with your sizer. I'm getting that with 45 cal and my old lyman 45's. That is a test for sure.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 04-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks gents. Option "a" seems to be the biggest factor right now. I'll try lubing the checks as well. I have gotten better at bullet placement and keeping the check steady and centered. My next stop is my father in law's shop to mod the sizer punch. He's a retired engineer and can fab anything in his shop.

FWIW, Frank, I didn't name names because I didn't want to send a bunch of people to you who wanted free samples. Thanks for the offer. I'm very happy with the ones you sent just scratching my head over the tearing. I am saving my nickels as you say, for my own check maker.
    Last edited by abqcaster; 09-17-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Banned

Old thread with a lot of great links and info from 2010...
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 04-09-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12